Ready to Run
Dann123
Average Member
Average Member
Name: Dann Kennell
Car: Cyclone MooreSpeed

Gearing Help needed

Post by Dann123 »

Hi guys, Have just bought a HB Cyclone WCE Moorespeed, and wanting to know what gearing would be best to use for quicksilver racing. Any help would be great,

I have managed to find a sheet with the gear ratios on, http://www.petitrc.com/reglages/hotbodi ... art16T.pdf

Cheers.
Hail Ming
Expert Member
Expert Member
Name: James Carroll
Car: MM & X2 Evo

Re: Gearing Help needed

Post by Hail Ming »

Hi Dann,

A good starting point in Quick SIlver is 5.5 FDR (Final Drive Ratio). The FDR is calculated by multiplying the transmission ratio (diff/pulley) by the ratio of spur to pinion. The equation is :study :

FDR = (diff/pulley) x (spur/pinion)

If you have a specific spur you want to use and need to find the pinion that will give you the closest gearing to the desired FDR, the equation is rearranged like this:

pinion = (spur x diff) / (FDR x pulley)

For example, my car uses 38T diff, 19T pulleys and I have a 78T spur; if I want the pinion that will give me the closest ratio to 5.5 FDR, the equation suggests:

pinion = (78 x 38) / (5.5 x 19)

= 28.36 (i.e. 28T pinion)

In the above example the actual FDR achieved is 5.57. However if I used a 77T spur, the FDR would be exactly 5.5. :n1

I'd start with ensuring you know what your transmission ratio is as this can be changed on the competition spec cars much easier than the likes of your TB02. I wouldn't assume it's the same as a gear chart you've found or the instruction manual - you'll need to physically check the car. Then, if you have a range of spur gears, find the combination of spur and pinion that will give you the closest FDR to 5.5. It may help if you create your own gear chart in MS Excel using the equations above.

I hope that helps - if not, find out the number of teeth on the diff and pulley and I'll create a chart for you.

Cheers

James
Try 'Quick Silver', the Amazing Silver Can Powered Touring Car Class at HRCCC
Eddystone
Name: Richard Dobson
Car: Tamiya TA05v2IFS

Post by Eddystone »

Hi Dann, Simplest way forward is....

Count the number of teeth on
a) The Spur Gear
b) The Centre Pulley
c) The Front Pulley and the Rear Pulley ( hopefully they are the same )

Then ask James what it all means.

Works for me!! :n1

Richard
Dann123
Average Member
Average Member

Post by Dann123 »

Haha cheers guys, I know how to look it up for the Tamiya TB02 as thats just spur and pinion... But ive never had a belt driven car, so I dont know much about the way that works and the pulley etc...

I shall hopefully have the new car with me on Saturday so I can have a little tinker and a play around with it then.
retro_ryan
Getting started
Getting started
Name: ryan

Post by retro_ryan »

First job is to find the number of teeth on the spur gear fitted and then the internal drive ratio of the car.
Wacker1
Expert Member
Expert Member
Name: Dean Gibbs(Wacker1)
Car: Yoke BD8 17. YZ-2CA

Post by Wacker1 »

Hi Dann,

Well Done for Buying a Hot Bodies Cyclone Moorespeed Edition! 8)

.......I'm on my 8th Hot Bodies Touring Car in a row, cause there Awesome! :D

From what I remember from when I ran a Moorespeed World Edition, it came with a 64dp 100T Spur Gear & 16T Pulleys as Standard, giving an Ratio of : 2.4375

So if your Car is running as Standard & your looking for a Reccommended 5.5 FDR for QuickSilver, then you'd be looking at 44 Pinion as a Starting point(providing that they can Mesh ok).
If they dont, then a change in Spur Gear would be required!
Dann123
Average Member
Average Member

Post by Dann123 »

Cheers guys,

Dean I was actually given your name as a contact to ask about the car. Would you mind if on Saturday I had a chat with you and a look at your car and how its setup? Just as a little insight into them. I shall get some parts ordered once I know what I need :D Looking forward to getting it on the track.