Hail Ming
Expert Member
Expert Member
Name: James Carroll
Car: MM & X2 Evo

Help setting up a brushless esc

Post by Hail Ming »

Hi Folks,

OK - I've given in and decided to try a brushless set-up.

From my observation of the buggies - a 6.5 motor is too much for Hinckley, hence my decision to go with a milder motor (less is more). I've gone for a Hobbywing 120A 1S esc (similar to the Speed Passion) with boost etc. and a Speed Passion Ver 2.0 Ultrastock 11.5 (fixed endbell timing).

I'd be grateful for any advice on gearing (FDR) and general esc set-up. What I'm looking for is a set-up that will be controllable and smooth in the in-field, with a blast of speed for the straights. I know Martyn's RB5 runs well with his 10.5 and a small amount of boost.

Cheers

James
Try 'Quick Silver', the Amazing Silver Can Powered Touring Car Class at HRCCC
BazzerH
Getting started
Getting started
Name: Barry Hearn
Car: MI4CX cougarSV GT14B

Re: Help setting up a brushless esc

Post by BazzerH »

Hey James, this is a pretty handy page for fdrs. As always go on temps as a final guide to fdrs but with small amount of boost these figures aren't going to kill a motor

http://www.teamnovak.com/tech_info/brus ... aring.html
Hail Ming
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by Hail Ming »

Cheers Baz,

That should help with the FDR, but I'm still after some help with the esc settings i.e. good starting points for boost, timing etc.

Cheers

James
lapper cr2
Getting started
Getting started
Name: mark lapper
Car: Pledge reduces drag

Post by lapper cr2 »

Hi James,

Hope this will help you matey i run speed passion 6.5 and speed passion lpf speedo i know you stated your motor was not 6.5 but these are my settings,

DRRS Level 1 this setting goes to Level 9 i would only go to Level 2 for track size of Coventry and this setting changes the punch at low speed.

DMTS Timing Level 6 (18.75) this setting goes to Level 8 (26.25) this setting gives more power for straight line but also makes the motor overheat at the higher end of the timing.

I find this to be best for myself as i find it mild at the bottom and good speed on the straight but also keeps the motor temp mild also but gearing plays a part also as you will know with the 6.5 (78 spur) i will run 22t or 23t pinion dependant on size of track.

Anyway matey hope this has helped a little i will be at the track tomorow if you need any help come see me. :n1 Lapper.
Hail Ming
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by Hail Ming »

Hi Mark,

That's great stuff - I'm not there tomorrow, but I'll give it a try and see how I get on.

Cheers

James