B3 Gearing

Swap, share and discuss setups
MeBeMikey
Name: Michael J.
Car: Xray T3 2011 spec

B3 Gearing

Post by MeBeMikey »

I am trying to help someone out on getting their B3 up and running for the summer season but I am totally unfamiliar with Associated vehicles, won't be for too much longer. My friend has an 8.5 Novak non-sintered motor and will be running it on 6 cells. I would like a conservative gearing recommendation as this is the first brushless system my friend has had as I believe they are more use to 27t motors. His spur gear I believe is stock size but what ever spur gear and pinion combo you give me I will adjust only the pinion accordingly.

Thanks

Michael
TeamBritUS
Xray T3 2012 spec: Tekin RS, Futaba BLS551, Orion and MooreSpeed lipos
Associated B4 w/X6 conversion and B44
Spektrum DX3r
warr2
Experienced Member
Experienced Member
Name: David

Re: B3 Gearing

Post by warr2 »

Never run an 8.5, but for a 6.5 you'd want to be geared approx 10.2 overall.

Internal ratio of a b3 is 2.4 so assuming it's the standard 81t spur gear, that would be a 19t pinion.

For an 8.5 you'll need to be geared a little bit higher, so if it were me I'd try a 22t pinion to start with.
MeBeMikey
Name: Michael J.
Car: Xray T3 2011 spec

Post by MeBeMikey »

warr2 wrote:Never run an 8.5, but for a 6.5 you'd want to be geared approx 10.2 overall.

Internal ratio of a b3 is 2.4 so assuming it's the standard 81t spur gear, that would be a 19t pinion.

For an 8.5 you'll need to be geared a little bit higher, so if it were me I'd try a 22t pinion to start with.
Never run an 8.5? Now that depends on circumstances. :lol: This motor is already mounted up and read to go. I know 6.5 is what you need to be at the top competitive level of buggy racing but we race just for the fun of it. Maybe one day he might get a 6.5 but an 8.5 will be fast enough for him.

Thanks for the info. Will pass on to him the pinion choice.

Michael
Xray T3 2012 spec: Tekin RS, Futaba BLS551, Orion and MooreSpeed lipos
Associated B4 w/X6 conversion and B44
Spektrum DX3r
warr2
Experienced Member
Experienced Member
Name: David

Post by warr2 »

"Never run" as in "I've never run" not as in "Never should be run" :roll: