Classes for indoor season 2009/10

Post anything that does not fit into any of the other forums.
Dale
Expert Member
Expert Member
Name: Dale Knight
Car: TOP Photon

Re: Classes for indoor season 2009/10

Post by Dale »

Trying to avoid this if possible Rich to be honest. I think we are best staying with rubber.

Hope this is ok.

Regards Dale
Richie
Name: Richard Wilson

Post by Richie »

HI Dale

The reason being the Tamiya Mini I was considering has wheels a similar size to Mardave which are readily available. OK, Thanks for responding. Richard
Dale
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by Dale »

Just noticed a question about lipo's and a silver can for mardave.

The standard class will be silver can and 4 cell nothing else. For brushless it will also be 4 cell, not lipo's in Mardave allowed.

Regards

Dale
Hail Ming
Expert Member
Expert Member
Name: James Carroll
Car: MM & X2 Evo

Post by Hail Ming »

I'm trying to attract interest from outside the Club - so far I've posted on RC Race Chat and Modelsport UK forums with news of the new Tamiya/RTR silver can TC Class (see links below). Does anyone know of any other good forums where we can find club racers and potential newcomers?

http://www.rcracechat.com/vb/showthread.php?t=53057

http://www.msuk-forum.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=65476

Also - if anyone is going to Leicester RC Model Car Club, please mention this new class to some of guys there that race Tamiya TT01s.

Cheers

James
Try 'Quick Silver', the Amazing Silver Can Powered Touring Car Class at HRCCC
Richie

Post by Richie »

Has the club considered opening this up to any touring car with a silver can motor.

thinking about this, often secondhand touring cars are cheaper than some of the ready to runs. If anyone has an old TC, say over 2 years old it could be included in this category. Richard
Dale
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by Dale »

Hi Richard,

Good point this.

Richard what do you think about this? Would this take away some of the Tamiya following or help grow the class?

Regards

Dale
Hail Ming
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by Hail Ming »

Richard (et al),

I'd pefer the class to be the preserve of Tamiya and other entry level cars, but I can't see a problem in principle with the class being opened up to any touring car - provided the silver can rule is adhered to. Tamiya and RTR cars are usually budget versions of competition TCs and can perform surprising well out of the box. As we've found racing the retro buggies over the summer - use of a silver can motor has been a great way to equal the performance between different cars; whether they were designed in the early 80s or mid 90's.

With regard to cost - you can buy a second hand ready-to-run Tamiya touring car for about £50 - a new HPI E10 RTR costs about £100 - similar to other manufacturers. Price shouldn't be an issue here.

What we must keep sight of is the motivation for the class i.e. fun on a budget to attract newcomers and those wanting low-cost-not-too-serious racing.

What does anyone else think?

James
Last edited by Hail Ming on Thu Sep 10, 2009 10:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Eddystone
Name: Richard Dobson
Car: Tamiya TA05v2IFS

Post by Eddystone »

Hi Richie, I don't believe it would be a problem racing older touring cars in this class as long as the 27turn sealed silver can motor is used. I think the major point has to be whether these competition level cars are raced in the spirit of the entry level racer, which I suspect any driver with an older competition car wishing to race in this class would probably understand. Part of what has made the Retro Racers class over the summer such a success has been the friendly banter on the rostrum and the carefree attitude of the racers. Hopefully that can be transferred indoors with this touring car class. I suspect If a drivers sole aim is to win they will surely want to race against worthy opponents and will therefore tend to the faster race classes leaving the fun racers out to enjoy an afternoons racing with like minded drivers and a silver can motor.

Just my thoughts on it. I hope the class will be predominantly a fun class to race in using the sort of cars average newcomers are likely to own. If it encourages some newcomers to want to progress to other classes afterwards then thats surely a good thing for the club.

Richard ( Another one! )
stox217
Expert Member
Expert Member
Name: Nick
Car: V12

Post by stox217 »

:roll:
Last edited by stox217 on Sun Sep 19, 2010 10:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Richie

Post by Richie »

I personally for a bit of fun would like to try this.

I have in the loft an old touring car along with brushed speedo and servo. Is their any specific sort of silver can or will anything comply.

Also would their be any other rules ? i.e. weight, tyres, lipo, 6 cell ? I think if I used my old radio 6 cell/lipo batteries and a handout pt I would only need to buy the specific sort of motor. Richard
Hail Ming
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by Hail Ming »

Hi RW,

I think the silver can motor is the only rule - we don't want too many rules that could put off potential racers. With regard to what type of motor - I suggest a G2 is the limit, but ideally people will use the 27T silver can they get with the kit.

James
Eddystone
Name: Richard Dobson
Car: Tamiya TA05v2IFS

Post by Eddystone »

As i understood it it would be 27T silver can sealed motor ( 540 size ), 6 cell battery, rubber tyres. The sort of basic set-up a newcomer to racing would have as standard. Suitable motors are easily purchased from many sellers on eBay for just a few Pounds. Cheap & fun racing. I look forward to racing with you Richie.
Last edited by Eddystone on Thu Sep 10, 2009 8:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Richie

Post by Richie »

Ok all, I'm looking forward to this, should be good fun !
gjh1000
Name: GJH

Post by gjh1000 »

One class just for Standard Mardaves with G2 motor is really really great news. I do not intend the upgrade my son and I to 27T rebuidable motors so had decided not to do the next series. But now my son and I can compete failly with other standard MArdaves this is relly really great news. We now plan to do the series. This will be our first series at Hinckley. Way To Go......Graham
Dale
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by Dale »

Hi Graham,

I am pleased you see the Mardave as a positive step!!

Just to bring us back to this Tamiya discussion, I am sure many will want to run a lipo as it is easier and I see the silver can as the main leveller in this class.

I see this as a fantastic way to bring the young drivers through with silver cans who do not have to go straight to 13.t brushless etc.

The introduction of the Tamiya guys has been a relevation outdoors to the club, not only because of their great attitute to racing but their general attempts to help out with everything from creating classes to packing the track away. With this in mind I see this as a great bolt on to our club racing and I think its great Mr Wilson will be taking part.

I say we try and keep it as much Tamiya as possible but any RTR car could in theory be added. As for Mardave's running in this heat.........no sorry, this class is forming its own neish and I give it my full support.

Just to confirm guys that I have today received our Much More Tyre supply and we have the Sorex tyres coming also. These will be available to purchase Saturday after the AGM (please attend the AGM if you possibly can - start time 10.30am prompt).

Regards Dale