Expert Member
Expert Member
Name: Dale Knight
Car: TOP Photon

Buggy Racing for Next Year 2010

Post by Dale »

Dear All,

Some things to consider for next year:

1. What if any ramps do we need extra to what we have? Any new features?
2. Do we have a sub-committee to help run meetings when me and Scott go to BRCA nationals?
3. Classes - Do we have a 4WD heat?
4. I have put us in to host a West Mids BRCA Regional for 2WD and 4WD next year.
5. I would like to host a Tamiya weekend event.
6. The college have allowed us to camp on night before regional so a full weekend event now!!
7. What club cars should we have?
8. Any other suggestions?

2009 was a brilliant year for the outdoor racing and I am focused on us having an even better 2010. Its your club so have your say!

Regards Dale
Hail Ming
Expert Member
Expert Member
Name: James Carroll
Car: MM & X2 Evo

Re: Buggy Racing for Next Year 2010

Post by Hail Ming »

Hi Dale,

If I may be so bold as to start the ball rolling?

1. If we have new ramps, could we have them a little more 'vintage' friendly? Table tops are fine, but we did struggle a bit with the tall/steep ramps.
2. I'll gladly help out on occasions - I just need to be shown how the systems work.
3. I'll pass on this one.
4. Cool
5. Even cooler - I was going to put something on the Tamiya Club site in the New Year - Rich (Biggus Ditchus) suggests we approach Mr Tamiya Club (Chris) to see if we could have a Tamiya Club endorsed event - as this is likely to attract the most people in. If you like we can have a chat about the event, timescales and publicity etc. I'm sure we could enlist the help of others on this one.
6. would this be available for a Tamiya event?
7. A replacement Retro Racers buggy - something like a Fire Dragon or Manta Ray. But what do you think about a Mad Rat (or similar) as a modern 2WD buggy Club Car?
8. Beer tent :wink:

Cheers

James
Try 'Quick Silver', the Amazing Silver Can Powered Touring Car Class at HRCCC
jayst
Name: jamie cheshire
Car: T D . 210,410.408

Post by jayst »

sounds good wot james has said . i will be concentrating on 4wd next summer
Dale
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by Dale »

Hi James,

Yes the weekend meeting was what I thought about for the Tamiya event. We could run alongside a buggy meeting for more modern guys and maybe even link to an inter-club event also to ensure good numbers.

My idea would be something like qualifying on the Saturday and finals and then the same sunday, but round robins and various other events into the night like last man standing etc which would make it a fun weekend.

Food but no beer I am affraid BRCA rules! lol (I know it was tongue in cheek).

I am looking to replace the two smaller ramps for high speed obsticles or for retro we could refer to these as managable ramps! lol. I thought about table tops etc and we should have an option for retro to drive round so you dont need to take them. We can look at this during track builds in 2010.

Great feed back - spread the word so we can get planning.

Happy for you to contact Mr Tamiya and express our desire to book an event early in 2010 so it can be promoted properly. I will also contact Chris Wilkinson to see if we can get some Mardave's down also.

Regards Dale :mrgreen:
Wacker1
Expert Member
Expert Member
Name: Dean Gibbs(Wacker1)
Car: Yoke BD8 17. YZ-2CA

Post by Wacker1 »

I'm really pleased to hear that we're already thinking about the Off-Road Outdoor Buggy Season for Summer 2010 :shock:

I must admit, we really did have a Fantastic Season for 2009! :D

As far as Track Markings/Obstacles are concerned, we did quite a few Improvements for 2009........saying that though, we could probably do at some point, in giving our Newer Ramps, Rumble Strip & Table Top another Coat of Black Varnish, ready for the New Season.
It would definately be a good idea, for the Club to Replace the 2 Smaller Ramps, due to them being extremely 'bowed', from a good few Years of Racing...........these would also benefit the Drivers that Race in the Tamiya/Retro Class :)

It may also be a good idea, to Replace our Older/Steeper Table Top Ramp, as it was Unuseable for the last couple of Meetings.........we could have another one made to the Proper BRCA Dimensions(like our New one).

If anyone else out there, has any Ideas/Obstacles they'd like to see at HRCCC for 2010, please feel free to Post them up! 8)

My Mate Daz(Who Built this Years Features), is ready & waiting if anymore need Constructing!

An HRCCC Off-Road Buggy Sub-Commitee, is definately what the Doctor Ordered! :lol:

Good to hear that we're going to be holding a 4WD Mid-West Off-Road Regional Meeting, as well as 2WD :) The Option of Camping should also improve Numbers for the Club Meeting on the day before, as well as the Regional itself! It will also make the Organisation of Setting-Up less stressful & rushed :D

The Special Tamiya/Retro Off-Road Weekend Event sounds like Fun........I think that I'll have to Re-live my Youth again & get my Tamiya Boomerang out!

A Club Retro Car & 2WD Competition Car 'FOR HIRE', sounds like a Good Idea to me!..........a Re-Issued 1980's Tamiya Classic & an Ansmann Madrat seem like Good choices 8)

Looking forward to it already!
warr2
Experienced Member
Experienced Member
Name: David

Post by warr2 »

What are peoples thoughts on running modern cars in with the retro racers if they have a silver can motor?

With the current setup there isn't a real beginners class.

It's a choice between either running full blown modified or an using a retro car which will be more fragile than the modern equivalent, difficult to get spares for etc etc.

Higher rostrum if possible would be good at least for regionals if not club meetings. - The marshalls can then stand straight in front of the rostrum and don't block the drivers view of the track which they tend to do if they are positioned in the middle.

Warr
lapster
Average Member
Average Member
Name: andy lappin

Post by lapster »

hi there,

i will also help out when ever i can, just another idea how about 3 rounds and 2 finals ?
West Mids BRCA Regional for 2WD and 4WD next year, would this be over a weekend i.e camping and beer?
also another idea how about RTR / RETRO class together.
Hail Ming
Expert Member
Expert Member
Name: James Carroll
Car: MM & X2 Evo

Post by Hail Ming »

David,

Not keen on the idea of mixing vintage and modern buggies - the vintage buggy heat is just a bit of fun and I'd like to keep it that way. It also defeats the point of calling the class "Retro Racers" if you allow modern buggies and would weaken the appeal.

The care-free nostalgic racing experience of Retro Racers was what brought new racers to HRCCC from the likes of Tamiya Club - these guys, and the example they set, have been instrumental in making the current Quick Silver touring car class a success. If someone wants to join in they're more than welcome - an old car can be picked up off ebay for next to nothing. I've just got hold of a nice Tamiya Falcon for only £30 posted.

There's nothing fragile about the old cars - I didn't see any broken wishbones or any terminal failures last season - in comparison, I saw plenty of carnage in the heat that followed the vintage buggies. As for spares, they aren't a problem - in fact availability is better than some of the modern cars.

Thanks for the suggestion, but as I've personally invested a lot of time building up the Retro Racers brand for HRCCC, I don't want to see it diluted.

Cheers

James
Try 'Quick Silver', the Amazing Silver Can Powered Touring Car Class at HRCCC
overson
Average Member
Average Member
Name: neil overson
Car: Xrayn 009/crc Gen lx

Post by overson »

Will there be 4WD class next year.
Just got my self a kyosho lazer for next year.
Fusion Hobbies.
xray 009/ 10.5
CRC XL/ 10.5
Dale
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by Dale »

$wd - My Thomas has a D4 now so he will be runing this so with a bit of luck a 4WD class will be strong enough.

Regionals - The Regionals will enable us to have a weekends fun so we will be providing a BBQ on the night etc.

Heats - Buggy racing tends to run as regionals which is 4 heats and one final.

Regards Dale :shock:
AntH
Name: Antony Hart
Car: TTech '95

Post by AntH »

Hello, me and another couple of 1/10th offroad returnees are likely to be turning up to race this year. Did one meeting last year with my old pred and really enjoyed the friendly club and the track. So now have got a B4 to race this summer. Another 2 mates who used to race have also been tempted back by brushless and lipo and are likely to be turning up, both with B4's as well. Any idea when the first meeting will be? Hopefully the meetings will get a good turnout like last year..?
Ben Cosgrove
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by Ben Cosgrove »

April 24th I believe?
HPI/Hot Bodies/Maverick/Merlin/Optifuel/GM/Muchmore UK/CustomBlitz/Hudy
Dale
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by Dale »

yes it is the 24th for the first meeting - full details to follow shortly.

We are now loking at building a further two small ramps and a BRAND NEW L shaped Table top for this season!!

BBQ will be as normal and regionals will now allow us to camp the night before so a full weekends racing!!!!

We think numbers will be slightly up on last year so we want as many people supporting the series as possible.

Kind Re :D gards Dale
Toppers3933
Name: Nick

Post by Toppers3933 »

for a newbie which class would be best? i like the idea of 4wd as i used to race 1/8th rallycross a good few years ago. was just wondering how many people there will be in the 4wd class? am i best to stick to the simplicity of 2wd? any help or pointer would be greatly appreciated.
cheers
nick
Ben Cosgrove
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by Ben Cosgrove »

Toppers3933 wrote:for a newbie which class would be best? i like the idea of 4wd as i used to race 1/8th rallycross a good few years ago. was just wondering how many people there will be in the 4wd class? am i best to stick to the simplicity of 2wd? any help or pointer would be greatly appreciated.
cheers
nick
RETRO class! I am sure they would be welcoming most cars with a silver can motor?

more drivers will do 2wd over 4wd but there should be heat of 4wd at least. I will be swapping between the 2 classes throughout the year I'm sure.

It doesn't matter whatever class you enter though as there is more than enough knowledge in the club to help newbies aswell as experienced racers, we all start somewhere....I started at Hinckley with 2wd many moons ago..

Ben
HPI/Hot Bodies/Maverick/Merlin/Optifuel/GM/Muchmore UK/CustomBlitz/Hudy