Scottish Carpet Championships

Post anything that does not fit into any of the other forums.
Dreadstar
Getting started
Getting started
Name: David W. Young
Car: V12's & offroad

Scottish Carpet Championships

Post by Dreadstar »

I've entered this years Championship in the Mardave Pro-Stock 23T series.
The 1st round was on Sunday at Dunfermline High school,where I aquitted myself after the rather poor showing at your GP.
Please bear in mind,that this is only my 3rd ever outing racing the 'Daves. I entered the brushed class,mainly because of cost, I can't afford the brushless set-up just now. Other than changing the motor,I've not changed a thing on the Dave since Nick sorted my tyres at the GP.
All I can really say,is that I had my best days racing to date. Four heats of qualifying and a 2 leg final.

The Pro-stock Mardave class was split into 2 different heats,with myself running in the second group.Each heat was run over 6 minutes.

Heat 1:- I got off to not too bad a start,and after negotiating the first 2 bends,hit the main straight in third place,(running anti-clockwise).After the next long lefthand sweeper,cutting inside the first two cars,I get into the lead,and 21 laps later,I cross the line in 1st place. On checking the results for the two heats,I'm really surprised to find that I'm in the TQ spot.

Heat 2:- On a high, I get off to an absolute flyer,dodging the carnage at the beginning of the main straight,and nip off into 1st place again. Even the odd bump and shunt isn't enough to dislodge me from first,and 22 laps later I take 1st place again.
Checking the results from heat 2,I find that I'm TQ again,but I've chunked one of my rear tyres,and I haven't brought my spare car with me Embarrassed

Heat 3:- Try as I might, I just cannot catch the leading 2 cars,and the chunked tyre is causing me some problems,( rolling). Still,I manage to put in a respectabe 20 laps. It's not good enough though to hold onto TQ though,and I slip to 3rd overall.

Heat 4:- A really lousy round this one was,my chunked tyre lost even more foam in a collision,and I could only manage 6th place with a mere 18 laps. The handling was away to pot,and I rolled the car quite a few times,and spun out quite a lot too.

After the heats were over,I found that I'd qualified for the 'A' Final in 5th place on the grid. laugh My average lap time is a mere 17.04 seconds

Final 1st leg:- I manage to get a spare set of rear wheels from a very kind gentleman,with the same tyres as I'd been using,so with a new set of treads,i head off to the track. By now,the amount of additive on the track is getting to the tricky stage.
Not used to these new tyres,I find that I'm spinning out quite a bit,and only manage 19 laps,which is still good enough to give me 4th place.

Final 2nd leg:- I change my gearing for the last run,from 15/50 to a 16/50,as I found that I was being overtaken on the back straight.
I'm getting the hang of these tyres now,and I storm off the line and catch 2 cars on the first sweeper,and jump up to 3rd.Through a couple of bumps and early turn-ins,I drop to 4th,but I make it back up,and again,19 laps later,I cross the line in 3rd place.

Overall score for the day...........3rd place. I'm really pleased with todays result,as it has proved to me that I can manage to compete quite competatively in this class,on only my 3rd attempt at the class too.

Kyosho Inferno U.S. Sports c/w RB WS7 III/2047 pipe
Associated RC10B4
Mardave:-R12 Rebel;Ministock;V12 Hotrod(2)
Maverick Atom 1/18th
Dreadstar
Getting started
Getting started
Name: David W. Young
Car: V12's & offroad

Re: Scottish Carpet Championships

Post by Dreadstar »

Well,after all the races were run throughout the series,I finished in 3rd place overall. A really good result for me,I'm sure you will agree.
Kyosho Inferno U.S. Sports c/w RB WS7 III/2047 pipe
Associated RC10B4
Mardave:-R12 Rebel;Ministock;V12 Hotrod(2)
Maverick Atom 1/18th