Choosing a 1/10th Touring Car

Post anything that does not fit into any of the other forums.
MeBeMikey
Name: Michael J.
Car: Xray T3 2011 spec

Choosing a 1/10th Touring Car

Post by MeBeMikey »

I would really appreciate some help in deciding which touring car to purchase and have a few questions and info requests.

1. Which car? (would like good product support incase it breaks)
2. To lipo or not to lipo? Should I get a car that is compatible with both NIMH and Lipo so that when I visit other tracks I can do either.
3. Should I get a 19 turn brushed, 10.5 and 13.5 motors so that I can make sure I have the right motor for any track I visit? or what is the most common class that is run at most tracks?
4. What spares to have in the pit box?
5. What's a good set-up station to have?
6. What tyres seem to be the best on carpet?
7. Tyre additive and warmers?

Thanks in advance! I know it's a lot of questions. I did not know I was going to go ahead and get one until the season was over.

Michael Johnson

PS: I'll be coming up for some off-road action soon!
Xray T3 2012 spec: Tekin RS, Futaba BLS551, Orion and MooreSpeed lipos
Associated B4 w/X6 conversion and B44
Spektrum DX3r
The mad1
Name: keith jacques
Car: associated b4

Re: Choosing a 1/10th Touring Car

Post by The mad1 »

i have an xray t2 that i will be selling soon if your intereted pm me

to run at hinkley its 13.5/27t with a lipo or with nihms

id give you more info but iv only just come bk to racing after a 15 year break and im still trying to find my feet lol iv tried touring cars and its not for me so im going to mardaves for indoors lol
Dale
Expert Member
Expert Member
Name: Dale Knight
Car: TOP Photon

Post by Dale »

Hi Michael,

Thank you for posting on the Forum.

At Hinckley the vast majority of us run the Xray cars as we enjoy good support from Mirage and Ben Cosgrove especially who helps with set-ups and generally understanding the cars.
I find them to be exceptionally well made and durable so the question really is one of budget. I have done my best to answer your questions below:

1. Which car? (would like good product support incase it breaks) I would go Xray as spares are plentiful and reasonable. Most things such as wishbones do not seem to break, mainly wear on belts and usual things.
2. To lipo or not to lipo? Should I get a car that is compatible with both NIMH and Lipo so that when I visit other tracks I can do either. The reality is that most cars are still built for 6 cell but the new Xray 09 has a modification to enable all lipo's to fit. I would definately go Lipo for ease, cost savings in the long run and of course better pace (Nosram or Orion I would go for)
3. Should I get a 19 turn brushed, 10.5 and 13.5 motors so that I can make sure I have the right motor for any track I visit? or what is the most common class that is run at most tracks? Club racing at Hinckley is mainly 13.5t at the moment but there seems to be a callng for the better drivers to go 10.5t next year. Outdoor 10.5t and I would leave brushed well alone now as brushless is the future.
4. What spares to have in the pit box?Once you decide on a car come and see me and I can let you know
5. What's a good set-up station to have? If you are club racing you can borrow another persons or if you are flush go for anything Hudy but it will cost you!
6. What tyres seem to be the best on carpet?VTEC 27's £32.99 rrp for a full set
7. Tyre additive and warmers?
Nosram or LRP - both the same but go for carpet one

Hope this helps but feel free to pop down for a chat. I can introduce you to many members whom will be more than happy to chat to you about option. If you want a new car I say go Xray 09 without blinking. If you want second hand there are many which will be for sale from good starter cars to last years Xray models which will all be well priced.

Regards

Dale
Chairman
MeBeMikey
Name: Michael J.
Car: Xray T3 2011 spec

Post by MeBeMikey »

Hey, Thanks for that! Will get the Xray car. I was about to go associated. I just went to the Mirage website...seems you cannot just purchase directly from there. Where do you go to buy your stuff directly. I usually go to demonpowerproducts.co.uk

Michael
Xray T3 2012 spec: Tekin RS, Futaba BLS551, Orion and MooreSpeed lipos
Associated B4 w/X6 conversion and B44
Spektrum DX3r
Dale
Expert Member
Expert Member
Name: Dale Knight
Car: TOP Photon

Post by Dale »

If you are looking new then have a chat with Eric down at the club (he is concept racing). If you are looking for several items I am sure he will do a deal for you. He recently offered us a 10% discount for members for Mirage, so start from there!!!

I would not go Associated as they have been poor for a while!

I have messaged Eric to contact you via the forum!

Regards

Dale