4WD buggies

Post anything that does not fit into any of the other forums.
nick
Getting started
Getting started
Name: Nick Hudson
Car: TLR22, AC S2, B4

4WD buggies

Post by nick »

Hello All,

Having run 2WD last summer at Hinckley, I am thinking of trying 4WD this year - do you reckon there will be enough 4WD's to make a decent heat ?

Nick
jayst
Name: jamie cheshire
Car: T D . 210,410.408

Re: 4WD buggies

Post by jayst »

they should be 4 of us there
nick
Getting started
Getting started
Name: Nick Hudson
Car: TLR22, AC S2, B4

Post by nick »

jamie - are you running a CAT SX - if so, what's your impression of them so far?. i'm tempted by one myself
jayst
Name: jamie cheshire
Car: T D . 210,410.408

Post by jayst »

pm ur fone munber m8 . ill give ya a ring
Dale
Expert Member
Expert Member
Name: Dale Knight
Car: TOP Photon

Post by Dale »

Hi Guys,

4WD are going to be more than welcome this year. Hopefully you will have enough for a heat of your own, but if not you can merge in with 2WD.

This year the club has decided to run every week, however this is subject to all attending helping with the track build and packa away. In addition I shall also be running a weekly BBQ and we are looking at Mirage advertising the meetings and Eric is looking to come down and bring a shop for spares etc.

We need everyone spreading the word this year as I am looking to try and swell numbers to over 30 min per meeting.

Also provisionally we will be holding a West Midlands 2WD buggy round on Sunday 19th May!! We are expecting around 70 drivers to attend and this gives us a brilliant chance to promote the summer club to new faces!

See you all there!!

Regards

Dale
dogpinkscot
Name: Justin
Car: Atomic S2 Mega Dave

Post by dogpinkscot »

cant wait for buggy racing this year. dale ,when are we starting building the new rostrum ?
also do you think if we take buggy racing on tour around local events that we could bring some money into the club via advertising on the racing stand ,just a thought
Dale
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by Dale »

Rostrum is being discussed at the moment and looking to see what the school will let us do. We seem to be leaning towards some work on the bank to have a decking area with a safety fence round and using the slop as the height etc.

Any idea welcome on revenue etc - see me on saturday mate.

Regards

Dale
Neil T
Name: neil tompsett

Post by Neil T »

Im hoping to join you with my HB D4
Cant make it every week, but will do my best
lapster
Average Member
Average Member
Name: andy lappin

Post by lapster »

hi there,

im also buying a b44, should be good fun, just wondering if 4wd can race in that 2wd meeting in may? i am thinking of running lipo,would a 3200 last a race or would i need higher with a 5.5 or 6.5 brushless motor? cheers.
Wacker1
Expert Member
Expert Member
Name: Dean Gibbs(Wacker1)
Car: Yoke BD8 17. YZ-2CA

Post by Wacker1 »

Hi Lapster,

You might just get away with a 6.5T Motor with a 3200 Lipo in your 4WD Buggy on Grass, but you'd struggle with a 5.5T...........personally, I would'nt recommend it.
I run 3200 Saddle Packs with a 5.5T Motor in my 2WD Buggy, which lasts fine, but I would'nt say theres loads left in the Lipo........obviously, a 4WD Buggy uses a fair bit more Power.
If you decide to stick to 4WD, then I'd go for a 4800 Lipo Pack & a 5.5T/6.5T Motor.............if you feel like more of a challenge & go with what the vast majority are running, then go for a 2WD, with a 3200/4800 Lipo Pack & 6.5T/7.5T Motor.
JamesG

Post by JamesG »

I used the trakpower 3200 saddles with a novak gtb and a 6.5 in my b44 last year and had no problems with lasting a race.

One thing worth noting though, If you are planning running in the regionals I would hold off buying cells until the BRCA approved lipo list comes out, this should be in the next few weeks.
Dale
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by Dale »

Hi Guys,

Great Forum use here and I am pleased to see 4WD looking to raise interest. Spoke with Daz Lee today and he was talking about getting the Schumacher CAT to race.

In terms of runnign at the regions with a 4WD, not sure is the honest answer, however the West Mids have a full calender of 4WD meetings throughout the summer and you are of course more than welcome to attend any Hinckley meeting with them.

Regards

Dale
warr2
Experienced Member
Experienced Member
Name: David

Post by warr2 »

Dean,

When you say you don't have much left in the lipo do you know how many mah you have actually used / have left?

I was thinking of trying the orion 2400's with a 6.5 in 2wd. In theory they should have enough capacity, but what I'm not sure about is how much capacity you can actually use before you run into problems with the low voltage cutoff on the speedo.

Less mah = lighter weight with lipo so personally I want to run the minimum capacity possible to increase the amount of ballast I can run.. - It also has the advantage of costing less!
Wacker1
Expert Member
Expert Member
Name: Dean Gibbs(Wacker1)
Car: Yoke BD8 17. YZ-2CA

Post by Wacker1 »

Hi David,

I dont know exactly what mah I had left in my 3200 Lipo Saddle Packs, after a Race, but the Lipo Charger I used, told me what % I had left. Most of the time, I think that I had around 20% of Power left, after a Race at the Hinckley Grass Track(when the Grass was cut short). On a couple of occasions though, the Grass had'nt been cut for a good few weeks, leaving it pretty long, causing alot more drag on the Buggies, therefore using more Power, my 3200's went down to around 15% at this time, which is near to the limit(which is around 10% I think?)
When I've run my 2WD Buggy/3200 Lipo/5.5T Motor on the Astro-Turf Track at Coventry, I would usually come off with around 35% left in my Lipo's.........obviously the extra drag from a Grass Track uses alot more power!
I really think you'd be pushing it if you run the Orion 2400's with a 6.5T Motor on Grass. I think that you'd be best to go for either the 3200 30c or 3600 30c Lipo Pack, which theres only around £5 difference in Price.
warr2
Experienced Member
Experienced Member
Name: David

Post by warr2 »

One other question.

What weight were you running the car at with lipo?

Bearing in mind you generally do a few laps before the race - are running 5.5t, and also capacity figures estimated from charging are always a bit on the highside I still reckon 2400's could be viable :D

Although if your car was 200g underweight with lipo, then you're probably right that more power will be required. :cry:

Will try the car with some non brca legal 3200's I 've got and see how it goes before deciding. - 50g extra moveable ballast is a nice tuning aid to have though.