LIPO Batteries in Mardaves

Post anything that does not fit into any of the other forums.
Ian_Smith
Committee
Committee
Name: Ian Smith
Car: Schumacher Mi4LP

Re: LIPO Batteries in Mardaves

Post by Ian_Smith »

All,

Just to add my two-penny worth. Chris managed to abuse his LiPo (which was a Core 3250, in a hard case). He completely discharged it by leaving it connected at the end of racing (twice). The first time we were unable to get our charger to recognise it to recharge it, Chris Child was able to re-charge it on his Pro Trak, the second time I was able to start re-charging it on my LiPo charger, but aborted it because the hard case cracked open along the seam because the cells inside were swelling. I disconnected it and put it outside where it was perfectly safe. It didn't explode.

Obviously, this was the result of mis-treatment (allowing the cells to become completely discharged) albeit accidentally. I would like to say however that the swelling would not have been noticed had the pack been inside a LiPo sack, so potentially the result could have been a lot worse. I know that Chris Child and Richard Wilson have also destroyed LiPo's but in both cases they inadvertently had their chargers set NiMh mode. I would therefore recommend having a LiPo specific charger that you only use for LiPo's, when Chris races we always ensure that I use one charger for my LiPo, and he uses a different one for his NiMh's.

Hope this helps,

Ian
Schumacher Mi4LP / Hobbywing Justock / Speed Passion V3.0 17.5
"Speed is nothing without Control" - wish I had just one of 'em! :-)
stox217
Expert Member
Expert Member
Name: Nick
Car: V12

Post by stox217 »

also wont they need to make a new charger to charge 4.8v lipo because they wont be 1,2,3 celled lipo packs will they?
nick
4_cell_racer
Getting started
Getting started
Name: Lee

Post by 4_cell_racer »

Just want to add.....if running 1 li-po cell @3.7v you may well need to run a receiver pack to power your servo etc
tomjgardner
Average Member
Average Member

Post by tomjgardner »

Guys,

Saw this and though of you, this would allow yo to run a single cell without an extra reciver pack.

http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/stor ... oduct=7884