Hail Ming
Expert Member
Expert Member
Name: James Carroll
Car: MM & X2 Evo

Re: Quick Silver - Tamiya & RTR Touring Car Thread

Post by Hail Ming »

Hi Michael,

Very glad you enjoyed yourself - I knew you would. Pity you had to leave early, I think you may have had a debut win otherwise.

See you next week...

James
Last edited by Hail Ming on Thu Nov 19, 2009 9:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Try 'Quick Silver', the Amazing Silver Can Powered Touring Car Class at HRCCC
dogpinkscot
Name: Justin
Car: Atomic S2 Mega Dave

Post by dogpinkscot »

hi micheal j ...the said flailing problem was not due to you infact i didnt even see your incedent the problem i had was with james doing an extra lap for some reason and the guys in the next heat were switching on early which meant his car was running out of control down the main straight which is why i gave it a boot full to stop it honestly kids it was the third time i told him and thats why i got p!$$@D off as the car was up against the track side trying to burn itself out
Richie
Name: Richard Wilson

Post by Richie »

Was that all it was, I thought something serious might of upset you ! :D
dogpinkscot

Post by dogpinkscot »

mmm i had a bad week rich what can i say .... really bad

anyway we,ve found a bit more speed this week gearing tweak and a motor clean ? :wink:
Richie

Post by Richie »

Hey mate, I have those all the time, its good to know your human just like the rest of us.

See you tomorrow for the Fun, and james of course.

And come on isn't James fast enough, give us all a chance
Hail Ming
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by Hail Ming »

Today was another fantastic meeting - two heathly supported heats of Quick Silver racers.

We were delighted to be joined by Rich and Erica from Liverpool who thoroughly enjoyed the racing - they have promised to visit us again soon (Rich/Erica - if you're reading this post - thanks again for joining us, we really enjoyed your company; both in the pits and on the track).

Congratulations to James and Dom for winning the A and B finals respectively - it's good to see junior members showing us 'oldies' how it's done. Thanks also to everyone for participating in today's meeting - I hope you all had as much fun as I did.

Cheers

James
Eddystone
Name: Richard Dobson
Car: Tamiya TA05v2IFS

Post by Eddystone »

Got to agree with James - a great afternoons racing in the Quick Silver class. Fantastic to see Rich and Erica joining us - especially considering they travelled down from Warrington just to race with us, and brought us some Northern weather too!! See the word is spreading of the great racing to be had in the Quick Silver class at Hinckley RCCC!
Richie

Post by Richie »

Hi All

I would like clarification please, Mardave motors are costs effective and locally available in an abundance, are they allowed in RTR. From what I understand they are 25t and the original concept was the motors should be 27t. James can you please clarify. Just for the record I think they should be because of the availability.
Hail Ming
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by Hail Ming »

Hi Rich,

The original concept was to keep it to 27T silver can motors because they are typically the type found in Tamiya and other RTR manufacturer kits. Unfotunately, the Mardave G2 is a 25T motor and, from what I've seen, has a straight line advantage.

Availability of 27T silver can motors is very good on places like ebay and only cost £6 (typically) - perhaps the Club could buy some in so there is a ready supply (Dale, would the Club be prepared to support this request?).

Cheers

James
Last edited by Hail Ming on Sat Nov 21, 2009 11:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Eddystone

Post by Eddystone »

Hi Rich, I agree - we need clarification on this rule and need to stick to it as the 25T Mardave G2 motor does give a speed advantage. ( Well it does to you guys skilled enough to use it! ) As James has said initially the idea was to limit the motor to the stock Tamiya motors provided with their kits - that's either Mabuchi or Johnson 27T motors. Personally I'd like to see it kept to this 27T motor limit as most of the cars being raced come with them as new kits and they are also easily available to purchase - cheap on eBay - Jamie had a load of new ones for sale last week too. Keeping to the 27T limit will also keep the speed of you top racers closer to us lower end drivers - you'll be lapping us less and therefore less likely for us to be causing crashes with you. Allowing the 25T G2 motor basically makes a two tier system of the Quick Silver class which takes it away from the simple "out-of-box" racing ideal.

Richard
Biggus Ditchus
Getting started
Getting started
Name: Rich
Car: Tamiya TRF415

Post by Biggus Ditchus »

Hi all, just wanted to thank you all for the friendly, fun racing we had to day. You made both Erica and I very welcome and we both intend to come back to race.

Just for the record the weather when we left Warrington at 10am this morning was cloudy but dry, it only started raining half way down the toll road. Also on the drive back the weather was fine, after stafford.. so whats all this about us bringing the poor weather :lol: :P

As for the motor debate I would suggest you keep the 27t as you would find in a Tamiya kit.. this way anyone buying an off the shelf tt01 etc should be competitive. The young lad (sorry forgotten his name) was quick with his mardave motor, but looking at him drive I expect he would still be very quick with a 27t Tamiya motor. The G2 motor has better magnets than a Tamiya motor, Im not so sure it was much quicker in a straight line but the evident advantage was the pull it had out of a corner and through the infield. Keep this class pure and simple and you cant go wrong. Hope you don't mind someone who is basically an outsider to this expressing a view.
Regards
Rich
T.O.P. Models Race Team
Remember:
Everyone seems normal until you get to know them.
Never pass up an opportunity to go to the bathroom.
If you woke up breathing, congratulations! You get another chance.
And finally, be really nice to your family and friends; you never know when you might need them to empty your bedpan
Richie

Post by Richie »

OK but a couple of points, who is going to scrutinise this ? and secondly the mardave motor is a silver can, so you need some simple rules posting to ensure this isn't mis interpreted in the future. The lad with the motor today was James, who to be truthful would probably of won anyway I must confess I thought a Mardave silver can was legal because in earlier discussions I remember someone saying it was. Could someone also show me where I can buy a Tamiya motor for £6. Richard
dogpinkscot

Post by dogpinkscot »

Top days racing really enjoyed a clean fun heat today .....im going to put a new tamiya stock can in for next week just so we are all using the same motor ...its such a good class of racing i dont want to spoil it by using the wrong motor intended...

cheers James baker :P
Eddystone

Post by Eddystone »

Richie wrote: Could someone also show me where I can buy a Tamiya motor for £6. Richard
Not quite £6 Rich - can you stretch to the extra 80p?? - eBay - search for Tamiya RS-540SH or item number 330351881235

As for scrutinising motors hopefully we wont need to - aslong as all are aware of the 27T motor rule hopefully we can trust in them to follow it, something which James has demonstrated nicely in his post prior to this one. James drives very well and deserves to win races on his own merit, which I suspect he will continue to do with a 27T motor.
Richie

Post by Richie »

Hi Eddy

In the mind the problem is though the process is fundamentially flawed.

These motors are generally not marked and can be purchased in numerous different windings. How can a person be sure he is buying a 27t motor, the seller may assume its 27t but it might be 25, 22,19 turn. Let face theres enough dodgy sellers out there, you could be buying anything.

On the other hand, Mardave motors are labelled accordingly and available from the club, yes there 25 turn, but at least its a level playing field and we can verify the source. My motor is OK at the moment, its the same motor that came with the car and has lasted 5 races so far and has done me proud, but I feel soon will need replacing, how can I be sure I'm obtaining something comparible with what I currently have ?

So to conclude we need a reliable source of consistent motors, And in my mind this should be the club. So we allow Mardave motors or the club purchase the Tamiya 27t derivative.