Retro, 2WD and 4WD
Dann123
Average Member
Average Member
Name: Dann Kennell
Car: Cyclone MooreSpeed

Buggy Setup - Help required.

Post by Dann123 »

Hi guys, I was originally planning on racing in the Quicksilver buggy class in the summer... but after seeing the speed they run at on the grass I think I am going to give it a miss... I tried to find out what the next class up is but it wasn't available on the heat listings sheet.

Can anyone give me a good idea in terms of motor speed and ESC they run in the class above quicksilver? I want to race a buggy with a bit more speed than a standard silver can! Also, I'm guessing that the buggies tend to use more battery power than the touring cars, is that correct?

If someone could list the ideal equipment, I would be grateful. I have an Ansmann Mad Rat chassis if that helps.

Any help will be appreciated. Cheers guys.
Wacker1
Expert Member
Expert Member
Name: Dean Gibbs(Wacker1)
Car: Yoke BD8 17. YZ-2CA

Re: Buggy Setup - Help required.

Post by Wacker1 »

Hi Dann

The QuickSilver Off-Road Class is a great way to Introduce New Racers to the World of Buggy Racing, but as you say, they can be alittle Slow with the resistance of running on Grass!........the Club may end up getting the Grass cut abit shorter or after a couple of Meetings the Grass will flatten abit more, so Speeds in the QuickSilver may Improve slightly!

If you'd prefer to step up into the Competition 2WD Buggy Class & Race, then things like Speedos & Motors are completely 'Open'........saying that, it does'nt mean that going out & Buying a Stupidly Fast Low-Turn Motor will make you Win, as many have found(including myself) that More Speed can be abit of a Liability on Tight Technical Bumpy Tracks! :oops:

In this Competition Class, the majority of us use Brushless Speed Controls/Motors now, as there far more Reliable, run Cooler & have virtually no Maintainance!

Quite a few of us run either the LRP SXX or Nosram Pearl Brushless Speedos & a few recently have gone for New HPI Flux, which is very good & a fantastic Price.

Motorwise, it does'nt really matter on the Manufacturer too much, but again the LRP X12, Nosram Pure, HPI Flux & Speed Passion V3 seem the most Popular!
.........as far as the Motor Wind goes, you best to run somewhere inbetween a 6.5T & a 10.5T - anything Lower is just way too Fast & Uncontrollable!
At the moment, I run a 6.5T & think its too Fast, so I'm looking at changing to an 8.5T - The Guythat Won last Saturday was only running a 10.5T with abit of Boost! :shock:

As far as Battery Power goes, Buggies only use about half their Battery Power in a 5 minute Race(going by a 5000 Lipo)

Hope this helps 8)