After a bit more speed (Motor timing etc)

Stock and Modified
Rich
Average Member
Average Member
Name: Richard Ninness
Car: T2 008, X-6², V12

After a bit more speed (Motor timing etc)

Post by Rich »

Hi guys,

My car feels as though it's lacking a bit of speed on the main straights etc so I've thought about making a few adjustments.

I've only done the basic setup on my esc (LRP Sphere 07 spec) and havn't adjusted the timing on my motor (Nosram Storm evo). I think I've got the gearing pretty much spot on though.

I take it there's some settings or different programs that can be changed on the esc, are there any changes I can make that might give me a bit more speed? Not too sure on the timing with brushless motors either, what can I increase it up to without risking damaging the motor?

The only other thing I can think of is my wiring, I've used TQ 13 stuff which is supposed to be good, but I'm not sure if it's too thin?

If anyone can give me some advice or show me how to improve it on Saturday it'd be greately appreciated! :D
Rich
Average Member
Average Member

Re: After a bit more speed (Motor timing etc)

Post by Rich »

Changed the ESC settings on Saturday, motor timing is already increased. Car felt a bit better but still not as quick as I'd like. It looks as though it's down to the kit I'm running.

I understand the latest ESC's (LRP SPX, GM 120 etc) seem to give an increase in speed over the older stuff like my sphere. My Lipo is only 30C too. I'd rather not upgrade my ESC yet as I only just bought it a few months back, but would a 40C lipo give me the extra speed I need?
Wacker1
Expert Member
Expert Member
Name: Dean Gibbs(Wacker1)
Car: Yoke BD8 17. YZ-2CA

Post by Wacker1 »

Hi Rich,

When Martyn, Gary & me were Racing in the 13.5T Class Last Year, we were running the 25c Trackpower Lipo's to begin with, which gave reasonable Performance.

After a few weeks, we ALL decided to upgrade to the Newer 30c Orion Lipo's................we could'nt believe on how much more Speed/Power they gave us! :shock:

I would definately say that if you upgrade to the New 40c Lipo's, you'll notice a Performance increase, even with your existing LRP Sphere 07 & Nosram Storm Evo Motor! 8)
Rich
Average Member
Average Member

Post by Rich »

Cheers for the reply dean! After seeing the new TrakPower dark series lipos I cant think of a good reason not to upgrade! :D
Dale
Expert Member
Expert Member
Name: Dale Knight
Car: TOP Photon

Post by Dale »

Hi Rich,

From memory you bought my 35c cells from me which will be as good as anything else. I have been advised by senior people in the hobby that c rating are not the bee all and end all and that c rating cannot always be trusted (what out for BRCA guidance on this I am sure).

Work on freeing up your transmission and speedo settings. The Nosram motors are as quick if not quicker than anything else. You might find stock spec speedo's a better option or if you can get your hands on a GM set up correctly you might see a difference also.

If you want to try my 13.5t Nosram to see if quicker you are more than welcome (might help me sell it!)

Regards
Rich
Average Member
Average Member

Post by Rich »

Dale, I think they're 30C which is why I thought I would see a difference if I upgraded to 40C. I thought if I stayed with a reputable brand the ratings should be about right. I think the BRCA only test things like dimensions etc too, they don't test whether or not the stated performance of the battery is correct (apparently that is the responsibility of the buyer!).

Yes if I could try your 13.5 out that'd be great, but I don't think the motor is the issue. I've found a place that sells the LRP SPX at a reasonable price so that's always an option.

Drivetrain is all pretty free, but I'll strip it down and replace the belts anyway just in case this does make a difference. I increased the ESC punch settings to max and it did make a noticeable difference, just not enough :(

Speed wise comparing my car to Gibbo's; it's like I'm standing still on the straight! He's running 40C and an SPX, hence why I thought these were the most likely reasons why I'm not as quick.
Ian_Smith
Committee
Committee
Name: Ian Smith
Car: Schumacher Mi4LP

Post by Ian_Smith »

Rich,

It might be an idea to see what roll out Gibbo is running. Currently I'm running 5.95, and I don't think I'm anything like as quick as you two, but having said that, speed down the straight will depend a fair bit on the corner speed you can carry out of the last corner, and obviously any punch you can add in addition to that as well as the roll out which will determine the ultimate top speed (assuming the straight is long enough).

My Motor / Speedo combination came from Dale, and had received the Ben Cosgrove treatment (advanced timing on the motor + lord knows what else). I found that I couldn't control the car out of the corners so have since removed all advance, and set the Speedo to punch setting 2 ( of 8 ). This allowed me to drive the car again, and put a set-up on the car which allowed me to control an ever increasing amount of punch. Since then I steadily increased the punch setting last week up to 5 or 6 - will probably see what else I can change this week to try to catch you guys up a bit more (but unfortunately I am probably getting close to my ability) :lol: Still I can dream :wink:

Ian
Schumacher Mi4LP / Hobbywing Justock / Speed Passion V3.0 17.5
"Speed is nothing without Control" - wish I had just one of 'em! :-)
Rich
Average Member
Average Member

Post by Rich »

I think Gibbo is running similar, although he's using some trinity thing that's geared a bit differently to the nosrams etc! Tried everything I can with the kit I've got, just going to have to buy some new bits I think!

Keep at it Ian :wink: (I think you're higher in the championship than me at the moment!)
Wacker1
Expert Member
Expert Member
Name: Dean Gibbs(Wacker1)
Car: Yoke BD8 17. YZ-2CA

Post by Wacker1 »

Gearingwise, if you stick between 5.5 & 6.1(depending on Track Layouts), you cant go far wrong!

If you want that extra bit of Performance, it looks like you'll have to Spend some Money! :cry:

Your Cheapest option for more Power, would be to go for a New Lipo Battery.............I would Recommend the 40c LRP or Nosram 5300 Stick Pack Lipo. Martyn, Ben, me etc are currently running them & find them great! :D

Option2 would be to go for a New Motor........the GM & Novak Ballistic 13.5T Motors seem to be the quickest out of the bunch! Not sure if its best to wait though, as the New LRP X12/Nosram Pure 10.5 will be out soon!

Other than that, its forking out over £200 for a GM Genius(Gen3) or LRP SPX/Nosram Stock Spec Speedo :shock:
Rich
Average Member
Average Member

Post by Rich »

The way I've justified it to myself is that I'm going to need a new ESC at some point so I may as well buy it now :lol: Hopefully the motor I've got will be quick enough with a new esc and lipo! I think I'm going to go for the new Trakpower lipo, they've not been out that long but I've heard good things about them!

Gearing wise I usually go for 5.9, seemed to get a bit too warm anything below that.

Cheers for the help guys! :D
Ian_Smith
Committee
Committee
Name: Ian Smith
Car: Schumacher Mi4LP

Post by Ian_Smith »

Rich,

I spoke to Craig on Saturday, seems he's running some Trinity motor that I've never heard of that he had off a team driver. I don't know what rollout he's got on it. Over the course of the day I steadily upped the punch profile on my Nosram Evo ISTC speedo to it's punchiest (program 8), and also lowered my gear ratio down to 5.73. Unfortunately Craig was still a little quicker than me down the straight (personally I think someone ought to check his motor :D ).

On a brighter note, running as I do with what amounts to be a hover-craft fan over the motor meant that it wasn't over-heating, so I may have a bit of lee-way to apply a little advance on the motor. But probably won't bother because I'm happy enough running where I am - my expectations have never been to be at the top of the 13.5 tree :lol: So long as I can compete against Messrs Child & Halfpenny I'm a happy bunny! At the moment I think that on a good day I might even be able give young Mr Deakin a run for his money :wink:

Ian
Schumacher Mi4LP / Hobbywing Justock / Speed Passion V3.0 17.5
"Speed is nothing without Control" - wish I had just one of 'em! :-)
Rich
Average Member
Average Member

Post by Rich »

I think it'll be the esc that makes the difference Ian. What the latest esc's do is increase motor timing on the fly, like having a second gear almost. I've seen it with craigs, one minute I'm level with him on the straight and next he's gone!

Unfortunately I couldn't make last Saturday and can't make this Sat either, so I've got my work cut out if Craig keeps winning! Hopefully with fewer daft errors and more consistency I might have a chance :oops:

I've shamelessly bought an LRP SPX, Trakpower 40C lipo and a few other bits, so if I've not got the speed now I'm whacking a 10.5 in :P