Hail Ming
Expert Member
Expert Member
Name: James Carroll
Car: MM & X2 Evo

Re: Clarification of the Quick Silver Series Rules

Post by Hail Ming »

Hi Nick,

Thanks for the post and to follow on from Justin's comments, the chassis isn't a big issue in this class. We had a TRF415 racing with us the other week - the driver was very good and an experienced racer, but the chassis didn't offer any noticable advantages over entry level cars such as the TT01.

The reason for this is down to the silver can motor - although competition cars are more tunable than basic kits, these advantages aren't so apparent because the dynamic demands are well within the capabilities of even an entry level car.

My TT01E is almost completely kit standard with the exception of bearings, gearing and adjustable upper links, but it's right on the pace. Likewise, my mate ran my old TB01 - chassis is completely kit standard and weighs a ton - and he qualified 2nd in the A final.

To echo Justin's invitation - come along and join in the fun; you'll be made to feel very welcome.

Cheers

James
Try 'Quick Silver', the Amazing Silver Can Powered Touring Car Class at HRCCC
Richie
Name: Richard Wilson

Post by Richie »

Nick is right though, how can any 1/10th touring car chassis be a RTR, bit of a contridiction in terms really. I personally have always disagreed with this particular principal, even before the rules were written, although James has always claimed that the motor is the limiting factor. Not really been an issue so far because those racing have been running RTR's, however once others start racing with carbon fibre chassis's I feel it will create an unfair advantage (just my opinion). We'll have to wait an see, however if the more experienced racers start running in the silver can class what does that tell you about the brushless class ?
Dale
Expert Member
Expert Member
Name: Dale Knight
Car: TOP Photon

Post by Dale »

Hi Guys,

I do think that the RTR class should not allow Xray T2's etc but older cars such as TC3's no worries.

The main issue for this class is to keep standard for 99% if not 100% or it will loose its magic.

Regards Dale :D
nick
Getting started
Getting started
Name: Nick Hudson
Car: TLR22, AC S2, B4

Post by nick »

as an (as yet) non-racer in this class the last thing i want to do is cause any upset as i think the principle of the class is sound.

the one thing i will add is that it does feel good beating more expensive, perhaps 'capable' cars with a £30 TT01E made up from odd bits and pieces i had lying around !! :P :P :P :mrgreen:
Richie
Name: Richard Wilson

Post by Richie »

Agreed Dale,

I honestly believe that a tt01 in a fair comparison won't beat an Xray for example.

My tt01 has non adjustable shocks, a ride height suitable for offroading and 185mm track width, further more the rear wheels are parallel so without upgrade I wouldn't expect it to be on the pace of the other high performance chassis's and frankly I don't want it to be because you then start to create the situation where spending large sums of money creates a racing advantage which isn't what RTR is all about. One sensible reason for this rule may have been to try and encourage people into the class when it was first created, however now the class is more established and growing, it may be prudent to reconsider if this rule is necessary anymore.

Nick, don't get overly concerned regarding expressing your thoughts on the forum, because thats whats its there for. Like most clubs its a great bunch of guys who really enjoy the racing experience, remember its important clubs understand what people want otherwise no one would attend something their not happy with.
Eddystone
Name: Richard Dobson
Car: Tamiya TA05v2IFS

Post by Eddystone »

nick wrote:as an (as yet) non-racer in this class the last thing i want to do is cause any upset as i think the principle of the class is sound.

the one thing i will add is that it does feel good beating more expensive, perhaps 'capable' cars with a £30 TT01E made up from odd bits and pieces i had lying around !! :P :P :P :mrgreen:
Nick mate - you've got it right there. that's the whole point of the class. I'm racing a 12 year old Tamiya TL-01. The chassis design is about as far removed from the latest top race cars as it's possible to be. It's possibly the biggest, heaviest, ugliest car ever to grace the Hinckley track but I'm loving racing it. Slowly my driving is improving and my lap times are nudging closer to the best racers in the class. Incidentally this big heavy ugly car is currently also leading the Quick Silver championship! I'd like to think drivers who are going all out for the win and prepared to spend the money to buy a car specifically to do it would go off and race in the other money-no-object touring car classes. But I'd also like to think that someone who just happens to have a decent chassis isn't excluded from racing in the Quick Silver class if their motivation for it is sound. As HailMing has said I believe the ethos behind the racing is more important than the chassis raced. Quick Silver class is meant to be fun and easily accesible to all. Come and check us out in the pits - my pit table consists of just a charger and a cup of coffee - that's the ethos behind Quick Silver!!

Richard
Biggus Ditchus
Getting started
Getting started
Name: Rich
Car: Tamiya TRF415

Post by Biggus Ditchus »

nick wrote:following a rather large break from racing after the summer buggy season (but having raced TT01E's before) i was considering having a go in this class. having read the rules they all look good except for rule 6 allowing any 1/10th TC chassis into the class. i know from experience that even my well set up TT01E is not comparable to another more 'race oriented' chassis irrespective of motor/batteries etc etc and in my opinion makes it a non-starter. whilst i understand that driver skill is the most important factor, not starting from a relatively level playing field as far as chassis's go makes the whole thing less attractive.

surely, if the point of the class is to allow a new driver to turn up with a bog-standard car and race against comparable equipment then i cannot understand rule 6 at all. it all seems rather contradictory and has the potential to turn into a version of the other classes which, unless i've got the wrong end of the stick, is not how it was conceived.

just my 2p's worth and merely an observation....i understand how difficult it is to come up with a set of rules that satisfy everyone (for difficult, read 'impossible')

nick hudson
Nick
I raced the other week, had an absolute blast. As Hail Ming already pointed out the chassis doesnt appear to make any difference, the motor levels the playing field. I was the guy running the TRF415, which only a few years ago was the tourer to beat in national and international 1/10 tourers, I put a silver can in it (doesnt look right) and I had no more pace than anyone else, had great battles with tt01's tb01's etc and I couldnt keep up with one of the TT01s. Now I have had many years experience racing and see myself as quite a good driver (am in the top 5 or 6 at my local club). I will be there Saturday with my other half and her noisy TB02 for more fun, I do hope you will be joining us.
T.O.P. Models Race Team
Remember:
Everyone seems normal until you get to know them.
Never pass up an opportunity to go to the bathroom.
If you woke up breathing, congratulations! You get another chance.
And finally, be really nice to your family and friends; you never know when you might need them to empty your bedpan
Eddystone
Name: Richard Dobson
Car: Tamiya TA05v2IFS

Post by Eddystone »

Biggus Ditchus wrote: I will be there Saturday with my other half and her noisy TB02 for more fun, I do hope you will be joining us.
Rich - You're making Erica race the lawnmower again? - Think it's time she concidered changing her pit crew!!
Biggus Ditchus
Getting started
Getting started
Name: Rich
Car: Tamiya TRF415

Post by Biggus Ditchus »

:lol: Its ok I have just stripped it and fitted a new spur gear and steel pinion. ITS QUIET! ish.
T.O.P. Models Race Team
Remember:
Everyone seems normal until you get to know them.
Never pass up an opportunity to go to the bathroom.
If you woke up breathing, congratulations! You get another chance.
And finally, be really nice to your family and friends; you never know when you might need them to empty your bedpan