Rc Buggy question?

Retro, 2WD and 4WD
MICK3Y
Getting started
Getting started
Name: Michael

Rc Buggy question?

Post by MICK3Y »

i am looking to buy a buggy to race at the club but i am not sure which one to buy and what requirments are needed!
I had a quick look at some buggys, one of them called the ansmann mad rat and the exceed sunfire! So i am not sure what to do and what i need, could someone give me advice on this please? Thx!
disco41
Getting started
Getting started
Name: Andy
Car: TT-01e, B4

Re: Rc Buggy question?

Post by disco41 »

Hi,

Depends which class you want to race in
Quicksilver
2wd open
4wd open

A starter buggy fav is the mad rat or the new mad monkey
Basically choose a class to race in and go from there

Cheers
Andy
About as good at marshalling as driving !
Hail Ming
Expert Member
Expert Member
Name: James Carroll
Car: MM & X2 Evo

Post by Hail Ming »

Hi Michael,

As Andy said - a Mad Rat or Mad Monkey would be a good choice - they're cheap, go well and spares are plentiful.

I'd recommend you stick a 27T silver can motor in and join us in the Quick Silver class for some close, fun racing (not that I'm biased :wink: ).

Cheers

James
Try 'Quick Silver', the Amazing Silver Can Powered Touring Car Class at HRCCC
MICK3Y
Getting started
Getting started

Post by MICK3Y »

Ok well thanks for your opinions! :D

Do i need a certain lipo/nims, tires,speedo and motor??

How fast is a quick silver silver can??

And which class is the fastest? :D
Hail Ming
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by Hail Ming »

If you go for LiPo, then you'll need 7.4V in a hard case - prices start from about £30 a pack. NiMHs are still available if you want to keep the cost down - a typical 7.2V pack costs about £20.

In the Quick Silver class, the only type of motor permitted is a 27 turn sealed silver can motor - for example a Mabuchi RS540SH - we have them for sale at the club for just £7. These can go pretty quick, but not too quick that the car is uncontrollable. Ideal for newcomers or those who want to have fun, low-cost close racing.

In the open class - any 540 sized brushed or brushless motor is permitted - these cars can go very quick (50mph if you had a straight long enough), but require more experience and skill to control. Racing costs are also increased, as you will need high power batteries and speedo (see below).

If you're new or fairly new to racing - I'd recommend you start with Quick SIlver - get a feel for the racing, then progress to the open class as and when. Otherwise, if you start with a very fast car, you'll probably end up on your roof most of the time, or worst, break parts. Despite the Quick Silver class having less power - the lap times aren't too disimilar to the lower heats of the open class. Sometimes less is more.

As for a speedo - it depends on the class you want to race in. For Quick SIlver any speedo with reverse is allowed - you don't need anything special or expensive because the current draw from the motor is low - I run a speedo in this class that costs just £16. However in the open class, you could be spending £200 on a competition speedo - suitable to handle the power requirements of a brushless motor.

Tyres - most people use Schumacher mini-spike in yellow (soft) compound. I like the harder blue compound for running in the Quick Silver class.

Hope that helps - if you need to know anything else, just ask or pop along to the racing tomorrow (starts at 13:00).

Cheers

James
MICK3Y
Getting started
Getting started

Post by MICK3Y »

Ok well thank you for your advice, i am getting a 2wd mad rat on saturday and its a 10t ansmann brushless system, what lipo would be suitible for this?? i seen that you said a 7.4v, will this be ok for the system i am running? And where can i get a good price for a lipo?
Hail Ming
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by Hail Ming »

Hi Michael,

You should be well set-up by the sounds of it. Yes you'll need a hard cased 2S 7.4V LiPo pack - there's plenty of choice out there - I'd suggest you have a look at one of the large on-line shops, such as Modelsport UK or Apex Models (see links)

http://www.modelsport.co.uk/lipo/electr ... B31%5D=602

http://www.apexmodels.com/gbu0-catshow/ ... Packs.html

Ideally you want to get the highest C rated pack and capacity that your budget will allow; for example:

http://www.apexmodels.com/gbu0-prodshow ... 50CMI.html

Cheers

James
MICK3Y
Getting started
Getting started

Post by MICK3Y »

Ok thank you for that!

Me and my dad will have to do a bit of research and find the best one! :D