Retro, 2WD and 4WD
Dale
Expert Member
Expert Member
Name: Dale Knight
Car: TOP Photon

4WD running with 2WD

Post by Dale »

I was approached by a racer on Saturday regarding our decision to run 4WD and 2WD together.

What I would like is for you to put forward your thoughts regarding this please.

Do we quality together but run separate finals?

Do we stay as we are?

Do we quality together but only allow 4WD in B final and not A?

I am happy for you to decide and for you to have your say. I was not aware it was a problem until I was approached so as this is why we have the forum this is the place to offer your thoughts.

Regards

Dale - Chairman
JamesG

Re: 4WD running with 2WD

Post by JamesG »

It's a shame there are only a couple of us running 4wd as our own heat would be preferable but unless there's 6 of us would it be worth it? Also the need for volunter marshalls for the following race would annoy people.

I don't see the problem with being in the final where your qualifying time puts you in, I'm certainly happy to move over if a 2wd wants to get past and go after dean, if we're quick why can't we run with the others that are the same speed?

If people really do mind and our times are good enough to qualify in the A could we go from the back of the A grid rather than being at the front of the B?
Dale
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by Dale »

Hi James,

The first thing is I want to confirm is that I support 4wd and I am only confirming someone's comments, so it will be interesting to see what feedback is provided on this as I just want to make sure we are all happy etc (please do not stop coming!!)

I guess the issue is those 2wd who do not quality for the A and have issues with 4wd's taking points away etc.

As with any club I want to go with the majority, so would be good to hear from the A drivers as well.

Warren is hopefully popping down this week and might bring his 4wd and I am considering getting one myself to try and build the numbers etc.

Regards

Dale
nick
Getting started
Getting started
Name: Nick Hudson
Car: TLR22, AC S2, B4

Post by nick »

i may be tempted to part with my new CAT SX if you're interested Dale ?. i thought i may have time to run both classes this year but it hasn't worked out that way so far.

nick
warr2
Experienced Member
Experienced Member
Name: David

Post by warr2 »

My thoughts are that 4wd offers a definite advantage. They shouldn't count owards the 2wd championship.

If there is enough cars then they should run seperately.

However I don't have a problem with 1 or 2, 4wd cars mixed in with the 2wd class.

I can see the point about 2wd cars not being able to run in the same final.

But if a guest driver turns up from another club with a 2wd, only races 1 week and puts it in the A, then that has exactly the same effect with regards to members championship points.

What I would also say is that as someone who qualified towards the back end of the A final grid, I lost at least 30 seconds with time spent on my roof in every race.
If you're spending that much time upside down it doesn't matter whether the car is 2wd or 4wd.
JamesG

Post by JamesG »

I am committed to running 4wd this summer so I will be racing in whatever heat/final the majority decide.

Unfortunately I won't be able to make this Saturdays meeting but I will be at almost every other meeting.
Wacker2
Name: Jon Seals(Wacker2)
Car: TLR 22

Post by Wacker2 »

I would probably say that the best thing, in an ideal world, would be to have a decent amount of 4wd guys racing so that we can have a 4wd championship aswell as a 2wd championship... but I think this will only really work if we are getting into the 2 heats of 4wd. I think, even if we have a consistant amount of 4wd's to run in only 1 heat, it may deter them from running as they may get bored of racing against the same people week in week out! I talk from experience, remember 1/12th racing indoors, lol!

I agree with Warr that 4wd do have an advantage over 2wd buggies, but at our club I dont think thats gonna be the case... especially not with the S2's taking over the world!

I think the best thing this year is to simply have a Buggy championship... have 2wd's and 4wd's racing against each other depending on the individuals driving abillity and not by the type of car they race. Makes things very simple and may attract more 4wd's to the club.

Jon!
Dale
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by Dale »

Hi Nick,

Fancy offering me something soooooo tempting!!! I used to run Cats for years in my youth............
JamesG

Post by JamesG »

There's definately an advantage in having 4wd, how else would I be finishing in the top half of the A? :D
nick
Getting started
Getting started
Name: Nick Hudson
Car: TLR22, AC S2, B4

Post by nick »

Dale wrote:Hi Nick,

Fancy offering me something soooooo tempting!!! I used to run Cats for years in my youth............
i'll bring it along on saturday if you like - it's a bit different to the original CAT short wheelbase :D :D (i used to have one of them back in 1983/4 ish !) - i sound like a right old git now....

anyway, back on topic....i have no problem with the 4wd's running with the 2wd's at the moment until such a time when there are sufficient numbers to split them out into a seperate heat - its all toy car racing to me :D
Dale
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by Dale »

Hi all,

Thanks for your feedback.

I think that it might be that we keep 4wd in with 2wd for the time being which seems to make sense, but to keep the discussion focused, do we feel 4wd should compete in the A?

Again, please do not take this as my view or in anyway a negative on 4wd, I just want to ensure I am getting the view of the members and everyone has the chance to discuss this.

Regards

Dale
The mad1
Name: keith jacques
Car: associated b4

Post by The mad1 »

personally i think 4wd should be kept in the same heat during the day not on there own as there isnt enough as yet and for the final can you have there points split from the 2wd's, ie if the first 4wd comes second in the A final then class that as 1st in the 4wd final and move the following 2wd's up
not sure if that is possible with the system just an idea that way they get a good race day and there points dont effect other formulas
Dale
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by Dale »

The issue is 4wd taking up A final places which can have a large effect on points etc.

I will mention this is driver briefing on Saturday morning.

Regards
Wacker2
Name: Jon Seals(Wacker2)
Car: TLR 22

Post by Wacker2 »

Dale wrote:
I think that it might be that we keep 4wd in with 2wd for the time being which seems to make sense, but to keep the discussion focused, do we feel 4wd should compete in the A?

Dale
Do we keep 4wd's in the A Final??? ... for 2009 season, yes!!!

Until we have enough 4wds running on a regular basis to create 2 heats of cars, the 4wd should be mingled with the 2wds. whilst doing that, i think it would be unfair to strip 4wds of their final position in the A final if they have driven well to get there.

So, to repeat my previous post, for the 2009 season we should not think of 2wd championships or 4wd championships... but instead, think of an offroad buggy championship. then for future years/seasons, if we get enough 4wd drivers attending on a regular basis we can adjust this to having two seperate classes.

I think for simplicity this is how it has to be - thats my opinion.

See you all at racing tomorrow - I FINALLY have batteries so I will definately be racing! :D

Jon
wackyracer
Getting started
Getting started
Name: craig gibson

Post by wackyracer »

Personelly i think its a bit unfair to run 4wd wiv 2wd cause 4wd are alot faster then 2wd ! I Think if theres enough cars they shud have there own class from craig gibson