Ready to Run
Dann123
Average Member
Average Member
Name: Dann Kennell
Car: Cyclone MooreSpeed

Quicksilver setup - TA05

Post by Dann123 »

Whats the ideal gear ratio for the TA05... I think I have an idea of 26/70 or 72 pinion/spur but I am not entirely sure. Anyone want to share any knowledge?
Eddystone
Name: Richard Dobson
Car: Tamiya TA05v2IFS

Re: Quicksilver setup - TA05

Post by Eddystone »

Hi Dann,

I believe you have a stock version 1 TA-05. To calculate the FDR on that chassis divide the spur gear teeth by the pinion teeth and then multiply by 2.25. Your 26T/70T combination gives an FDR of 6.06 - still too high, and possibly wont fit in the car anyway. If you could fit in a 28T pinion you could get it down to an FDR of 5.62 with that spur gear. The club cars are running at an FDR of 5.72. Otherwise you're going to need a smaller spur gear. Tamiya part number 51423 is a 68T spur gear which should be a direct replacement. Teaming that up with a 26T pinion gives 5.88 and a 27T pinion 5.67.

Richard
Hail Ming
Expert Member
Expert Member
Name: James Carroll
Car: MM & X2 Evo

Post by Hail Ming »

Dann, if you 'juan a juin'? Then you must 'jclern about their juays' (read it as if you were Jack Black in Nacho Libre).

Not wishing to contradict Captain Club Car - but the TT01E should be running 5.5 FDR with the 25/55 pinion/spur combination (I think he's feeling threatened, hence the duff info).

I'd go for a slighter lower FDR - somewhere around 5.4 to 5.2 is optimal. Anything lower than this and the performance will tail off leaving your Johnson hot and dirty! I know from experience - and it's not something I'm proud of :oops:

James
Try 'Quick Silver', the Amazing Silver Can Powered Touring Car Class at HRCCC
Eddystone
Name: Richard Dobson
Car: Tamiya TA05v2IFS

Post by Eddystone »

If we're going to talk in funny accents then Au contraire mon ami Ming. Show me ze mathz that makez ze club car's FDR 5.5?

The internal ratio of a TT-01 drivetrain is 2.6. With a 55T spur and a 25T pinion that makes an FDR of 5.72. To get the FDR to 5.5 it would need a 26T pinion fitted - and the club cars haven't!

Saying that though if James recommends an FDR of 5.4 to 5.2 then I'm sure that part is good advice. In Dann's car with a hop-up 68T spur he could get an FDR of 5.46 with a 28T pinion or 5.23 with a 29T pinion - assuming they physically fits in the car. Other than that you'll either have to search out a smaller spur again or increase the belt pulley sizes to reduce the internal drive ratio.

Richard
Hail Ming
Expert Member
Expert Member
Name: James Carroll
Car: MM & X2 Evo

Post by Hail Ming »

D'oh :doh - you're quite correct Richard - I've just checked my gear chart - sorry :oops:

Dann, I'd go for the 28T pinion on the 68T spur - giving the 5.46 FDR - that should be pretty much spot on.

James
Try 'Quick Silver', the Amazing Silver Can Powered Touring Car Class at HRCCC
Dann123
Average Member
Average Member
Name: Dann Kennell
Car: Cyclone MooreSpeed

Post by Dann123 »

Thanks both for the input and help, very much appreciated.
x.shell.x
Name: Michelle Griffin

Post by x.shell.x »

hello, thanks for the input, ive bought the parts.

does anyone know where you can find the setup stuff for a ta05 for the wheels and whether they tow in or out?