Hi and request for info on getting (re)started

Retro, 2WD and 4WD
Neilb
Name: Neil Butler

Hi and request for info on getting (re)started

Post by Neilb »

Hi,

1/2 noob post half RFI.

I used to race back in the days of cougar 2's and Schumacher CATs at Bedworth. I've recently become interested in R/C racing again, but on road doesnt really interest me.

So a few questions:

Do you Race buggies indoor during the winter?
What is competitive now? RC10? Losi xxx? I see that Schumacher is releasing a new cougar, any thoughts on that?
Does everyone use brushless motors and LiPo batteries?
anything else changed while I was gone?

Sorry for the questions on the first post, but you guys seem to be the closest to me racing 1/10 offroad (I'm in nuneaton)

so Thanks in advance :)
Wacker1
Expert Member
Expert Member
Name: Dean Gibbs(Wacker1)
Car: Yoke BD8 17. YZ-2CA

Re: Hi and request for info on getting (re)started

Post by Wacker1 »

Hi Neil,

Good to hear that your intrested in RC Racing again! :D

...........HRCCC always makes New Racers very welcome! 8)

No one tends to Race Off-Road Buggies over the Indoor Winter Season, as many prefer to save them for the Outdoor Summer Season.
The Classes that Racers generally run through the Winter are Mardave V12's, 12th Pan Cars, F1's, Stock Touring & Pro-Stock Touring Cars.

......GOING BACK TO BUGGIES

HRCCC has become a very highly regarded Buggy Club through the Summer Months(we're going to be holding 2 Mid-West Regional Championship Meetings this Year!), with High Turnouts of Racers on a Weekly basis, with 3 Different Classes of Electric Buggies, they are :

RETRO RACERS CLASS - For 1/10th Scale Vintage 2WD & 4WD Off-Road Buggy/Truck up to the Mid 1990's!

2WD COMPETITION CLASS - For ANY 1/10th Scale 2WD Off-Road Buggy!

4WD COMPETITION CLASS - For ANY 1/10th Scale 4WD Off-Road Buggy!

As Buggy Racing has become very Popular again over the last few Years, there is now quite a good choice of Kits available. The majority of Racers at HRCCC run 2WD's, mainly Associated RC10 B4's, but you do see others like the Kyosho Ultima RB5, Losi XXX & Mardave Cobra's.
All of the Buggies above are Rear Motored, but the Craze currently seems to be Mid-Motored 2WD's, as many are finding them easier to Drive.
As you mentioned, the New Schumacher Cougar SV is out very soon(just after the Toy Show in February, I think?), which is of a Mid-Motor/Stick Battery Format.............we'll just have to wait & see if this goes well! There will also be a Completely New Mid-Motor 2WD from Durango, called the DEX210, but I dont think that will be out til the end of the Year!
Other Mid-Motored Cars are out there, like the X-Factory X6(Stick Battery) & Atomic Carbon S2(Saddle Pack Battery), but unfortunately you still need an Associated RC10 B4 as a Doner Car, as these are just Mid-Motored Conversion Kits!
There is also a Mid-Motor Conversion Kit available for the Losi XXXCR Buggy now, called the Atomic Carbon CR2(Saddle Pack Battery), which seems pretty good.......obviously these Mid-Motor Options are More Expensive though.

As for Radio Equipment, most Racers run Brushless Systems now(usually with either a 6.5T or 7.5T Motor), as there more Reliable & less Maintainance! Saying that though, you do still see the odd Racer running 'Brushed'.
Most have gone to Lipo Batteries as well, due to them giving slightly more Power, without the hassles of Discharging/Equalising, like you usually do with NiMh Packs!

I'm sure that you'll really enjoy Racing your Off-Road Buggy at HRCCC! :D

deaks
Name: Scott Deakin
Car: T2 009

Post by deaks »

Hi Neil,

Have you looked at the Coventry club near the airport?

http://www.dammit.org.uk/cmcc/index.htm

They race off-road all year round - but some of the tracks are better suited to larger scale models and they have a stronger leaning to gas than electric (we only run 1/10th scale electric). Since we race on a Saturday and Coventry race on a Sunday, many people come to both during the summer.

I would recommend taking a trip out to go see what takes your fancy!

Cheers,
Scott
"Sponge and a bit of Jam"
Neilb

Post by Neilb »

Thanks for the kind responses, I had a go with ic, didnt like the faff TBH. much prefer cleaner electric.

I'll keep an eye out for any pre loved kit coming up on the forum :)
deaks

Post by deaks »

Hmm... I have two unused buggies that I would be happy to sell:

2WD Losi XXX BK2
4WD Losi XX4

Would you be interested in either one? The biggest problem with both is that Eric (the shop) does not sell many spares, but I have a few that I would chuck in anyway. I ought to put them on the website as they are cluttering my garage, so I'll probably clean them up and take some photos in the next week or so.

Unfortunately I only have brushed motors and speed controllers which would be for sale.

Cheers,
Scott
Neilb

Post by Neilb »

Its possible, how much are we talking?
deaks

Post by deaks »

I was looking for something like £60 for each one.

Both come with some spares, tyres and body shells. I can sort out the exact stuff and get you some photos if you are interested - otherwise I can bring everything to a club meet one weekend for you to take a look.

If you are interested in the brushed kit - I have two 12x2 motors and a quantum speed controller which you can have for £25. I would seriously recommend you go brushless though....

Cheers,
Scott
Neilb

Post by Neilb »

Some pics would be good, the 2WD would be most interesting I think.
Brushed wuld at least get me started I suppose.
deaks

Post by deaks »

No problem - I'll get some pics and post it on the site. Unfortunately it's going to have to wait until next week though as the front shock needs repairing and I have my tax return to complete :(

I'll let you know when I am done.

Cheers,
Scott