Wacker1
Expert Member
Expert Member
Name: Dean Gibbs(Wacker1)
Car: Yoke BD8 17. YZ-2CA

ANOTHER SUCCESSFUL BUGGY MEETING AT HINCKLEY

Post by Wacker1 »

Hi all,

I'm very pleased to say that we had another successful Buggy Meeting at Hinckley Today(Saturday 9th May). :D

The Weather was on our side, staying Dry allday & another turnout of over 30 Drivers! We also tried a slightly different Track Layout, having the Table Top Ramp & Technical Sections right infront of the Rostrum, which seemed to work out quite well.
Dale did another fantastic job of running Race Control, as well as keeping all the Racers happy with Food, from his BBQ........I'm already looking forward to the Burgers & Hotdogs nextweek! :lol:

HERE ARE SOME PHOTOS FROM TODAYS BUGGY MEETING(9th May - Meeting2) :

MEETING3 - NEXTWEEK(SATURDAY 16th MAY)
As many of you already know, we've had a Bridge added to our Track for this Season, that incorporates the Lap Counting Loop, which I think many prefer, due to it giving it a more realistic Racing look!
For nextweeks Meeting, we will be making a few more Improvements, not only by giving the Track Layout a more Radical Design, but with some Extra Features/Obstacles!

Would anyone be able to bring a Lawnmower & a Rake?
Last edited by Wacker1 on Sat May 16, 2009 10:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hail Ming
Expert Member
Expert Member
Name: James Carroll
Car: MM & X2 Evo

Re: ANOTHER SUCCESSFUL BUGGY MEEETING AT HINCKLEY

Post by Hail Ming »

Following on from Dean's post...

The track layout was excellent...thanks to everyone involved in setting it out. Especially liked the doubles and the complex of bends leading into it.

Thank you also to everyone who participated in the retro class...it was good spirited racing and worked well as both an entry level heat and something different for the more experienced racer.

James
Try 'Quick Silver', the Amazing Silver Can Powered Touring Car Class at HRCCC
warr2
Experienced Member
Experienced Member
Name: David

Post by warr2 »

Not a bad meeting.

A few areas we can fine tune though.

1 or 2 small areas where we can improve with the track etc.

One or 2 of the corners were coming unpegged and we need to put in more pegs in certain areas. - e.g end of hairpins. -
This will be worse at the regional where the track will see more use, especially if it rains. -

Also there was a problem with the ends of the second ramp in the double jump lifting in round 2. - Easily solved. by pegging down the end of the jump.

Some of the older ramps actually have holes drilled in the front corners specifically for this purpose. - You then put a slight kink in the hose just in front of the jump or run the hose over the edge to avoid cars hitting the peg.

The other area that I thought could be improved was marshalling. - There were a few reasons for this. -

e.g. predominantly younger members marshalling certain heats. People not turning up to marshall. Not Paying attention etc.

But what also makes things awkard is that because of the way the rostrum is done we can't position marshalls directly in front of it , or even directly to the side as it is set so far back.

Making space for a marshall point when laying the track directly behind the table top would be one way round it. - You can't see that area anyway.

Point 6 wasn't an ideal place for a marshall due to the double jump directly behind it.

Having said that, I preferred having the technical sections nearer to the rostrum with the straight on the far side.

Overall a good meeting though, and we're making definite progress. :mrgreen:
Eddystone
Name: Richard Dobson
Car: Tamiya TA05v2IFS

Post by Eddystone »

Hi,

Enjoyed yesterday's racing, was great to get the old retro cars out and running again. I've got one issue though regarding ramps and obstacles from a retro point of view. The retro cars are relatively heavy and many have very poor suspension by modern comparisons - the ones I raced yesterday having very basic undamped springs only. ( I was the Green VW Beetle ) The table top and the low ramps were fine enough and could be taken at a slow enough speed but the largest ramp in the centre of the course had no slow speed option. As any one watching may have noticed - taken fast my cars bounced and rolled, taken slow they fell off the end and rolled anyway. I kept the marshall positioned after that ramp fairly busy! If the larger ramps could be built with down ramps on the other side like the table top has that would be handy.

By the way - did anyone get any photos of the retro racing - I saw a few cameras around while we were racing and any shots you've got would be handy to help us promote the racing to new retro racers.

Cheers.

Richard
Wacker2
Name: Jon Seals(Wacker2)
Car: TLR 22

Post by Wacker2 »

Warr, I know I didn't race yesterday (again) becuase of battery issues (again), but I'm getting frustrated with you complaining about the track all the time.

Stop critisizing unless you're willing to help build it.

Simple solution, if you think there are improvements to be made then turn up earlier and help build it!!!

I'm afraid that has to go to all who think there are improvements to be made... I know we are far from perfect, but rather than just saying what needs to happen, you should turn up on time to make it happen!

I was also quite dissapointed how many club members turned up late, approx 12-12.30pm, knowing that the track would already be made up.

We now have access to the track equipment and access to the field at 11am - I beleive that when I turned up on Saturday at 11am there was already Dean Gibbs, Justin and James Baker, Mark Stevens, Craig Nutting and a couple of others that had already been there for about 20mins with the track already well on the go of being built - so big thanks to them!.

We all want this buggy season to succeed, and to repeat something dale said in saturdays drivers briefing we want the hinckley regional to be one of the best on the 2009 calendar. Therefore, ALL club members should be getting there for around 10.45-11am to help!!!

Another small thing Warr, to state that it was "not a bad meeting" is very unfair. Whilst I was there, everybody was enjoying themselves, practice sessions went well, people (including myself) luved the track, BBQ was fired up and the weather was great. From comments I've seen, the day was a complete success and so saying that it was "not a bad meeting" is very negative. This may have been how you felt about your race day, in the same way that my weekend was ruined because of battery issues and so my day was pants, but the HRCCC meeting was a complete success with everybody happy!

Jon!
jayst
Name: jamie cheshire
Car: T D . 210,410.408

Post by jayst »

track looks awesome . sooooo gutted i had to work
dogpinkscot
Name: Justin
Car: Atomic S2 Mega Dave

Post by dogpinkscot »

Enjoyed racing apart from my heat was very messy no one would let faster cars through and when your lapping people six times it can really get anoying :roll:

Do'nt want to start a sub forum about this but qualifying is not like racing if you are slower you should let faster cars through without an argument on the rostrum(this is not allowed at regionals )

also if your car breaks stay on the rostrum until the race is over

and my final point get to your marshall point on time ..dale should not have to run race control cook burgers and MARSHALL bless him

All the above points will not go missed by the officials at a regional and will make for a bad days racing for the people involved

cheers Justin :wink:
warr2
Experienced Member
Experienced Member
Name: David

Post by warr2 »

In response to Jons post.

I was there slightly late at 11:10, by which time the track was part complete as people had turned up earlier than the 11:00 stated.

As you know full well because you spoke to me at the time, I did spend time laying the remainder of the track.
If you'd stayed until the end you would also know that for the first 5 minutes after the racing finnished the people dismantling the track were Me, Joshua and My dad. Until a few others mucked in

To accuse me of not helping I find somewhat rich, bearing in mind the amount of time I 've spent laying and dismantling the track at HRCCC over the last 16 years.

I really don't understand what your issue with my post is?

"Not bad" is exactly the same as "good".

There were a few small problems I noticed on the day. - Those I could I fixed at the time e.g. fixing the track volunteer Marshalling for several heats.
I am merely drawing peoples attention to these issues. Which are all relatively minor and easily fixed.

Warr

See you next week.
dogpinkscot
Name: Justin
Car: Atomic S2 Mega Dave

Post by dogpinkscot »

regarding the retro heat its not my cup of tea but having said that you guys had some reel good racing....and if i could get an old rc10 gold tub chassis i would be in the retro race

Now here is an idea to sort out the retro track problems ......when we build the track this week lets try to make the track adjustable so by swinging a couple of hoses you can re route the retro cars around the table top ...all it would mean is a bit of extra effort before each retro heat but would make the race more enjoyable .....we used to do the samething at bedworth when we ran mardaves because the full track was too big

just an idea guys ....Even though i don't race retro i would be up for helping out :wink:
lapster
Average Member
Average Member
Name: andy lappin

Post by lapster »

hi,

Just like to say thanks for a great meeting , looking forward to next sat , bring it on !
Hail Ming
Expert Member
Expert Member
Name: James Carroll
Car: MM & X2 Evo

Post by Hail Ming »

Cheers Justin,

I think the track features are fine for vintage buggies with the exception of the large ramp (as Richard said) because the approach angle is a bit steep. Perhaps when the new tabletop and other ramps arrive, they'll be no need to use the steep ramp quite so much. Might be an easier solution to rearranging the track just for the retro class.

BTW - you can find old gold tub RC10s on Ebay all the time - parts availability is also very good. Andy Lappin's RC10 (the yellow one) was just £80. Go on...get yourself one and have a bit of cheap fun in the vintage class. :wink:

James
Try 'Quick Silver', the Amazing Silver Can Powered Touring Car Class at HRCCC
Eddystone
Name: Richard Dobson
Car: Tamiya TA05v2IFS

Post by Eddystone »

Yep - cheers Justin,

As James has said I don't think alterations to the course just for the Retro Racers would be necessary. The table top was no problem as it could be driven over at reasonable pace rather than jumped and the small jumps similarly caused no problems. The tall ramp though has no slow speed option as due to it's height you've either got to jump it fast or fall off the end at slower speeds, both cases needing marshalls help in my case. Fast seemed to be the solution - car then bounced and barrel rolled as far as the marshall :lol: (By the way, thanks to the marshalls who all did their best to keep my retro VW moving through its various faults - you all did a great job. That car is older than many of yesterdays drivers and last raced probably 20 years ago.) I'm hoping the solution is that the track obstacles can be built with a way of taking them slowly if necessary. Adding a short down ramp to the back of the large jump will have no effect on the fast cars as they will still be jumping clear of it but will also allow it to be taken slowly.

One other thing Justin - there's a very nice looking RC10 gold tub just listed on eBay today - go on treat yourself - you know you want to race retro!

Richard
Dale
Expert Member
Expert Member
Name: Dale Knight
Car: TOP Photon

Post by Dale »

Hi Guys,

Again I was very proud of the efforts of you all in making Saturday another success! We do still need to be getting nearer 40 per meeting as I am about to spend some more cash on the track in the form of new ramps and features etc. Having said that we are building a Cobra for the retro this week as a club car and hope to be testing this saturday, and I am considering maybe another subject to interest in running it.

I do want to remind you all that the forums are there for open and honest discussion, but please try to keep from being a little personal. Somtimes when things are written they can be taken wrong and better to keep comments to the event in my opinion.

I think the efforts of the drivers in the whole was very good and I do want to say thank you David to you father for all the help in packing away. It means a lot when non-drivers are pitching in also. I do not the comments on pegging and these are things I want raising before the regional to ensure we get it right on the day.

There are two things I want to stress to us all. The first is that I want to ensure we all help as much as possible to build and take down the track as this ensures we are not leaning on a few. I do note the comments on the timing, and I am happy for those to come early and build, just be mindful that the college give us a free hour (11-12), so try not to get there before 10.30am!!!!! Having said that I thought the track looked fantastic and I was very proud when I arrived and it was built!

The second point is again around numbers. I am preparing some press work for the club locally and I am keen for us to build so we can repay the cash spent this year!! You all know racers with buggys so please all spread the word for HRCCC. I think the facility and the environment we now have is first class and we want to maintain the momentum we currently have by attracting nearer 40 per week. I think the retro class have more planning to attend so you guys need to spread the word.

All in all I am very pleased with what we are doing. This year will be a learing curve but again the club is committed to making buggy racing a success and any suggestions on how to improve our offering can be sent to me at dale.knight@btconnect.com.

Regards Dale - Chairman
Wacker1
Expert Member
Expert Member
Name: Dean Gibbs(Wacker1)
Car: Yoke BD8 17. YZ-2CA

Post by Wacker1 »

Hi all,

& yet another week has flown by, of Hinckley Clubs Summer Off-Road Buggy Series!

It was week 3 of the Outdoor Season Today(Saturday 16th May), but officially Round 2 of the Clubs Buggy Championship, with yet another amazing turnout of Drivers.........even if the Weather was unpleasant to us all!
Batman & Robin(sorry, Dale & Scott :lol: )did another great job of running Race Control & offering Refreshments to all participating 8)
Thanks to the Track Foreman(Master Smacker Martyn :lol: ), for planning & building a fantastic Track Layout this week, which had alot more of a Regional feel to it, due to smoother, more flowing corners, as well as incorporating a 'hairpin' on the Dirt section, directly infront of the Rostrum......something we should consider doing again, maybe for our Regional Meeting? :D
I think that the Racing Today, was probably the most intresting to watch of all the Meetings so far, as the Weather(Sun & Showers allday) played a massive part on the Meeting, making Racers chop & change between various Compounds of Tyres through each Round, to try & gain a Grip advantage over each other......I think that even some of the 'Retro' Guys were doing this! :shock:
I would also like to thank everyone that helped clear out the Clubs Storage Container Today, as it was'nt a nice job to do, even if it was long overdue. We managed to make some intresting finds in there, of items that we thought we'd lost years ago.....& many that we desperately needed to dump! Atleast all of the hard works done now, giving us plenty of space for the Delivery of the New Ramp, Table Top & Rumble Strip on Tuesday, for next Saturdays(23rd May)Club Meeting.

HERE ARE SOME PHOTOS FROM TODAYS CLUB MEETING(16th May) :

'RETRO' CLASS

'COMPETITION' BUGGY CLASS
Dale
Expert Member
Expert Member
Name: Dale Knight
Car: TOP Photon

Re: ANOTHER SUCCESSFUL BUGGY MEETING AT HINCKLEY

Post by Dale »

Dear All,

Can I take this opportunity to re confirm what Dean has said. Yet again I was a very proud chairman coming to racing and finding the container cleared out and space being made for our latest investments (which will be ready for next weekend).

Justin has agreed to take the mower off our hands so space will be fine for the new items.

Despite the weather challenges we had a great meeting. The use of the bank as part of the track was inspired and allowed drivers to really get close to the action. Thank you to Ian for spraying the HRCCC on the loop, this really stood out and made the look of the track. We had a little issue with paint bleed, but nothing a quick fix with the grey paint wont solve!!

The grass looked fine afterwards so if we stick to using the left of the field for next saturday the regional will have some green green grass to run on!!!

JB has the electric and car to finish for the club so please bear this in mind with new people interested in having a go.

Please please spread the word for next weekend as we really want to put on a show for the west mids regional and the meeting before on the saturday!!

Thanks again for all your efforts. It means a lot when people stay behind in the rain to make sure everything is away!

Regards

Dale