Stock and Modified
DazLee
Experienced Member
Experienced Member
Name: Darren Lee

Indoor Classes

Post by DazLee »

Hello all,

Just thought I would start a discussion on what we are likely to be racing indoors

We will obviously have GT12 and Touring cars but what class of Touring should we race?

Over the past couple of seasons we have been divided into 3 classes;
Super touring (Mod)
13.5 Boosted
17.5 Blinky

I am contemplating doing either 13.5 blinky or Mod as I plan on attending a number of ETS races and would like to practice with one of the classes raced at these meetings.

As always, I am happy to go with the majority but thought we could kick off a discussion so everyone can have an input and be ready for when the indoor season does get back underway.

Any thoughts are welcomed

Daz Lee
Grandad
Expert Member
Expert Member
Name: Ian Green
Car: Ford Focus Estate

Re: Indoor Classes

Post by Grandad »

Is there any room for a beginners or budget class for 1/10 scale touring?
or are beginners or those on a budget being guided towards GT12?

regards
Ian
Wacker1
Expert Member
Expert Member
Name: Dean Gibbs(Wacker1)
Car: Yoke BD8 17. YZ-2CA

Post by Wacker1 »

Hi,

I'm still yet to Buy a Motor for my Touring Car, ready for the Indoor Winter Season in September.

Personally, I'd prefer to stick with the 13.5 Boosted Class, as it feels about the Optimum speed for indoor sized Tracks. Its also the usual Class for the Main Race Championships around the Country.i.e EWS, Rug Racers, SYR etc, making it the sensible choice to run, allowing Racers to get use to the Feel/Performance of their Cars, in Preparation for when they do the Bigger Events!

With how the so called 'Budget' Beginners Class has progressed from the Std Mardave V12 Class into the Newer Mardave/Supastox 'GT12' Class over the last couple of years, I personally cant see a reason for anymore Classes, as this has now become a very Popular, Competitive Entry Level into Racing, where you can learn about Setups & have some decent speed........yet still on a Budget!

I still miss the good old days at the Hinckley Club, where everyone did ONE Class of Touring Cars! :shock:

MORE CLASSES = DILUTED NUMBERS! :(
DazLee
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by DazLee »

Hi Ian,

To answer your question first, I think 17.5t TC probably caters for the entry level of TC.?
We did run the quicksilver class for a period of time but unfortunately due to lack of support it eventually fizzles out.

Dean,

Without any confirmation as to what classes the 'big series' are running we are kind of guessing at the minute............but, having seen the comments flying around the social media circles (I know you are in the dark ages with regards to this.!!!) it seems EWS may be leaning towards going blinky 13.5t & Mod as their two classes. This would tie in with the rest of Europe............for some reason in the UK we have a tendency to run classes that are different to the rest of the world.

This is where my suggestion of blinky 13.5t came from. Also, I plan to attend some ETS races next year and run the blinky class.

As for the speed comment, Jimmy Maddison won the last round of EWS running 13.5t blinky.........there is very little speed difference once setup correctly but you have a much nicer feeling.

I am happy to run whatever everyone else runs but if the 'spec' classes we as a club run do not match the 'big races' then I will have to just run mod.

Thanks
Daz
Wacker2
Name: Jon Seals(Wacker2)
Car: TLR 22

Post by Wacker2 »

Hi Daz,

Almost certain that Jimmy was running the usual 13.5 boosted at last round of EWS.

That said, I'm very interested to see how the 13.5 blinky class would compare based on max gearing of 4.0.

I've been getting my touring kit up and running in preparation for when we go back indoors, and am planning on heading to SYR (South Yorkshire Raceway) on Sunday 17th August for a play. I intend to run 13.5 boosted and 13.5 blinky (4.0) back to back to see how it compares.

I'll be able to report back then.

JB
DazLee
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by DazLee »

Hi Jon,

If I remember correctly, Jimmy was running the same speedo he ran in the 17.5t blinky class.
This is the Much More Fleta Euro Spec.......which is the ETS control speedo and Blinky only!

Anyway, I will run whatever the majority run as long as it ties in with the bit meetings.......EWS, Rug racers, and ETS.

I ran 4.5 gearing at ETS with a fixed end bell motor and it was sloooooow on the main straight but not so bad on the infield.
With adjustable timing on the end bell and a longer gear ration I think it would be pretty close to boosted speed.

Thanks
Daz
Wacker1
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by Wacker1 »

Hi Guys,

With Todays Announcement on Red RC that the 'Essex Winter Series' will be running the 13.5 Blinky Touring Car Class on the New Ride REX30 Tyres for this Winter Season, it now makes sense for us all to Follow that Direction & run exactly the same Class at the Hinckley Club!! 8)

.........no doubt other Series & Clubs will follow the same European route, so seems the logical way to go for us all! :n1
disco41
Getting started
Getting started
Name: Andy
Car: TT-01e, B4

Post by disco41 »

Hi Guys

I ran a TT01 TC in quicksilver a few years back would I be right in thinking a could still race this with a 17.5t in it? Would it be much quicker than quicksilver?
Was thinking of running in GT12 with new car if a didn't have a go at TC

Cheers

Andy
About as good at marshalling as driving !
DazLee
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by DazLee »

Hi Dean,

I tend to agree with your comments. One of the Hinckley classes should be 13.5t Blinky.

We should therefore aim for the following classes

Super Touring - Mod (Anything goes)
Super Stock Touring - 13.5t Blinky
Stock Touring - 17.5t Blinky
GT12 - 13.5t & 1s in line with regional / national rules

Tyres need to remain as an 'open' choice for all.
Ideally everyone would run the same tyres as it makes the racing fairer and closer but we cant force club drivers to use a certain tyre.

I think the best course of action is to encourage drivers to use a certain tyre as/when they buy new ones. Perhaps have the tyre of choice in stock at the club?

Andy,

You should be fine in the 17.5t class with your car. They are a little faster than quicksilver with 17.5t motors but nothing that is likely to cause too much of a problem for the car.

Have a look at some of the videos on our website, this will give you an indication of the speed of 17.5t.

Thanks
Daz
disco41
Getting started
Getting started

Post by disco41 »

Hi Daz

Thanks for the reply been looking at esc/motor combos would something like this http://www.modelsport.co.uk/speed-passi ... cts/385530
Be ok to get me started?

Cheers
Andy
DazLee
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by DazLee »

Hi Andy,

Yes, something like that would be fine.

Thanks
Daz
Wacker1
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by Wacker1 »

Hi Andy,

As Daz has mentioned, you could use a 17.5 in your Tamiya TT01, but it would be noticeably Faster than the days of when you ran that Chassis in Quicksilver, which to be perfectly honest, would be past the Limitations of the Car! :(

Obviously, its your Decision on what you'd like to Race Indoors, but personally, I'd Recommend not wasting around £75 for a 17.5 Combo on that Car & go for a GT12(Schumacher SupaStox) Chassis instead.
You'd find it more Fun to do, you'd have a Competitive Car like everyone else & saving yourself some money in the longrun! :n1
disco41
Getting started
Getting started

Post by disco41 »

Hi
Excellent thanks for the advice a GT12 it is then looking forward to building it then rebuilding it when I crash it. :D

Cheers
Andy
Grandad
Expert Member
Expert Member
Name: Ian Green
Car: Ford Focus Estate

Post by Grandad »

So now Quicksilver has fizzled out, maybe references to that class should be deleted from the website, and beginners attention be directed towards 17.5 TC or GT12?
The HRCCC Construction rules would need to be updated too. Not a quick job to edit I guess!

regards
Ian
dogpinkscot
Name: Justin
Car: Atomic S2 Mega Dave

Post by dogpinkscot »

Are we all going racing down ews this winter is everyone from the club doing the Durango series answer no I don't think so... Is everyone that does 17.5 blinky in the country going to rush out and buy a 13.5 blinky .. Can't see that happening ... I for one honestly thought all the major winter series would be 13.5 blinky but not all in fact only one so far has committed to that and after a talk with Adrian jefferies can confirm there is no planned changes to brca events ..... So are we changing to blinky at this time ..... Let's see how booking in goes at ews .Making the transition at this stage could damage what we have as a club dilution of classes in the past has always been a bad thing for numbers ..... I think a proper meeting should be held before any firm plans are laid down ....