who is doing the regionals this year?

Post anything that does not fit into any of the other forums.
The mad1
Name: keith jacques
Car: associated b4

Re: who is doing the regionals this year?

Post by The mad1 »

personally i think it should be 27t/13.5t dunno about anyone else like that way it keeps it competative as it keeps cost down
nick
Getting started
Getting started
Name: Nick Hudson
Car: TLR22, AC S2, B4

Post by nick »

i'll hopefully have a bit more time this year to do a few regionals (2WD & 4WD) especially now as lipos are legal :D

i have never been a fan of foam tyres on buggys - it just doesn't seem right somehow. get a set of blue mini-pins (the yellows, as dean says, wear out pretty quick) and they'll last a long time and provide good grip (as long as it's an all carpet track) with none of the usual foam tyre issues i.e. chunking, diameter differences etc etc etc - in my opinion, the only cars that should run foams indoors are 1/12th and mardave
Last edited by nick on Wed Mar 25, 2009 9:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The mad1

Post by The mad1 »

il hve some pro line square fuzzie/fuzzle tyres i wana try myself they are from the states and i recon they will suit indoors on the carpet down to a t
they are very similar to the holshot tyres
Wacker2
Name: Jon Seals(Wacker2)
Car: TLR 22

Post by Wacker2 »

cant run mini pins or spikes on the carpet... as this will drastically wear the carpet out and ruin it for the propper indoor racing.

The only way buggies will work is to run on foams - grip better, last longer, and not damage the carpet.

Not sure how buggies on foam tyres will run on standard springs but on touring car springs they handled really well. Somebody said it defeats the object of running buggies... this is not buggy racing as normal - propper buggy racing is always outdoors on either grass or astroturf... this is just another form of racing indoors and so if everybody races on foams with touring car springs then it would still be competitive and great fun.

I know we used to run modified motors indoors, and like warr said the main problem we had before was the track being very hard wearing on the wishbones and many snappages making it very costly and very frustrating... with the new improved track markings i predict this would no longer cause any problems and so would be a great form of racing. I'd certainly be up for a revival.

However, saying that, we need to get a decent amount of people to do it else it will not be successful and will just fizzle out.

Thanks, Jon
The mad1

Post by The mad1 »

i raced 2wd and 4wd buggies with mini pins/spikes on the same carpet for 6 years and it didnt wreck the carpet at bedworth indoor club before we built the tarmac track so im not sure it would wreck it myself

i have also used buggies on standard springs with foam tyres and its not much diferent really easy enough to set them up

i suggested standard motors to try and keep the cost down for people like myself as i cant afford to go and get a top speedo and modified motors for my son, my daughter and for myself otherwise we wouldnt have a chance, not as my kids are ready for racing buggies indoors as yet but they want to in the future
tomjgardner
Average Member
Average Member

Post by tomjgardner »

Guy's,

I would be very interested in running buggy's indoor again if there are sufficient numbers and we were going to run mini pins and 27t/13.5 motors.

I would not recommend anybody using blue mini pins as even though we used to use these on carpet back in the day. Since the use of tyre additive was allowed in other classes the grip provided by the blue compound was drastically reduced. Add to that the fact that when the spikes on the blue tyres wear the grip given reduces more quickly than that of the yellows. I used to be able to get 4-6 weeks out of a set of yellow mini pins (around £16) when we wear at the boys club and that is better going than the Vtec 27's on the TC at the moment (£30+).

As for drastic wear on the carpet, the only time I remember any damage being done to the carpet by spikes was when people used low turn motors and spun the tyres up leaving friction burns. If we stuck to 13.5/27t this would not occur.
warr2
Experienced Member
Experienced Member
Name: David

Post by warr2 »

The whole carpet damage thing is a myth with buggies.

I have seen marks caused by spiked touring car tyres, - but touring cars have much smaller tyres which exert higher pressure, and often solid axles / one ways.

With wide tyres and diffs as used in buggies it simply isn't an issue. Everybody ran spikes and nobody even thought about carpet damage till touring cars came along in th late 90's.

What might be better than minipins from a tyre wear point of view is yellow minispikes. - They don't give the same level of grip (1 - 2 laps slower) but once the corners have worn off the spikes (usually within 1-2 runs are more consistant .) Also virtually everybody with a buggy will have some old minispikes in their pit box from running offroad.

Sticking to slower motors also greatly improves tyre wear.
nick
Getting started
Getting started
Name: Nick Hudson
Car: TLR22, AC S2, B4

Post by nick »

i have no idea how you got so many races out of the yellow mini-pins - i did one round of the west bridgford indoor off-road series and used one set of rears up in 5 races (4 round and 1 final) - they are bald in the middle - the fronts did a little better but wouldn't do more than another 2-3 races. i guess modified motors don't help with tyre wear but i wouldn't be interested in foams/TC springs/stock motors - its like mardave racing but with wider cars :roll:
Wacker1
Expert Member
Expert Member
Name: Dean Gibbs(Wacker1)
Car: Yoke BD8 17. YZ-2CA

Post by Wacker1 »

I think that if the Hinckley Club was to have an Indoor Buggy Heat, with various Jumps & Obstacles(similar to Worksop & West Bridgford), then running Rubber Mini-Pin Tyres would be the only way to go.............as its not really possible to have an Off-Road style layout Indoors, because of the Mardave, 12th Pan Cars & Touring Car Heats running as well, then I cant see a problem with running Foam Tyres on them............thats what Buggies originally started on Indoors, around 15-20Years ago anyway.

I do think that it would be better to stick to the proper Buggy Springs(still set as low as possible) this time round though, as it'll be down to Driver skill & Set-up, rather than just bunging on a set of extremely hard Touring Car Springs & driving like a Nutter! :lol:

As for Motors, whether its Racing Outdoors or Indoors, Buggies have'nt had a Motor Limit for Years, so I dont see the point in having one now.......if some Racers dont feel confident with a Modified Motor, then they still have a variation of other Classes at the Club which they can have a go at instead.i.e.Mardave, Mardave Mod, 12th Pan Cars & 13.5T/27T Stock Touring.

Foam Tyres/Buggy Springs/Modified Motor.......is the way forward 8)
Dale
Expert Member
Expert Member
Name: Dale Knight
Car: TOP Photon

Post by Dale »

Hi All,

Warren - 4wd and small springs not really what I was looking for, but with normal springs might be interesting. Maybe something for a fun week to have a look at.

Mad one - I have around 8 sets of front blue buggy foams for sale rrp £4.50 a pair but would sell two sets for £5 whilst I have them.

6 people coming week in and week out with large springs and foams or spikes would be considered for a heat. I would suggest a trial run on the last week indoors which is normally a fun week, but please please do not bring buggys down as individuals and try to race them. We currently need to stick to agreed heats TC/1/12th/Mardave.

Regards

Dale
The mad1

Post by The mad1 »

ok matey nice one buddy il sort it out with you on saterday
il be up for racing the buggy fun week thats for sure will it be modified or standard motors buddy?
WARRENRYAN
I'm not a brummie I'm a Yam Yam!
Name: WARRENRYAN

Post by WARRENRYAN »

Maybe it could be something to try for the next indoor season?
Dale
Expert Member
Expert Member
Name: Dale Knight
Car: TOP Photon

Post by Dale »

Hi Warren,

I think with the added buggy interest this year at the club this may want to spill into next indoor season. As such it is something that could be considered nearer the time.

Again we would need to agree a format and numbers so to ensure it could be sustained.

Regards

Dale