CORNERS ON THE TRACK!!!

Post anything that does not fit into any of the other forums.
WARRENRYAN
I'm not a brummie I'm a Yam Yam!
Name: WARRENRYAN

CORNERS ON THE TRACK!!!

Post by WARRENRYAN »

Ok era we go. About 2. week ago i was one of the unfortunate one's to split my chassie clean in two on the wooden corner piece's on the track . Also they keep ripping my tyres to bits which is totaly destroying the handling of my car there is'ent 2 weeks gone by where i have to keep buying new tyres :evil: Watching the T/C racing saturday i noticed some of them rolling on to there roofs off them. I must say they do look good BUT they they are becoming a night mare for us 1/12th guy's........ could we please change these to the plastic guttering loops if it not to much trouble.

please no! "well you need to drive around them". or "you need to check you ride hight".....I would definitively say the 1/12th guy's are with me on this one. And some of the T/C drivers :oops:
Martyn
Name: Martyn Ross
Car: XRAY T4 14

Re: CORNERS ON THE TRACK!!!

Post by Martyn »

Warren,

Chris has made some new corners but keeps forgeting them :roll:

Think the mardaves tend to shred the corners when their alu chassis hits them, and in turn shreds your tyres!

For the TC guys who roll on the current corners, the flappy corners still tend to launch the cars - so will still end on their roofs. My advice is to slow down and drive around them :D

Martyn
Wacker1
Expert Member
Expert Member
Name: Dean Gibbs(Wacker1)
Car: Yoke BD8 17. YZ-2CA

Post by Wacker1 »

I have to admit, the White/Red painted Wooden Discs do make the Track look really proffessional looking & were'nt really a problem when they were first made/fitted to the Track.................since then though, we've had the introduction of a 12th Pan Car Heat, which obviously runs slightly lower Chassis's & Foam Tyres, making the Wooden Discs unsuitable, specially as the Discs are a good few years old now & have quite alot of sharp edges/chunks missing out of them!
One of the main reasons why I dont run my 12th Pan Car anymore, are the Wooden Discs, as I cant justify paying £15 on a weekly basis for a brand new set of Foam Tyres, due to them being 'chunked', after rolling over one of them.
Martyn is right about the 'rolling on the roof' situation though, as I had a habit of rolling my Touring Car on its roof, due to getting on the power too early, while running over the Disc............I've recently managed to stop myself from doing this :D
I have to say though, I still prefer the 'flappy' corner idea, as you can get a tighter line without any problems........whatever Class your in! I also find it easier to see where the corner ends(specially if there in White) & even if you do hit them & get your Car stuck, you can usually use abit of throttle, bounce off it & free your Car without being Marshalled!
I noticed that we've had a couple of 'flappy' corners added to our Track recently, but unfortunately they've been made to short, making them have no give, so when a car does occassionally collide with it, they get wedged underneath it(12th Pan cars) or catapulted on their roof(Mardaves & Touring Cars).
LONGER FLAPPY CORNERS REQUIRED! :)
stox217
Expert Member
Expert Member
Name: Nick
Car: V12

Post by stox217 »

Well i had no problem's with the corner's atm because i tend to miss the corner's or just totaly run over the disk's lol but i have seen a few get wedged in them so is it better if you redo them but have less hight on them??
Gary K
Getting started
Getting started
Name: Gary Kirkpatrick
Car: Xray T2'008

Post by Gary K »

Hi all,

The wooden 'dots' are certainly showing their age now and do seem to be causing tyre chunking problems for the 1/12th cars. I think the solution is to get the new dots in use and fix whatever is causing them to get damaged (if it is the mardave chassis is there anything which can be done about this??).

Moving to flappy bits of plastic, in my opinion, would be a big step backwards for our tracks. Wooden dots not only look good but they are realistic (think kerbs in real motor racing) as they allow some margin for error /allow you to attack the inside line if you are trying to overtake. I agree that if you ride them too far they cause the car to roll, but this will also be true of the flappy things. Also if the colour of the dots is a problem I'm sure they could be painted white instead of red/black?

Whilst on the subject, if we can't get agreement on the type of 'end' to use with the black guttering, perhaps we should re-consider the sand filled hose pipes that we used to use? I know these can leak a little but they do at least allow sweeping corners to be formed so that we don't end up with sharp 'hair pin' ends everywhere which need either wooden dots or flappy plastic added....One of the best indoor tracks I've driven recently was at Don Valley where they use sand filled hose pipes and large waste bin lids (approx 1 meter diameter) to define the corners.

Gaz
Gazza
Forum Fisherman
Name: GAZZA
Car: Mardave V12

Post by Gazza »

Last edited by Gazza on Mon Nov 16, 2009 12:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
stox217
Expert Member
Expert Member
Name: Nick
Car: V12

Post by stox217 »

what we need is something that dont rearly launch the car's out of the track and dont do much damage to the car's but what will do that?
Martyn
Name: Martyn Ross
Car: XRAY T4 14

Post by Martyn »

I dont think longer flappy corners will be of any benifit. The Leicester Wednesday night club has longer versions than ours, and they still flip the tourning cars and wedge the 12th's.

Like I said Chris has some freshly made corners (painted white) so lets at least give them a go first.

Martyn
Gazza
Forum Fisherman

Post by Gazza »

Last edited by Gazza on Mon Nov 16, 2009 12:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ian_Smith
Committee
Committee
Name: Ian Smith
Car: Schumacher Mi4LP

Post by Ian_Smith »

In my experience, a lot of the car launches into the pits / off the track occur around a sweeps onto and off the main straight, and seems to be caused by getting airborne hitting another car or simply getting too close to the inside of the bend and being launched from that, probably because the tyre is sticking out because of the steering lock being used and the rotation of the wheel causes the car to be kicked up into the air on contact with the edge of the track (not much we can do about that unless we all just do drag races down the length of the hall) :wink:

I regularly roll my car (Touring) and its always because I'm travelling too fast or too far up the corner dots. This is not a fault of the dot itself but by me trying to be really tight on the apex of the corner whilst still trying to keep good corner speed. I know what I need to do and that is quite simply to slow down a little and also not be quite so tight on the corner, unfortunately for me I struggle to to that :lol:

Perhaps introducing new dots will ease the problem a little, but in time (not necessarily a very long time) these will get chewed up again, probably by the Mardave's, not sure if it would help but perhaps chamfering the bottom of the front of the Mardave chassis so that it looks a little like a ski would help? Whether putting a couple of layers of tape from dot to carpet on the leading edge of the corners will help reduce the chewing up.
Schumacher Mi4LP / Hobbywing Justock / Speed Passion V3.0 17.5
"Speed is nothing without Control" - wish I had just one of 'em! :-)
Gary K
Getting started
Getting started
Name: Gary Kirkpatrick
Car: Xray T2'008

Post by Gary K »

Gazza,

See previous post - Dean said he preferred the flappy ends as they make the end of the corner easier to see (especially if they are in white). :)

Gaz
Gazza
Forum Fisherman

Post by Gazza »

Last edited by Gazza on Mon Nov 16, 2009 12:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dale
Expert Member
Expert Member
Name: Dale Knight
Car: TOP Photon

Post by Dale »

Hi Guys,

The committee is aware of the concerns over tyre damage etc and Chris has indeed made the new markings. I think the flap ends are not brilliant and I prefer the disks as I agree they look more authentic and make for better racing.

Chris will be brining down the new ones Saturday and we all need to keep an eye on the disks so we know when they need replacing.

Regards

Dale