Hail Ming
Expert Member
Expert Member
Name: James Carroll
Car: MM & X2 Evo

Re: Quick Silver - Tamiya & RTR Touring Car Thread

Post by Hail Ming »

Rich,

I've put the idea of the club stocking motors to Dale - but I don't think we should be too concerned with the issue or else we'll be going the same way as the Mardave class. As Richard said - we should trust each other to play fair - at the end of the day, this is all just a bit of fun.

Cheers

James
Try 'Quick Silver', the Amazing Silver Can Powered Touring Car Class at HRCCC
Eddystone
Name: Richard Dobson
Car: Tamiya TA05v2IFS

Post by Eddystone »

Very good point Richie - the lack of obvious markings on the Tamiya type 540 silver can motors does make it difficult to identify them easily. I'm hoping the people racing with us are honest and want to race on an equal footing with an equal motor. A reliable source for the motors is the best way to ensure the correct ones are purchased. As the majority of the cars being raced are Tamiya it's easy to trust the kit supplied motors on any new built cars. It's also easy for me to trust a number of eBay sellers who are in the business of splitting kits for spares as they have a ready supply of the stock Tamiya motors. Oliver at TauntonTamiya is such a seller ( the eBay item number I mentioned earlier was one of his ). There's a few more sellers that also come to mind as reliable sources, MELIANW, Selections-web, and Europro975. As most people upgrading Tamiya cars will be buying a "better" motor there is a surplus of stock Tamiya motors available from these sort of sellers so no need for them to sell anything other than the Tamiya 540 they say it is. Ofcourse a ready supply in the drawer by race control would be nice! Jamie Cheshire had a few last week and I believe he could source more.

Richard D.
Dale
Expert Member
Expert Member
Name: Dale Knight
Car: TOP Photon

Post by Dale »

Hi Guys,

The scruitineering is not needed as it is obvious if the Tamiya wind is not used.

I want to say thank you for James's comments and how he is preserving the feel of the class by purchasing the normal motor etc. I think this is definately the route to take with this class.

I am happy to stock the motor for the club members. If someone can let me know if we can get a trade account or something then fab, if not happy to get half a dozen in at all times etc.

I want to also say thank you to our northern friends for attending! This is a class which has a strong following and this kind of travelling is no surprise to me, but it is always great to hear about someone who is prepared to travel so far to attend our little club! I look forward to actually having time to say hello when you are next in town.

This is a great class and one we wish to build on. Anything the club can do to support will be done.

Kind Regards

Dale Knight - Chairman
Hail Ming
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by Hail Ming »

Cheers Dale,

The club's support is very much appreciated...

Unless we have a trade connection, I think ebay is where we're likely to find the cheapest prices for the reasons explained in Richard's earlier post. The RRP for a tamiya Mabuchi is £19.50! - so £6-7 from ebay is a bargain and is akin to the price of a Mardave G2. If you're happy with this price, how do we want to go about ordering them?

James
Richie
Name: Richard Wilson

Post by Richie »

Look lads, I know I keep harping on, but who is going to want to pay £19.50 for a tamiya motor when a mardave silver can is £9 & OK it maybe is slightly faster but is it really that much different. Why don't you just allow Mardave motors ! Isn't this that simple. If this is all about fun then whats the big issue here with a Mardave motor.
Wacker1
Expert Member
Expert Member
Name: Dean Gibbs(Wacker1)
Car: Yoke BD8 17. YZ-2CA

Post by Wacker1 »

Hi all,

I know I'm NOT a Racer in your RTR 'Quick Silver' Class, but after hearing some of your Comments regarding the Silver Can Motors, I thought I'd make a suggestion :shock:

One of our Friends/fellow Racers(Shane West)works in 'Dominoes' Toy Shop in Leicester, which is one of the Key Stockists for TAMIYA Products.
If the Club/Dale is intrested, I could have a word with Shane, to see if they could strike up Deal, for Dominoes to Supply a Batch of Std Silver Can Tamiya Motors, to HRCCC, for a Special Price.

Just a thought Guys! :D
Eddystone

Post by Eddystone »

Richie wrote:Look lads, I know I keep harping on, but who is going to want to pay £19.50 for a tamiya motor when a mardave silver can is £9 & OK it maybe is slightly faster but is it really that much different. Why don't you just allow Mardave motors ! Isn't this that simple. If this is all about fun then whats the big issue here with a Mardave motor.
Sorry Richie, The Quick Silver class is meant to be simple, cheap, and evenly matched racing. To do that we want to keep everyone with the same motor. Tamiya are the predominant car in the class so Tamiya 27T motor is the obvious motor. A stock Tamiya motor will cost roughly £7, nobody is going to need to pay anywhere near the RRP of £19.50 and most people have them already with the car kits they have. Why should everyone else have to buy a Mardave G2 if they want to be competing in this class? Within a very short time Tamiya 27T motors will be available to purchase from the club if anybody needs one. Dale has given the approval for the club to stock them and we are just sourcing a supply.

Hope that helps

Richard D.
Eddystone

Post by Eddystone »

Wacker1 wrote:Hi all,

I know I'm NOT a Racer in your RTR 'Quick Silver' Class, but after hearing some of your Comments regarding the Silver Can Motors, I thought I'd make a suggestion :shock:

One of our Friends/fellow Racers(Shane West)works in 'Dominoes' Toy Shop in Leicester, which is one of the Key Stockists for TAMIYA Products.
If the Club/Dale is intrested, I could have a word with Shane, to see if they could strike up Deal, for Dominoes to Supply a Batch of Std Silver Can Tamiya Motors, to HRCCC, for a Special Price.

Just a thought Guys! :D
Sounds a good idea to me Dean - James ( HailMing ) is looking into a source of motors so hang about for his response.

Richard
Hail Ming
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by Hail Ming »

Eddystone wrote:Sounds a good idea to me Dean - James ( HailMing ) is looking into a source of motors so hang about for his response.

Richard
And here it is...

Hi Dean, if you think he can provide them for about £6-7 each, then we'd certainly be interested.

Cheers for your input...

James
Richie
Name: Richard Wilson

Post by Richie »

OK Chaps, agreed
Hail Ming
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by Hail Ming »

Richie wrote:OK Chaps, agreed
Nice one Rich
Eddystone

Post by Eddystone »

Richie wrote:OK Chaps, agreed
Cheers Richie,
I'm looking forward to hopefully putting my car back into the A final with you next weekend. See you Saturday.
Richard D.
jayst
Name: jamie cheshire
Car: T D . 210,410.408

Post by jayst »

hi guys . i had a word with the geezer i got the the last lot of silver cans from . he said we could work a deal out if i order 10 or more . do u want me to get a final price ? and a price it would cost per motor ?
Hail Ming
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by Hail Ming »

Hi Jamie,

Yes please, the cheaper the better - Dean is also looking into a supply for us.

Cheers

James
jayst
Name: jamie cheshire
Car: T D . 210,410.408

Post by jayst »

ok . i foned the place i got the silver cans from and hes only got 2 in atm but 2 -3 weeks time he should have 10-15 .
the price per motor will work out at 6-7 pound each and they should be all the same spec motors .
let me know wot u wanna do ?
i have 1 spare atm myself which is run and ready for racing .
i could also run them in for people ?