Mardave setup ......make your Mardave a bit faster

Swap, share and discuss setups
Conor Steptoe

Post by Conor Steptoe »

cleaning your axle and bearings makes a big difference
z finlay

Post by z finlay »

you will also find that cleaning your motor thoroughly makes a big difference to.
:):D8)
IBEXMotorsport
Experienced Member
Experienced Member
Name: Rich Pacey
Car: Schu Mi5 / Supastox

Post by IBEXMotorsport »

Tyres, should not be used to make a car handle (and therfore "Quicker". As I showed Tim on Saturday, the xhassis should be set up and the balance fof the car controlled thus.

Tyres, oddly, as most of the time, theyu are one of the most important elemwents, are actually not that important on MARDAVES.
The onlty criteria to contend with is to ensure that the tyres are as near as damn it the same diameter. This is it, DO NOT do anything to one, that you dont do to the other three.

If your car does not handle, check the tyres are all the same, then look at the chassis dynamics.

RP
Rich Pacey
Warr

Post by Warr »

Sorry Pacey. - Your talking out of your posterior.

If you want to see how much difference tyres make. - look at my lap times from 2 weeks ago when I only had various combinations of "wrong" tyres available.
Admittedly I had other problems, but I qualified in the C and my fastest lap wouldn't have touched the A.

Last week wasn't spot on, but with changes to the tyres and nothing else. I was a comfortable 3rd overall, and I think 2nd fastest on best laps.

Tyres make a very big difference.

I'd also put forward a case for running smaller fronts than rear tyres. - The only advantage to making them the same diameter is that they are easier to swap between front and rear if you need to.
IBEXMotorsport
Experienced Member
Experienced Member
Name: Rich Pacey
Car: Schu Mi5 / Supastox

Post by IBEXMotorsport »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Warr</i>
<br />Sorry Pacey. - Your talking out of your posterior.

If you want to see how much difference tyres make. - look at my lap times from 2 weeks ago when I only had various combinations of "wrong" tyres available.
Admittedly I had other problems, but I qualified in the C and my fastest lap wouldn't have touched the A.

Last week wasn't spot on, but with changes to the tyres and nothing else. I was a comfortable 3rd overall, and I think 2nd fastest on best laps.

Tyres make a very big difference.

I'd also put forward a case for running smaller fronts than rear tyres. - The only advantage to making them the same diameter is that they are easier to swap between front and rear if you need to.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

I didn't quite mean tyres can be c**p and you will still get good lap times, what I ment was, tyres should not be used to correct an inbalance in the chassis.

I agree that if you are on the "wrong tryes" you will not be in contention.

Tyres do matter, but chassis is more important.

(It was late when I posted previously mind you)
Rich Pacey
Mr.V.
Name: JimiHamster

Re: Mardave setup ......make your Mardave a bit faster

Post by Mr.V. »

We have found that if you run the motor in with a mix of metal polish and motor cleaner on the oilite bushes - then flush out the motor thoroughly with plain motor cleaner, before using it, this stops the bush getting hot at around 4 minutes, which is roughly when the oilite expands and slightly restricts the armature from spinning freely !
I'm sure you have all experienced the car running slower after 4 minutes ! Try This method, it worked for us ! ! :wink:
Mark Stiles
Name: Mark Stiles

Re:

Post by Mark Stiles »

IBEXMotorsport wrote:Tyres, should not be used to make a car handle (and therfore "Quicker". As I showed Tim on Saturday, the xhassis should be set up and the balance fof the car controlled thus.

Tyres, oddly, as most of the time, theyu are one of the most important elemwents, are actually not that important on MARDAVES.
The onlty criteria to contend with is to ensure that the tyres are as near as damn it the same diameter. This is it, DO NOT do anything to one, that you dont do to the other three.

If your car does not handle, check the tyres are all the same, then look at the chassis dynamics.

RP
I agree with Warr; tyres are absolutely everything on these cars!

Given the fact that you cant really adjust much else, its all about getting the right compounds and diameters to achieve a good balance. When I raced these little cars on a weekly basis (on a circuit I might add), I changed nothing on the car except the tyres when they wore out.

Without sounding too big headed (;)), nobody could touch me ( I used to turn 32 lappers when the 2nd placed guy could just about manage a 31). The only way it was possible for anyone to stay with me was if they put my tyres on their car...
4_cell_racer
Getting started
Getting started
Name: Lee

Re: Re:

Post by 4_cell_racer »

Mark Stiles wrote: Without sounding too big headed (;)), nobody could touch me ( I used to turn 32 lappers when the 2nd placed guy could just about manage a 31). The only way it was possible for anyone to stay with me was if they put my tyres on their car...
Mark I would say that was pretty close racing if 2nd place guy was only a lap down :D

I do have to agree about the tires though........why would anyone run the same diameter front and rear when 9 times out of 10 the fronts are gonna be a harder compound, which would never be used on the rear anyway!!! :roll:
Mark Stiles
Name: Mark Stiles

Re: Re:

Post by Mark Stiles »

4_cell_racer wrote:
Mark Stiles wrote:
Mark I would say that was pretty close racing if 2nd place guy was only a lap down :D
With lap times in the 10 second region its a fairly big gap, especially considering the closeness of the top ten at the GP...

It seems I've lost my touch with these cars though; more practice required for next year I think!