Quick Silver - Tamiya & RTR Touring Car Thread

Ready to Run
dogpinkscot
Name: Justin
Car: Atomic S2 Mega Dave

Re: Quick Silver - Tamiya & RTR Touring Car Thread

Post by dogpinkscot »

i really do think every one is being short sighted on this ...1 its not a tamiya class and 2 tamiya DO NOT make the motor they just simply supply it so why the loyalty its not like there a good motor they run very hot and have no torque ....£20 quid ?

the club supply a motor for the class its there to buy you dont have to stock two different motors its simple logistics :roll:
Concept Racing
Experienced Member
Experienced Member
Name: Eric Wilcock
Car: XB8TQ, HB C12

Post by Concept Racing »

Just as an alternative, HPI do a 27T motor called the Saturn they retail at £6.49, http://www.hpiracing.co.uk/piw.php?partNo=1144 if we order more than 10 I can do them for £6.00 each, HPI will be having these come in stock towards the end of the month, so if this class is interested I can place the order and when we come back in the new year they should hopefully be with me not long after, I will ask if they can supply just one for now to test to see if its suitable, cheers Eric
dogpinkscot
Name: Justin
Car: Atomic S2 Mega Dave

Post by dogpinkscot »

you see thats what i call forward thinking eric your a star but i bet we cant use it ?
Eddystone
Name: Richard Dobson
Car: Tamiya TA05v2IFS

Post by Eddystone »

No objections from me on using the HPI Saturn 27T motor - it ticks all the right boxes. Sealed can 27T motor. Plain bushes. No internal fan.
Biggus Ditchus
Getting started
Getting started
Name: Rich
Car: Tamiya TRF415

Post by Biggus Ditchus »

Does this mean everyone would be happy :D
T.O.P. Models Race Team
Remember:
Everyone seems normal until you get to know them.
Never pass up an opportunity to go to the bathroom.
If you woke up breathing, congratulations! You get another chance.
And finally, be really nice to your family and friends; you never know when you might need them to empty your bedpan
Hail Ming
Expert Member
Expert Member
Name: James Carroll
Car: MM & X2 Evo

Post by Hail Ming »

Absolutely not.......... :evil:

Only kidding - sounds like a cheap, convenient and reliable source for replacement motors. As long as people run 27T sealed silver can motors with fixed timing, plain bushes and no internal fan - we're sorted.

Please remember that Jamie has kindly ordered some motors in from his contact. Can I suggest we use these up first?

Cheers

James
Try 'Quick Silver', the Amazing Silver Can Powered Touring Car Class at HRCCC
Dale
Expert Member
Expert Member
Name: Dale Knight
Car: TOP Photon

Post by Dale »

Good point James about Jamie - club will buy them.

Regards

Dale
MeBeMikey
Name: Michael J.
Car: Xray T3 2011 spec

Post by MeBeMikey »

I just got two Mabuchi motors off ebay 15 pounds shipped. Only one left now though but he can get them back in stock too. I will have to get one of those saturn motors. Will want to try that out too to see how the brushes hold up if we get any.

I still think running a car that is half the weight of what should be an RTR cheap car is kinda upping the bar a bit. Keeping the class cheap by running a 200-400 quid car that's been retired is not cheap. A lightweight car will go faster, corner better and will not enjoy the flipping over like us Tamiya guys. The name of this thread and what everyone else was running at the time when I started made me go out and buy an RTR Tamiya. The only reason I was able to beat people in the class with a TT01 is because of my driving ability. But to be honest...I do like a challenge. I qualified 3rd in the 13.5 class with NIMH and 27t motor in a Tamiya TA05...quite chuffed. Just a plain ol' plastic car that cost me 70 quid off ebay. Now I have brushless so I will hopefully keep up with the top guys now. So I wonder what I would do with a 1/10th carbon fiber chassis in this class. I think I might try it just to see the difference and then go back to my Tamiya. Surely I will do a few more laps in the class.

With lipos there is a big difference. NIMH under load does not maintain its 7.2 volts. It drops off massively and loses it puch on the 2nd lap where as Lipo maintains it's voltage throughout and when not under load they are over 8 volts. And the punch they give is a lot more so there is more umphh out of the turns. But Lipo is the way to go now. It's a lot cheaper now. Are there any limits on lipos C Rating in this class before I buy some? Soon that will be what all my cars will be running...off-road and on.

Nah, not complaining (love discussing aspects of racing) but I was compared to someone who drove a carbon fiber chassis but like I said it was only my driving ability that qualified me above him. Got beat in final. I was grip rolling to no end. :lol:

PS: Still me favourite club you are.
Xray T3 2012 spec: Tekin RS, Futaba BLS551, Orion and MooreSpeed lipos
Associated B4 w/X6 conversion and B44
Spektrum DX3r
Dale
Expert Member
Expert Member
Name: Dale Knight
Car: TOP Photon

Post by Dale »

Hi and thanks for the comments.

Interestingly James (Ming) ran differing batteries and found the motor was the limit on performance so not much to be gained on this me feels. I think it might actually be the case that more powerful cells may aid to heat up the motor more and effect performance - I am guessing here.

I do know what you are saying with the better chassis and they must have a small advantage but to be honest the main entrants with these types of car will be new drivers looking at this as a great way to start racing a bit slower than the brushless class, but wanting to use a car which will last the progressions etc.

Anyone entering with a top chassis, quicker motor and not a novice is really barking up the wrong tree with this class and the club will be directing them to the other classes anyway as they will have more fun.

As for cells I would say any of the current Lipo's are very good and there is no C ratign at the moment. See Eric and Concept Racing - he will look after you on a purchase!

Thanks for your comments about the club also. We do our best and we are always trying to improve and I am glad you are happy at HRCCC!

Regards Dale
jayst
Name: jamie cheshire
Car: T D . 210,410.408

Post by jayst »

i contacted the bloke i get the motors from and i gotta phone back tomorrow . does anyone need any tamiya parts . he breaks down tamiyas so he shud have the parts needed .will update soon
Eddystone

Post by Eddystone »

Hi Mikey, I say try these things and report back on here what you find. I'd be interested to hear your experiences on whether you find Lipo batteries and higher spec chassis are any major advantage once you've tried running them in the Quick Silver class. Others say they're not but another opinion from your point of view would be most welcome.
Concept Racing
Experienced Member
Experienced Member
Name: Eric Wilcock
Car: XB8TQ, HB C12

Post by Concept Racing »

Hi All,

Spoke to HPI yesterday and I should recieve the Saturn motors first week in January on a special order from the far east, Jamie is trying to find a couple for testing purposes from other scources as HPI have none at all to let us try. they also do other Saturn motors:

http://www.hpiracing.co.uk/catalogue.php?pg=ECMO

As for Lipo batterys, HPI also do these at a very competetive prices, use the link to see what they currently carry in stock and prices, these can all be ordered through Concept Racing, I currently have a couple of 4000mah 20c lipos in stock if anyone wants to have a look.

http://www.hpiracing.co.uk/catalogue.php?pg=ECBA

Cheers Eric
Hail Ming
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by Hail Ming »

This thread has been getting a bit too serious of late with all this talk about rules :roll: . So as it's Christmas and the next meeting is the last in the current season - Richard and I thought it would be a good idea to turn a wager we're having into something with a broader appeal - a mince pie tasting session.

We'll be bringing along a selection of supermarket brand mince pies to see which supermarket is the Christmas No. 1 for 2009! With this being the season of good will and in the spirit of Quick Silver, you're all invited to join us in our tasting session and help spread some festive cheer...hoorah!

James :D
Eddystone

Post by Eddystone »

Ha Ha Ha - or Should I say Ho Ho Ho - it's the Quick Silver Christmas party!! Should be fun!!!
Hail Ming
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by Hail Ming »

Right then - another idea has sprung to mind to make the last meeting on the 19th feel a bit Christmassy...

...the HRCCC Christmas 2009 'best decorated car' competition.

The theme is Christmas (no shocks there) and there'll be a prize for the best/most original design. The judging will be undertaken by Race Control (haven't asked yet, but I'm sure either Roger or Scott will be happy to help) during the break between qualifying and the finals.

This is open to everybody (not just us Quick Silver guys and gals) so get you thinking caps on and have fun!

James