LIPO Batteries in Mardaves

Post anything that does not fit into any of the other forums.
Gazza
Forum Fisherman
Name: GAZZA
Car: Mardave V12

Re: LIPO Batteries in Mardaves

Post by Gazza »

Last edited by Webmaster on Thu Dec 11, 2008 8:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Links removed by request of the committee :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Dale says jump and the Lacky Ben screams like a girl and says how high :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Last edited by Gazza on Mon Nov 16, 2009 2:14 am, edited 2 times in total.
Richie
Name: Richard Wilson

Post by Richie »

Lets remember these cells are not new, there in every mobile phone, digital camera, camcorder, and now power tools, plus many more, people are using these cells daily, again I think the picture your portraying is somewhat negative.

On another note, has anyone considered, if the power tool business continues to migrate to LIPO cells (because they have now started, lighter and more powerfull) and the cells we use become unavailable what alternatives do we have ? The same can be said for the silver can motors which are primarily used in power tools, 4 pole brushless systems are staring to be used. Our RC industry is going through a technology change like nothing we have seen in 30 years. We shouldn't panic, I don't expect things to change in the near future but change is on the horizon. Something to ponder, which is why I wanted to start this discussion in the first place.
Last edited by Richie on Wed Dec 10, 2008 12:41 am, edited 3 times in total.
Gazza
Forum Fisherman

Post by Gazza »

Last edited by Gazza on Mon Nov 16, 2009 2:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Richie

Post by Richie »

The new Makita LXT power tool range uses lithium batteries. who knows what will develop next !
JamesG

Post by JamesG »

Lipo's are as safe as every other type as bettery as long as they are handled correctly, the videos are quite spectaular but making the batteries do that isn't easy so it's not something to worry about too much.

Lipo sacks have good and bad properties, they will contain the flames (as long as the velcro flap is closed properly) but the battery swells long before it explodes, if its in a bag and you can't see it then you won't see the swelling. As long as the charging has stopped a swollen pack isn't likely to explode but it should be disposed of correctly asap. I don't have an issue with using one and most clubs insist that they are used.

The new BRCA rules are allowing Lipos for the next season for off road as long as they meet certain criteria, the main one being hard cased, the soft case ones are really for flying models, even then I didn't have any problems with the one in my heli and that took some hard landings.

As long as lipos are charged using a Lipo compatable charger then there shouldn't be any issues especially if a balancer is used to monitor the voltages of the individual cells.
Gazza
Forum Fisherman

Post by Gazza »

Last edited by Gazza on Mon Nov 16, 2009 2:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
JamesG

Post by JamesG »

What you’ve said is right 1800mah charges at 1.8amp 2500mah at 2.5amp etc, there should be an option to tell your charger how many cells your pack has got, other than that press charge and it sorts it out.

The balancer is a simple device which monitors the voltage of each cell in the pack so that each is the same, most of the manufacturers say that balance charging isn’t required every time but it does help keep the pack in better condition. It’s sort of like an equalising tray whilst charging. What can happen over time is one cell is taking a higher voltage than the other so even though the pack is at 8.4v one cell could be over charged, having the balancer connected is just an extra safety measure. It’s not essential but it’s a good bit of kit to have.

I don’t know much about Pro Trak’s to be honest, I know there used to be all sorts of things that could be connected so you could monitor all of your sub C’s but how this worked I have no idea. I wouldn’t be surprised if there wasn’t some sort of balancer built in for lipo. If not external ones are available, I have one of these http://www.trakpower.com/Flash/tpvbalcompletenew.swf that I used with the charger you borrowed the other week, it just connects between the cells and the charger. Different adapters are available to connect to the different balance connectors on the cells as there is no industry standard connector as yet.
WARRENRYAN
I'm not a brummie I'm a Yam Yam!
Name: WARRENRYAN

Post by WARRENRYAN »

Could this happen if your car was to be hit from the side?
Gazza
Forum Fisherman

Post by Gazza »

Last edited by Gazza on Mon Nov 16, 2009 2:15 am, edited 3 times in total.
Webmaster
The website guy
Name: Ben McQueen
Car: Xray T2 09

Post by Webmaster »

NiMh cells can explode so there's nothing of the left (some may remember that happening at the club once) or even embed themselves in the wall if abused. LIPOs are nothing to worry about if looked after properly IMO.
Gazza
Forum Fisherman

Post by Gazza »

Last edited by Gazza on Mon Nov 16, 2009 2:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dave
Name: Dave

Post by Dave »

:(
I have been a Buggy racer for a few years and have been on many Websites seen a lot of talk & seen a lot of information passed around along with a lot of nonsence

Gazza
My heart goes out to you. . . Never have I seen a person willing to help and advise only to be stopped by MR optimist my glass is half full NO it half empty Wilson

I have seen your post re the setting up of the Mardave brushless and again the way you have been treated again my heart goes out to you. you are a decent chap willing to help and then your post on Lipo's I found very helpful even tho it has been edited I think I will remain at the Coventry club but please do come and race your Buggy here you will be welcome to

and the point about the EMU. . . . could not have put it better my self accidents due AND WILL happen

But before Mr optimist jumps in Gazza

Do they put their heads in the sand?
Actually, that’s a myth: ostriches do not bury their heads in the sand! When an ostrich senses danger and cannot run away, it flops to the ground and remains still, with its head and neck flat on the ground in front of it. Because the head and neck are lightly colored, they blend in with the color of the soil. From a distance, it just looks like the ostrich has buried its head in the sand, because only the body is visible.

David
Hail Ming
Expert Member
Expert Member
Name: James Carroll
Car: MM & X2 Evo

Post by Hail Ming »

David,

You're very knowledgeable about wildlife

...is your surname Belamy by any chance?

:wink:
Try 'Quick Silver', the Amazing Silver Can Powered Touring Car Class at HRCCC
Richie

Post by Richie »

DAVE wrote:
I have been a Buggy racer for a few years and have been on many Websites seen a lot of talk & seen a lot of information passed around along with a lot of nonsence

then also wrote

Do they put their heads in the sand?
Actually, that’s a myth: ostriches do not bury their heads in the sand! When an ostrich senses danger and cannot run away, it flops to the ground and remains still, with its head and neck flat on the ground in front of it. Because the head and neck are lightly colored, they blend in with the color of the soil. From a distance, it just looks like the ostrich has buried its head in the sand, because only the body is visible.
Is this a contradiction ?
deaks
Name: Scott Deakin
Car: T2 009

Post by deaks »

Hi all,

I think this thread has started to drift from the original subject and people are taking things a little personal. Just to be clear, the video links were removed from a previous post because they were deemed inappropriate, specifically as the videos showed deliberate abuse and not failures due to normal usage. Please know however that the club does welcome safety advice, but it must be considered appropriate. If anyone wishes to seek advice regarding battery safety, a good initial starting point would be the BRCA guidelines which the club follows. You can find details on the electric board news at http://www.brca.org/BRCA/elecboard/news.htm. There are two links under 'Best Practices' relating to both NiMH and LiPo technologies.

Kind regards,
Scott
"Sponge and a bit of Jam"