Quick Silver - Tamiya & RTR Touring Car Thread

Ready to Run
Eddystone
Name: Richard Dobson
Car: Tamiya TA05v2IFS

Re: Quick Silver - Tamiya & RTR Touring Car Thread

Post by Eddystone »

Richie wrote:That should work !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1
Cheers Richie - We've got to start somewhere to make the QuickSilver rules better known - here seemed like a good place to start!

It's clear from earlier posts today that any use of G2 motors is having a negative effect on the race class as a whole - we can't have it upsetting Mikey now can we?!! The feedback from most of the local racers in the class and the much appreciated external feedback from Biggus and Erica makes it clear that motors need to be restricted to the 27T Tamiya motors only for the benefit of the racing. I'm hoping we don't have anyone wishing to race QuickSilver who intentionally runs a Mardave G2 knowing that these rules have been set. Why cheat with a G2? What's the point when all the fellow racers will be aware of the marked performance difference on the track? It's only going to cause animosity. We need to keep the motor rule clear and simple. Maybe the class should be renamed the "Tamiya 27T Motor Class", but that rather lacks the catchy name, and the "Quick Silver" stickers already look excellent on the side of our cars! Awareness is the key - if everyone is made aware of the rules then perhaps infringements can be punished by not awarding championship points to illegal cars or making these G2 motored cars race in the other non QuickSilver touring car classes.

Richard

And Justin - what are you all doing to kill the motors mate? - my race car still has the same motor in it it came with 12 years ago. Perhaps whatever tricks you are employing to obtain advantage from the motor is the cause of these failures. I just wish everyone could just take a standard motor as it arrives and race with it as it is in the spirit of handout motor racing - but it's not going to happen is it?!
Biggus Ditchus
Getting started
Getting started
Name: Rich
Car: Tamiya TRF415

Post by Biggus Ditchus »

I didnt mean to start a big issue justin, but if the rules state a 27turn Tamiya motor and someone runs a 25turn Mardave motor how is that different to someone in the 13.5t Brushless class running a 10.5t motor, Im sure those running 13.5t would also be a bit put out, just because the motors are slower and the class cheaper I dont see why people should take advantage.
T.O.P. Models Race Team
Remember:
Everyone seems normal until you get to know them.
Never pass up an opportunity to go to the bathroom.
If you woke up breathing, congratulations! You get another chance.
And finally, be really nice to your family and friends; you never know when you might need them to empty your bedpan
Richie
Name: Richard Wilson

Post by Richie »

Richard, I haven't killed my motor, I'm still running the same motor that came with my car, but its different to the cheap thing justin is referring to.
dogpinkscot
Name: Justin
Car: Atomic S2 Mega Dave

Post by dogpinkscot »

its not the speed its the fact you can get off your chair and buy one from the shop on a saturday.......and as for the guy who's had one in for twelve years no wonder its slow mate honestly get a new one for christmas treat yourself :wink: ......lol
Richie

Post by Richie »

its probably steam powered, look I know lads we are never going to agree on this, but from my point of view I don't have an issue with 27t motors, its the practical availability of the motors and that their so open to misuse, whereas the labelled G2's are obvious and simple to scrutinise. Again I know you don't agree, so lets just agree to disagree. I have been racing a number of years and I felt sure a couple of weeks ago that this would happen, I have seen this kind of thing many times before.
Last edited by Richie on Sun Dec 06, 2009 11:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Biggus Ditchus
Getting started
Getting started
Name: Rich
Car: Tamiya TRF415

Post by Biggus Ditchus »

I can see both sides, the availability of G2 motors is a good plus, but Im guessing the idea behind stock Tamiya motors is it means someone can buy a tamiya and run and be competitive without having to spend any more which is what I like. Guess from here on in its for all you club members to decide on.
T.O.P. Models Race Team
Remember:
Everyone seems normal until you get to know them.
Never pass up an opportunity to go to the bathroom.
If you woke up breathing, congratulations! You get another chance.
And finally, be really nice to your family and friends; you never know when you might need them to empty your bedpan
Dale
Expert Member
Expert Member
Name: Dale Knight
Car: TOP Photon

Post by Dale »

Hi Guys,

I did a big post for this but it seems not to have down loaded!

To keep it simple its a Tamiya RTR class which runs a 27t Mabuchi motor.

Yes the Mardave ones are available but its not for this class. I see some cars going round 2 laps quicker and I cannot see the point. This is a great class which will remain that way if it remains pure.

I say Mabuchi to score points, and I am working on getting us a supply asap.

Regards

Dale - Chairman :D
DazLee
Experienced Member
Experienced Member
Name: Darren Lee

Post by DazLee »

Dale,

Just a thought......can the club (Or Eric) get a bulk load of these motors so they are available on race day?

And, if its RTR class, should Lipos or Upgrade ESC's be allowed?

Not trying to cause trouble.........but more of a performance gain can come from good Lipos and good ESC than running a Mardave motor.

Thanks
Daz
Richie

Post by Richie »

Its an interesting point you make Daz

Bedworth are working on creating a standard class based around the 1/10th scale Carisma, and what your suggesting is the concept of the rules, the RTR car comes with 19t (non race tuned motor), stick pack, basic speedo etc and if raced as is, is fully compliant with the rules, once someone upgrades some element then basically stock rules will apply i.e. weight, 27t, 17.5t etc. If an esc/motor blows for example then it can be replaced with a similar low cost unit but definately no upgrades. Again like the RTR lads are trying to create, it aimed at a novice buying something out of the box and racing it competitively.

This is a fine class which will eventually sort itself out. Richard
DazLee
Experienced Member
Experienced Member
Name: Darren Lee

Post by DazLee »

Richie,

I hope you're right.....and it does sort itself out.
It is a gret class and looks like a lot of fun for those involved. There is some very close racing and its great to watch.

I am just concerned that if the rules are taken too far (Lipo's / ESC's outlawed) people will move away from it as it will involve more expense in replacing batteries etc.

It will end up getting silly like the Mardave class did (The carbon chassis incident, brushless motors etc which turned a lot of us away from mardave racing) and thats the last thing this class needs.

Thanks
Daz
Richie

Post by Richie »

Hi Chaps,

Just been doing a spot of web surfing

It appears there are two motors used in the kits ,you have the Johnson 540J and the Mabuchi RS-540SH. Both are 27 turn, Most kits these days come with a Johnson 540

The Johnson is very slightly quicker but a little more expensive.I have detailed the specs below

RS-540SH Mabuchi
Torque at best efficiency: 194g-cm
R.P.M. at best efficiency: 15,080 rpm (7.2V)
Current drain at best efficiency: 5.9A (7.2V)

RS-540J Johnson
Torque at best efficiency: 255g-cm
R.P.M. at best efficiency: 14,500rpm (7.2V)
Current drain at best efficiency: 7.9A (7.2V)

Tamia parts list the johnson unit, Link below http://www.etamiya.com/shop/tamiya-5368 ... -4833.html
dogpinkscot

Post by dogpinkscot »

Tamiya motors it is then all sorted ..... :wink:
dogpinkscot

Post by dogpinkscot »

still cant get over twelve year old motor .......if it was whisky i would offer you good money for it mate...any way ive just spoke to shane who runs the tamiya department at domino's in leicester he says the j motors are nearly £20.00 each and the other kit motors are not really available in bulk as there only usually sold with a kit ..all the" ebay " motors are out of kits and some are just old motors that people dont want ... i cant see the problem if we all use the mardave g2 its a brca legal motor and you can buy them from any club for £9.00 or under ...anyway for now james has decided to race 13.5 class its cheaper :wink:
Eddystone
Name: Richard Dobson
Car: Tamiya TA05v2IFS

Post by Eddystone »

dogpinkscot wrote:still cant get over twelve year old motor .......if it was whisky i would offer you good money for it mate...any way ive just spoke to shane who runs the tamiya department at domino's in leicester he says the j motors are nearly £20.00 each and the other kit motors are not really available in bulk as there only usually sold with a kit ..all the" ebay " motors are out of kits and some are just old motors that people dont want ... i cant see the problem if we all use the mardave g2 its a brca legal motor and you can buy them from any club for £9.00 or under ...anyway for now james has decided to race 13.5 class its cheaper :wink:

Hiya Justin, My twelve year old motor is doing just fine in my twelve year old race car - it's the 36 year brain and the 36 year old thumbs that are causing me to be slow! Anyway I had a word with Santa about a new motor - apparently he only delivers to the good girls and boys so I'll be racing the vintage one for some while yet! :wink:

Motor rule is going to have to be inclusive of both the Johnson and Mabuchi motors Tamiya include in their kits - JUST NO MARDAVE MOTORS! - We are still going to be able to get these motors for about £6 or £7 new as we are looking into a number of sources. The Tamiya list price is just away with the fairies and need not be worried about.

Experience of the season so far has showed us that the only real issue for close racing is the motors. Biggus has tried a TRF415 chassis to no benefit. Ming has tried Lipos and found no major advantage. That's why the core rules for the class as set out from the beginning is the 27T sealed silver can motor, 7.2 NiMh sub-C sized pack or 2 cell Lipo, Rubber tyres - no foams. 3 simple rules - well it should have been that simple!

Richard
Dale
Expert Member
Expert Member
Name: Dale Knight
Car: TOP Photon

Post by Dale »

Hi Justin,

I think its a shame James is going to 13.5t as I think this class is really helping his driving, but understand your wishes etc.

I think the standard speedo/chassis thing does not make much difference I think it is completely the motor, as Ming and others have been trying this etc.

I agree with Daz about the Mardave's as I feel they are only now coming back to where they were before. By sticking to the motor as what this class is all about I hope to avoid this going down the same route.

By the way I need one of these motors when they come for my car! lol

Regards Dale Chairman :lol: