Using Dual Thrust Bearings

Swap, share and discuss setups
MeBeMikey
Name: Michael J.
Car: Xray T3 2011 spec

Using Dual Thrust Bearings

Post by MeBeMikey »

Just curious as I have trouble with getting my diff to feel perrrrfectly smooth like others. Would running two thrust bearings on top of eachother smooth out a diff in any way? I cannot seem to find carbide or ceramic thrust bearings for my Tamiya TA05. If you know of any...the stock part for my thrust bearing is Tamiya part number 620 or TAM9949300. Oh, by the way I already run ceramic diff balls. Thanks.

Michael
Team BritUS

PS: Any set up ideas would be great as I have heard about smoothing out the diff plates with some kinda sandpaper or something but not sure exactly what to do or what kinda sandpaper to get.
Last edited by MeBeMikey on Tue Feb 23, 2010 12:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Xray T3 2012 spec: Tekin RS, Futaba BLS551, Orion and MooreSpeed lipos
Associated B4 w/X6 conversion and B44
Spektrum DX3r
jayst
Name: jamie cheshire
Car: T D . 210,410.408

Re: Using Dual Thrust Bearings

Post by jayst »

are ur thrust all in 1 m8 ? the tamiya 2x6mm thrust shud work . come and see on saturday m8 i will have some on me

u want 600 wet and dry paper m8 for refacing ur diff plates
MeBeMikey

Post by MeBeMikey »

Thanks for the quick reply. Will get that wet sandpaper. The thrust bearings I have are practically brand new ones. Just thought I would try doubling them up for more surface ball area for less friction as the squeeze would be spread amonst more balls. Not sure it it works though since all the balls are not on one layer. I think the ones you mention are the same but would really like carbide or preferably ceramic.

Thanks
Michael
Spektrum DX3r
jayst

Post by jayst »

ive been tryin to get ceramic 2day but i cant find em anywhere . 2 thrusts wudn't work . well i dont think it wud plus ur diff bolt wudnt be long enuff and wud rub on the driveshaft . do u run diff covers ?
or it just needs rebuilding every meeting
MeBeMikey

Post by MeBeMikey »

Yep you are right about running dual thrust bearings...it will hit the axle. Oh, well...

No diff covers. Just rebuild after every meeting. Probably should do during the meeting too. Gota link for those diff covers. I have TAM49472 diff pulley. If you look at that, the dif joints on each side fit snugly into the pulley. I did notice my dif getting dirty through the race meeting and my back end kept on coming out.
Spektrum DX3r
jayst

Post by jayst »

hi mikey . come and see me saturday i have some diff covers
MeBeMikey

Post by MeBeMikey »

I have rebuilt my diffs and doing that sandpaper has solved my problem. Thanks so much for that advice. Now they run smooth and I can tighten them up quite a bit and the diff still runs smooth with no slippage. Not to mention the ceramic thrust bearings and diff balls made a huge difference l too. Item# TOP PO-PTB602C (thrust bearing) on one of those web sites we talked about...still in stock. Cannot remember if you got it already.

Hey, those diff covers. I solved that issue you had today. I made lexan covers that were slightly smaller in outer diameter but smaller in the center than the sticker covers. They do not stick to the outdrives at all and the lexan just touches the outdrives. I think they will work perfectly and they will be able to be used over and over again and they are easy to make. No more rebuilds during the day. I will show you weds night. Hope that helps yah.

Michael
Spektrum DX3r
MeBeMikey

Post by MeBeMikey »

Used 600 grit first and put the diff together...it was very smooth...but now I have done 1500 grit and really gave it a good smoothing out and now they feel even smoother. Looking forward to seeing how it works on the track saturday. First time with a diff that will firstly STAY CLEAN and finally smooth. I wonder what that will do to the handling characteristics of my car. Maybe more stearing? Which is what I would like to have.

M
Spektrum DX3r