Need More Front Grip On V12 Help

Swap, share and discuss setups
MeBeMikey
Name: Michael J.
Car: Xray T3 2011 spec

Need More Front Grip On V12 Help

Post by MeBeMikey »

I am running Jap Med fronts at the moment but I am looking for a softer tyre to get a tad more grip....not so much that I flip in the tight turns. Can someone pass on to me which tyres I should get to attain a little more grip. I have been doing quite well in Leamington over the past 2 meets by making 1st in all qualifiers and 1st in both weeks A-Mains but it seems I have the speed but just the lack of that little bit of extra grip in the turns. :roll:

Thanks!

PS: Your tyre choice secret is safe with me if you PM me...LOL....but seriously, it will be.
Xray T3 2012 spec: Tekin RS, Futaba BLS551, Orion and MooreSpeed lipos
Associated B4 w/X6 conversion and B44
Spektrum DX3r
WARRENRYAN
I'm not a brummie I'm a Yam Yam!
Name: WARRENRYAN

Re: Need More Front Grip On V12 Help

Post by WARRENRYAN »

Getting the grip just right for differant types of club carpets is a must. The problem you dont want is to much grip on the front end so it keeps chucking you over on every bend. The choice i use and i think many other drivers use aswell is ...softs on the rear and medium on the fronts. Sometimes what you might find is, what you might think is medium could be a soft. So allways make sure its the tyres you want!
1)Try sanding down the edge of the front tyres which can dig in at the corners. :)
2)put adhesive FULL on the rear and HARF on the inside on the fronts. :lol:
3)make sure you havent packed the pod under each side to much. stopping it from moving. :oops:
4)your rear springs could be tighten down to much. :evil: you only need about (6) turns down.
these are some of the things you could run through to make it run right.
MeBeMikey
Name: Michael J.
Car: Xray T3 2011 spec

Post by MeBeMikey »

Thanks for that information. But 'pack the pod'? Are you talking about putting a little bit of sponge between the pod and the chassis?

Thanks
Xray T3 2012 spec: Tekin RS, Futaba BLS551, Orion and MooreSpeed lipos
Associated B4 w/X6 conversion and B44
Spektrum DX3r
WARRENRYAN
I'm not a brummie I'm a Yam Yam!
Name: WARRENRYAN

Post by WARRENRYAN »

Yes. packing the motor pod to much means you are stopping it moving to side to side making the rear of the car solid. Two weeks ago i placed 2 bits of small foam under each side of the pod to try and tack out some of the sagyness of the pod. But what i did was put to much under the pod making it stiff? So when my lad was going around every corner it was spinning around. Which can get you thinking NO rear grip? when really it could be your pod. You only want a small bit of foam under each side.
Wacker1
Expert Member
Expert Member
Name: Dean Gibbs(Wacker1)
Car: Yoke BD8 17. YZ-2CA

Post by Wacker1 »

Hi there,

I would recommend using Mardave V54P Tyres on the Rear & JAP 44's Tyres on the Front, as this will give you plenty of Front end grip, without making your Car 'spin out' or 'griproll'..............you'll also find that you'll be able to run full Additive allround. Truing down the Tyres to around 52mm also helps!
I've tried placing some small amounts of Foam under the Rear Pod, but ALWAYS found it to make the Car 'spin out' on high speed corners........I personally would'nt bother with that idea!
The Softer Rear Springs seem to be the best option, but make sure that there not tightened down too far.......have around 1mm droop on the Rear Pod! Also check the Tweak with some Coins, cause if its not set properly, you'll probably find that the Car spins out one way!
Its generally a good idea to Oil or Grease the Front Kingpins, to keep the Front Springs nice & free, as they can sometimes stick, which can cause problems! :?

I hope that helps :D