Name: John101

Newbi

Post by John101 »

Hi
I'm on the verg of buying my first car, the recommendations I have are:

Traxxas Rustler XL-5 RTR
Associated RC10 B4 RS RTR
HPI E-Firestorm 10T RTR

Are any of these suitable for your club?
The mad1
Name: keith jacques
Car: associated b4

Re: Newbi

Post by The mad1 »

hi buddy welcome aboard i would suggest the associated b4 from the list you have given they are a very competitive and reliable car and they are quite common so you should be able to get spares quite easily for it :wink: me personally i have a losi xxx-cr but i think overall the b4's are more popular

hope that helps buddy if i can help in any other way let me know although you could ask any other member to help and im sure they will as we are all a friendly bunch

keith
Dale
Expert Member
Expert Member
Name: Dale Knight
Car: TOP Photon

Post by Dale »

Hi John,

Firstly thank you for considering to race at Hinckley, we are always pleased to accept new racers at the club.

Keith was right in suggesting the B4 as this is the most popular 1/10th at the moment. The RTR will be a good starter kit and will set you on your way in a cost effective manner. We have a shop at the club Concept Racing who I am sure would love to quote you for your purchase (just mention the club and that you will be coming down and I am sure he will look after you).

We have purchased various new ramps etc this week so the track even better, so get you car in time for Saturday!!

I am also running a BBQ every week in the summer!

Regards

Dale - Chairman
Eddystone
Name: Richard Dobson
Car: Tamiya TA05v2IFS

Post by Eddystone »

Hi John,

Just a few thoughts about your question about your first car. Is this to be your first ever RC car or just your first racer? Are you intending on using the car solely for racing or just out for some fun racing and will also be using the car off track elsewhere aswell? All the cars on your short list are great in their own rights. The B4 is definately the race car out of your list and most suitable for the club. But if you're going to be using the car more elsewhere than just racing maybe one of the others would be better for you. Also have you considered buying a kit you build yourself rather than an RTR - it might give you an improved understanding of the car and equip you with extra knowledge of it to help with repairs / improvements to the car that you don't get so easily with an RTR.

Richard
John101
Name: John101

Post by John101 »

Firstly thanks for your helpful comments.

It will be my first serious RC car. I would like the car to be capable of racing off road as well as on. I'm looking to spend around £200 all in. I think it would be great to build one myself. The only ones I've seen are the Hornet & Boomerang and people say they are out of date and spares are hard to get.

I am very open to any suggestions.

John
Eddystone
Name: Richard Dobson
Car: Tamiya TA05v2IFS

Post by Eddystone »

John,

Thanks for the extra info - you may be surprised to hear but the Tamiya Hornet and Boomerang cars you've mentioned have both recently been re-released by Tamiya and parts are very easily available for both. Both are good cars and can be raced at Hinckley in the "Retro Racers" class. Infact I raced a Hornet last weekend. The Hornet was first produced by Tamiya in 1984, the Boomerang in 1986. Both therefore are suitable for racing in the Retro class as are any of the other re-released Tamiya models. Retro Racers is a fun class with motors restricted to standard kit supplied motors or equivalent. The Tamiya cars are pretty tough - the Hornet I raced last weekend was an original 1984 one - ofcourse it's had some new parts over the years but it's still going! Building one of these is relatively easy as the Tamiya instructions are excellent and you'll have the sense of achievement of racing something you've built yourself. As a start into racing you may be better off with a Tamiya and joining us in the Retro Racers. The B4 is no doubt a better race car than the Tamiyas but you may find the Tamiyas more versatile, and more fun overall.

Richard
Dale
Expert Member
Expert Member
Name: Dale Knight
Car: TOP Photon

Post by Dale »

Hi,

To follow on from Richards comments I think the whole idea of building a car is very important as it gives you a firm undertanding when fixing broken parts.

I think it would bhe good for you to pop down and take a look at both Retro and 2WD so you can see which one appeals to you the most. You can talk to Eric at the shop and see what deal he is doing!

Regards

Dale
Wacker2
Name: Jon Seals(Wacker2)
Car: TLR 22

Post by Wacker2 »

Hi John... looking forward to racing with you soon.

You couldn't of picked a better club to race at, we have a very diverse range of racers and so its a guaranteed good day whatever you decide to drive.

However, I would seriously urge you to go for the Associated B4. It is a fantast car, great quality and very very competitive at all levels. Easy to set up, easy to drive straight from the box and everybody will be able to help you out if you ever hit difficulties with the car... The RC10 B4 is the Austin Mini of the real car world - everybody has either got one, owned one in the past or knows somebody that has one!!!

Buying 1 as a kit is definately the way to go... half of the enjoyment of starting racing is recieving a package in the post (everybody likes to receive packages, its like Xmas!) and spending the day building it. You build a bond with the car as you build it, makes you understand the car and how it works alot better, and gives you great satisfaction as you bring it home for that 1st win! :D

The Retro class is something that we have brought into play this year, which has had good support over the 1st two weeks of the HRCCC calander. If you were to go for a retro racer than I would seriously suggest a Mardave Cobra, or tracking down an old original tub chassis RC10... these will be more suited to racing on bumpy services like grass and over obstacles and will also allow you to adjust the set up of the car to suit your driving style (most of the Tamiya retro cars were never really designed as competitive off road cars and so struggle outdoors on a track). However, if you do decide to go for a retro racer then you must be aware that not many clubs cater for this class, and so you will be very restricted if you ever decide to race at other nearby clubs or even at any of the BRCA regional events.

Associated RC10 B4 is definately the way to go!!!

Look forward to seeing you on Saturday!

Jon