im new to the club and thought id say hello

Post anything that does not fit into any of the other forums.
The mad1
Name: keith jacques
Car: associated b4

im new to the club and thought id say hello

Post by The mad1 »

hi
i am keith and i am hopeing to come along saterday with my son(brandon) im not sure if i will be racing as yet but i thought id say hi and ask a few questions as its been 7 years since i raced and alot has changed since then so i believe
to get us going i bought a couple of 1/10th touring cars off ebay, the one for my son is a schumacher sst99 pro (i know its old its his first car) i bought that as spares as its missing the drive to the rear wheels and also bodymounts and shell i also bought myself a traxxas 4tec for myself , but the last time i raced it was all buggys so i havnt got a clue on setting them up lol so i may need a little help if possible ie tyres, shock oil,
i also have a associated t3 truck and an old schumacher cougar truck that we may well race in the summer series with you.
but here is my issues for the moment i only have my old scrc's all the rest of my stuff will be ok for a start but batteries may be an issue so il need some advice about that aswell if possible.
deaks
Name: Scott Deakin
Car: T2 009

Re: im new to the club and thought id say hello

Post by deaks »

Hi Keith,

Welcome to club!

I have only been racing 2 years and there have been huge changes in just that short time, so don't worry too much about that! Typically most of the 1/10th racers at the club use LiPo's now as you only need one and you can generally get 2 heats out of them before they need recharging. Most of the drivers still recharge them after each heat though. If you want a particular make, then I would advise you buy the orion 3800 mAh. If you are really strapped for cash, I'm selling my previous LiPo for about £15 (Demon 5000mAh)...

I cannot offer much advice on the setup. I'm an xray owner and haven't really enough experience. However, the club does have a few Schumacher drivers who I am sure would be willing to offer advice.

Really you just want to come along next Saturday and have a go. The club is very friendly and the 1/10th racing is very competetive.

Bring a table and chairs, and get to the hall for about 12:00!

Hope to see you next week,

Scott
"Sponge and a bit of Jam"
tomjgardner
Average Member
Average Member

Post by tomjgardner »

Hi,

Fortunately racing electrics is a bit cheaper now than it used to be thanks to li-po batteries and Brushless motors. I would certainly recommend getting a li-po battery as you only need 1 per car as opposed to one per race, you would need to get a li-po charger as well but these are not expensive (checkout demon power products). Most people are running vtec 27 or Sorex 28 tyres, which come pre-glued and you should be able to get these from eric who runs a shop at the club. I would recommend a brushless system when you get going, but probably best if you have a look and see what everybody else is using and get a feel for things first.

Tom.
The mad1

Post by The mad1 »

cheers guys i will be poping over with my son this saterday il try and get the car ready to race but i know i have a few things to try and get hold of before i can race it properly i need to find either a 12v battery or power suply or a mains charger as i only have a 12v charger at the moment and i also need to get some tyres for it cus im not sure whats on it at the moment.
cheers scott i am interested in the lipo you have il bring the money over saterday for it but i have a few questions are they the same size as old cells, and would i need anything diferent , i have an lrp v6 at the moment also i know i need a charger but is there anything else i need to use lipo's as i have heard they are a little tempremental on charging and discharging?
Martyn
Name: Martyn Ross
Car: XRAY T4 14

Post by Martyn »

Hi Keith,

If you were to run a lipo then you still can use the LRP speedo, but you need to be aware that they should not be run below 6 volts as this can cause irreversible damage to the cells. Though you can buy a gadget to prevent this, think they range between £10 - £20?

You should never need to discharge a lipo through a charger/discharger. They have a very low self-discharge rate and like to be topped up in between runs, this also helps to increase the life span of the battery. Lipos can only be charged through a compatible charger, get one of those and you shouldn’t experience any problems.

Like you said the best thing is to pop down and see us and you can see the array of equipment/batteries in the pits. Then hopefully we can help you make the right decisions to get you both on the track!

Martyn
The mad1

Post by The mad1 »

thats great thanks alot well i will come and bring all mine and brandons kit and race saterday and see how it goes is there anyone i can borrow a couple of charges off until i can get me a suitable mains charger or a 12v source.
do you have to have a bag to charge the lipos in? as i have seen a few of them aswell on the net.
for a start until brandon has got used to driving a car he can use the old scrc's and my old stuff cus it will be alot better for him to start off with i think, then i will update his stuff at a later date once he has got used to the controls a bit better.
The mad1

Post by The mad1 »

deaks wrote:Hi Keith,

Welcome to club!

I have only been racing 2 years and there have been huge changes in just that short time, so don't worry too much about that! Typically most of the 1/10th racers at the club use LiPo's now as you only need one and you can generally get 2 heats out of them before they need recharging. Most of the drivers still recharge them after each heat though. If you want a particular make, then I would advise you buy the orion 3800 mAh. If you are really strapped for cash, I'm selling my previous LiPo for about £15 (Demon 5000mAh)...

I cannot offer much advice on the setup. I'm an xray owner and haven't really enough experience. However, the club does have a few Schumacher drivers who I am sure would be willing to offer advice.

Really you just want to come along next Saturday and have a go. The club is very friendly and the 1/10th racing is very competetive.

Bring a table and chairs, and get to the hall for about 12:00!

Hope to see you next week,

Scott
a couple of questions for ya buddy how many have you got? are they 6 cell and what terminals has the lipo got on it cus all my cars have got the corally tubes?
deaks
Name: Scott Deakin
Car: T2 009

Post by deaks »

Hi Keith,

Only have one for sale unfortunately. They are like a brick in shape as you can see from the following link:

http://demonpowerproducts.co.uk/product ... ts_id=2272

I have replaced the deans with corally's.

Regarding the number of cells. LiPo cells have a different voltage to NiMh's and NiCd's. 1 LiPo cell is equivalent to 3 NiMh/NiCd's, so you will find that all of the LiPo's we suggest have 2 cells, which is virtually the same as 6 NiMh/NiCd's. They are almost half the weight of the NiMh/NiCd's though! As Martyn and Tom have already mentioned, you only need one, but you will need a charger specifically designed to charge them and you should never fully discharge them.

I'd just suggest you use the kit you have for the moment and come along this Saturday. Find me or Dale and we can try and help. We usually sit near each other and you can find Dale pretty easy, just listen out for someone constantly talking! :D

Cheers,
Scott
"Sponge and a bit of Jam"
The mad1

Post by The mad1 »

cheers buddy i just hope it will fit in the 4tec as its a little tight lol
il be listening out for the talking but you should spot me aswell im 6ft5 with a rusty head lol :wink: :lol:
stox217
Expert Member
Expert Member
Name: Nick
Car: V12

Post by stox217 »

Also the next advance you would like to go would be brushless but that's a diffrent thing to put a dent in your wallet!
The mad1

Post by The mad1 »

yeah man i have been looking at them already il get round to that lol at some point soon i just wana concentrate on getting the car round the track first lol i gotta get/find the right tyres and set the cars up first before i can put more speed into them lol
stox217
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by stox217 »

Lol 4 black round thing's and your off :)
also tyre additive would be a good investment
The mad1

Post by The mad1 »

well i got some but on the car but they have tread on them i aint got a clue what they are lol
but it will have to do for this week cus ive already bought 2 cars and a lipo battery off scott and a few bits to build up brandons car as i bought that as spares lol
so iv been warned by the missis no more spending this week lol

im just looking round at the min for a decent cheapish mains/12v charger for the lipo but i also want it to do the old cells aswell if possibly
stox217
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by stox217 »

Lol
i wont be there saturday but will you be there the folowing saturday?
The mad1

Post by The mad1 »

yeah i think so buddy as long as i aint broke my car lol first time out lol