Final Drive Ratios

Swap, share and discuss setups
MeBeMikey
Name: Michael J.
Car: Xray T3 2011 spec

Final Drive Ratios

Post by MeBeMikey »

Just found out that my final drive ratio is 5.49 but Novak says I can run as low as 4.5 with their 13.5 motor. What ratio are you other guys running? For me to get an FDR of 4.5 I would have to run something like a 52 or 53 toothed pinion i think. That just sounds insane. Right now I am running a 43 but am going up to a 45 for this weekend. Thanks! Great weekends racing it was!

Michael
Xray T3 2012 spec: Tekin RS, Futaba BLS551, Orion and MooreSpeed lipos
Associated B4 w/X6 conversion and B44
Spektrum DX3r
Ian_Smith
Committee
Committee
Name: Ian Smith
Car: Schumacher Mi4LP

Re: Final Drive Ratios

Post by Ian_Smith »

Michael,

I have generally been running a FDR of 5.95 with my Nosram Evo ISTC, and Nosram Storm motor (us old boys in the corner all run about the same with similar kit, although I don't have my punch setting as high as the others). However towards the end of last weeks meeting I tried an FDR of 6.26 which was going great until my motor slipped and stripped the spur (apparently I was on for a 25 lapper - absolutely gutted :cry: ). For the finals I used a different sized spur with a 6.12 FDR, again was pretty good but having only qualified in the B I don't know how the speed would have compared to the top A finalists (although I know I would get blown away on the straight by the guys with newer speedos). But it was good enough to get me from a plumb last racing incident on the first lap to 3rd in first final, and win second by panicking Chris Child into a costly mistake a lap from home :lol:

From what I saw of your racing, I don't think you need to stray far from the FDR you current have.

Hope this helps

Ian
Schumacher Mi4LP / Hobbywing Justock / Speed Passion V3.0 17.5
"Speed is nothing without Control" - wish I had just one of 'em! :-)
MeBeMikey
Name: Michael J.
Car: Xray T3 2011 spec

Re: Final Drive Ratios

Post by MeBeMikey »

Thanks Ian. I might just go up one pinion to start with then. I am just amazed at how I started in the 20's with pinions to now be in the 40's. Talk about a lot of money wasted...LOL. But I was just being on the safe side but waaaay too safe I guess. I think I am running the LRP kinda equivalant of your speedo. I have a LRP Sphere Comp. Spec one with Orion 45C 5400 battery. I have the punch set all the way down to the minimum (1). Could be why my motor always seems to come off med warm. I will take it up one notch this weekend to see how it does. When I had it on 3 or 4 my back end kept on coming out on me but I think I solved that with laying the rear shocks down one notch. It really made a huge difference in my last A final. I managed to take second. Could have been closer to 1st if one kid would allow me to pass when lapping or if he did not SLAM into me a few times but I was told on the day he is known for his aggressive driving so I know he is not just doing it to me. We all had to contend with it :roll: . Oh, well. Great day's racing with only a bent aluminum drive shaft.

Thanks for letting me know your ratio. :wink:

Michael
Xray T3 2012 spec: Tekin RS, Futaba BLS551, Orion and MooreSpeed lipos
Associated B4 w/X6 conversion and B44
Spektrum DX3r