Ready to Run
Hail Ming
Expert Member
Expert Member
Name: James Carroll
Car: MM & X2 Evo

Quick Silver - Tamiya & RTR Touring Car Thread

Post by Hail Ming »

I wanted to start a new thread for the Quick Silver class. Please post your comments, pics, set-ups, news etc. here.

As this is the first post, I thought I'd set the ball rolling...

Here's a pic of my Tamiya TT01 Type E http://www.tamiyaclub.com/pictureframe. ... 1524_1.jpg. The stickers have been produced locally (cheers Andy) and are available free to anyone running in the Quick Silver class.

The car is fitted with front and rear 3 Racing upper adjustable links (didn't have chance to set the camber for it's first meeting - but it seemed to handle OK). The kit gearing (19/61 pinion/spur - ratio of 8.35) is way to low for Hinckley. I tried 23/58 (ratio of 6.56) which was better, but I think a more suitable ratio will be around 5.5 - to get close to this you'll need at least a 25/55 pinion/spur combo. I was using a set of Sweep (Much More) 32R tyres (available from the club shop) which worked well provided you didn't put additive on the front - steering felt responsive through high and low speed corners. My alloy shocks hadn't arrived in time so I was using the kit friction dampers - these performed pretty well as an interim. I'm told 35wt oil all round is a good starting point for touring car shocks.

The TT01 Type E Club Car is now available for use (please e-mail Dale to book dale.knight@btconnect.com) - and will be adjusted to reflect the best set-up information available as the season progresses.
Last edited by Hail Ming on Wed Oct 07, 2009 9:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Try 'Quick Silver', the Amazing Silver Can Powered Touring Car Class at HRCCC
Eddystone
Name: Richard Dobson
Car: Tamiya TA05v2IFS

Re: Quick Silver - Tamiya & RTR Touring Car Thread

Post by Eddystone »

OK - here's a couple more of last Saturdays Quick Silver Racers - Firstly the Yellow Scooby I raced. Stock out of the box Tamiya TT-01 chassis - only "hop-up" was ballraces as the stock kits come with plastic bushes throughout the drivetrain. Hardly considered a hop-up in most peoples eyes. I'd cut the big Impreza rally wing down so it looked more in keeping with a road car. Ofcourse the wing is probably completely useless but it looks good to me! No idea of the gear ratios but it was running a 21T pinion and stock spur. I'll get the hang of ratios and the like eventually. Played about with tyres during the racing. First race was the stock kit supplied treaded tyres - worked OK but terrrible understeer. Next up were some Tamiya racing slicks - and I did worse than with the treads! Heat 3 tried some HPI 27R belted racing slicks which were a big improvement. For the final it was wearing some of Dales ex race tyres - a set of worn Sorex 28R I believe - the grip was something else again - seemed too much, can that be true? I was turning too soon for the corners as they were so responsive compared to everything tried prior. Anyway had a great afternoons racing - the car will be back and faster ( hopefully! ) next weekend.

The HailMing YellowGlo special was raced by newcomer to the club Andy. ( "Sedge" here on the forum ) - his first visit down to the club and he was happy enough to be given a chance of joining us racing. The car is a Tamiya Peugeot 406 TL-01 chassis. Bit of a retro racer itself - the car is probably 12 years old. It's had a make over for the "Quick Silver" racing. Out went the plastic bushings and mechanical speed controller to be replaced by ballraces and an ESC. Off with the stock fiction shocks and on with Tamiya oil shocks with 40wt oil in them. The original tyres were beyond bald so some Hot Laps racing slicks were fitted to some colour co-ordinating wheels. This cars now so bright you're gonna need shades to drive it!

Anyway Andy seemed to have a good time racing it, despite loosing a wheel in the final. The "Quick Silver" class looks like it's going to be good fun racing and allows newcomers to compete with average entry level touring cars. I think it'll be a great addition to the clubs race classes.

Dale
Expert Member
Expert Member
Name: Dale Knight
Car: TOP Photon

Post by Dale »

You guys are awsome!!

Silver is the future!

Regards Dale
stox217
Expert Member
Expert Member
Name: Nick
Car: V12

Post by stox217 »

Im playing in this class too
Got my self a tt01 running a aftermarket bodyshell from ebay been ball raced
If anybody has the steering bushing's for the alloy stearing lickages it would help and also a front shock tower as it has a homemade grp bodge job on it atm thank's also could i have a few sticker's :D
But i have a problem with my car after about 2/3 run's in the street i go to find the gear is striped?
Is it me or do the tamiya's have special dp gear's so do i have to run tamiya pinion's for my tt01 as its peeing me of now after going through the 61t and now the 58t ? i was running a 48dp 23t pinion? so it now leaves me so i cannot race it tomorow :evil:
Eddystone

Post by Eddystone »

Hi Nick, Tamiya TT-01s run what is known by Tamiya as "AV pitch", everybody else knows it as 0.6 module. Either way it's not quite 48dp ( infact it's 42.33dp ) which is why you've eaten up the gears. I've got a spare 61T spur you are welcome to have tomorrow to get you racing, I should be able to find you a suitable spare pinion gear as well. Don't want you missing out a race meeting now do we!

Richard
stox217
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by stox217 »

Aha so that why cheer's for the info i have orderd some new gear's and a 22 & 23 tamiya pinions
If you have a pinion that goes with a 55t gear for hinckley as i already have the 55t gear left
Last edited by stox217 on Fri Oct 09, 2009 6:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hail Ming
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by Hail Ming »

Hi Nick,

Glad you're having a go...I'd use the 55 spur with a 25 pinion if I was you.

Cheers

James
Eddystone

Post by Eddystone »

Nick , You need atleast a 25T pinion to work with the 55T spur. Anything smaller wont even reach the spur. At the moment the only 25T I've got is in my car. You are more than welcome to the 61T spur to get you racing - that'll take 19T to 22T pinions - there's a spare 21T sitting on the desk infront of me so that's easily found if you want to borrow it.

Richard
stox217
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by stox217 »

61t/21t sounds good to me see you tomorow
Eddystone

Post by Eddystone »

Ok - That's no problem - see you tomorrow.
Hail Ming
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by Hail Ming »

How cool was the Quick Silver class this week? I thoroughly enjoyed myself - cheers everyone. :D

The last leg of the final was really close between 2nd and 3rd and the rest of the pack wasn't far behind. It looks like this class is going to be producing some good racing and provide the ideal arena for newcomers to develop.

Here's some more feedback on car settings from today's meeting:

Gearing

25/55 gearing (overall ratio of 1:5.72) on the TT01 (and the equivalent on the other chassis types) was the right choice - the cars running this gearing looked much quicker this week. My motor was comfortably warm at the end of each race.

Cells

Didn't find any real advantage running LiPo cells over NiMH. This is encouraging as the focus is on car control rather than equipment.

Tyres

I found the Sweep (Much More) 32R tyres worked brilliantly for this class - especially as Tamiyas are slightly narrower (190mm) than regular touring cars. The harder tyre helped to prevent my narrow TT01 from grip-rolling and made the driving experience rewarding.

Settings

I remembered to adjust the camber for this meeting; -1.5 degrees on the rear and -0.5 degrees on the front. The car felt predictable and smooth.

Really looking forward to next week...

James
Dale
Expert Member
Expert Member
Name: Dale Knight
Car: TOP Photon

Post by Dale »

Hi Guys,

Just to confirm that the club has this week purchased a Tamiya and shall be providing a club car.

Also James, how are we witht he other club car you have very kindly donated?

Regards

Dale
Hail Ming
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by Hail Ming »

Hi Dale,

The other club car is all set-up and ready for use with the exception of a battery pack (I was going to use the one from the Club Cobra, but that's missing as you are aware). Therefore if there is anyone out there who is able to donate a battery pack (anything will do), we're good to go.

Cheers

James
Eddystone

Post by Eddystone »

Post race analysis ..... here we go. Turns out James was right to suggest the 25T pinion 55T spur gear hop-ups for the TT-01. The yellow Subaru Impreza "Scooby" was noticably much faster down the main straight this week. I also added a motor heat sink to it for this weeks racing, other that that it's still as stock. This is really encouraging as it appears a stock off-the shelf cheap Tamiya kit will be competitive in this class with just a few hop up extras. This car is still running friction dampers - no oil! Still experimenting with tyres - tried some well used Sorex 32s and some new Sweep 32s but no conclusion as my driving isn't consistant enough to tell! Only used this car in the first 2 heats as thanks to my spare parts eventually making through the Royal Mail this week I got the chance to run my old Tamiya TB-01 chassis. This is now known as "Scooby Too" as it's fitted with a Subaru Brat bodyshell same as my off-road retro racer. Idea was to bring the spirit of the retro racing indoors - looks pretty good to me too with the excellent Quick Silver stickers! The chassis itself is like a tank - very solid and heavy. The pick-up shell is quite low profile and lightweight. Together they seemed to handle well for another 10+ year old car. It was running a 24T pinion and 55T spur gear ( making a ratio of 5.96 - I found it in the manual! ) May take this up another pinion for next week as that will give it a ratio of 5.72 same as the TT-01s

Here's the two Scoobys together.

And here's two Quick Silver racers track side waiting to race. Pink one is Ellie's.
stox217
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by stox217 »

Hopefully nothing will come up next week and my pinion's and gear's will turn up :wink:
Where do you get your 24/25t pinion's from?