Wacker1
Expert Member
Expert Member
Name: Dean Gibbs(Wacker1)
Car: Yoke BD8 17. YZ-2CA

HINCKLEY CLUBS BUGGY MEETING THIS SATURDAY - 28TH APRIL

Post by Wacker1 »

Hi all,

After a brief Technical Hitch with the Hinckley Clubs 1st Outdoor Buggy Meeting the other week & the Confusion of the Weather for the 2nd Meeting that was Cancelled last Saturday, a few of us, including the Club Chairman, thought it would be a good Idea if we Started a Thread on Racers/Members thoughts on Improving this Summers OffRoad Buggy Season!

As many of you already know, HRCCC's Container was Moved to its New Location last Tuesday, allowing us from this Saturday onwards, to be able to use the Proper Rostrum thats ontop of it, therefore great Visability of the Track again!
Now the Container is Trackside, this also means that it makes life alot Easier for Setting Up & Packing Away the Track Markings & Ramps etc!

..........saying that, it still needs as many of its Members/Racers to chip in & HELP Build the Track at the Beginning of the day - the Quicker this is Done, the Quicker you can all get your Cars on the Track for a(Longer)Practice Session!
Obviously, its just as Important for everyone to work Together & get the Track Packed Away at the end of the day too!

It would be nice to hear from some of you, to say that your Prepared to do this?

I know that there was a Printer issue on the 1st week, but I've been told that its been Rectified for this Saturdays Meeting. The Grass also needed Cutting, but that will also be sorted for this Weekends Buggy Meeting!

As for last Saturdays Cancellation, does anyone think that we should have a DEADLINE(i.e 10.45am)that a Commitee Member Posts up on the HRCCC News/Forum, on the Morning of the Expected Club Meeting, for a Final Decision on whether to Race or not, if the Weather is Bad/Unpredictable?
10.45am is only an Example, but it would be quite an accurate Time, while still giving Racers atleast 1 Hour 30mins to get there + Racers running abit Late, could always Text/Call other Racers to Book them in - After all, our Meetings dont actually Start til 1pm!

The other Main issue, that many have already talked about, is the current HRCCC Buggy Calendar - after April, it shows that we Race every other Saturday. I know many that are'nt happy about this, not only because it breaks everyones Routine of weekly Racing, but because its Outdoor Racing, the Weather is in Control!
If the Demand is there for Racing every week(& I'm sure it is!), then we can Vote to Amend the Club Calendar to weekly Racing! Atleast then, if some of the Meetings end up getting 'Rained Off', most Racers wont feel so cheated about missing a few!
I know that some people have been worried on whether the Grass will hold up for weekly Racing, but I'm sure that we can Accommodate this by Moving the Track around abit, or even to the side on some weeks - it would just mean using the Wooden Stools as a Rostrum, on those weeks, but we've done that before & its never been a problem!

Please Post your Thoughts on all this, as well as any Ideas on how you think we can Improve, making it evenmore Enjoyable for everyone involved!

We can then Discuss all the Points from here, in a 'Drivers Briefing' at the Start of this Saturdays Club Meeting & come to a Conclusion that makes everyone involved happy! 8)

Looking forward to hearing from as many of you as possible! :D
Wacker2
Name: Jon Seals(Wacker2)
Car: TLR 22

Re: HINCKLEY CLUBS BUGGY MEETING THIS SATURDAY - 28TH APRIL

Post by Wacker2 »

All good mace... Mark is dropping the Laptop and new Printer round to me mid week so all software/drivers will be installed and all in full working order, making sure all will be 100% by Saturday.

As all will know I have my back issues so track building will be tricky for me... but I've already discussed with Mark Stevens that I get more involved with race control (setting up and running etc) so I'll be doing my bit but in a different way! :D

Weather for Hinckley on Saturday is looking ok
... and for those doing regional at Ledbury on Sunday the weather keeps improving each day I look

Jon!
DazLee
Experienced Member
Experienced Member
Name: Darren Lee

Post by DazLee »

Can anyone confirm if the stairs have been re-fitted to the container as I have been advised that they haven't as yet???
Any ideas on how we will do this? They are not light!!!
Thanks
Da
Wacker2
Name: Jon Seals(Wacker2)
Car: TLR 22

Post by Wacker2 »

DazLee wrote:Can anyone confirm if the stairs have been re-fitted to the container as I have been advised that they haven't as yet???
Any ideas on how we will do this? They are not light!!!
Thanks
Da
As far as I'm aware Daz, the stairs have not been re-installed to the container as of yet.

We are going to have to rely on man power on Saturday before the meeting to get this back in place so if as many as possible can get there a wee bit earlier to help with this it would help a great deal.

I'm also hoping that the tractor of a man Mr Justin (superstar) Baker may make a guest appearance to offer his muscular experteze! I beleive Dean is in contact with him to try and get him down there saturday morning, as he was key to installing the stairs last year.

Quick weather update - today has been pants, LOL! but lookiing at the http://www.metcheck.com weather forecast we can expect massive improvements by Saturday. :D I'm not suggesting you should rush out and stock up on sun cream, but a dry day is definitely on the cards meaning a great days racing is to be had.

For those racing at the Ledbury regional on the Sunday - there may be rain early on but clearing up nicely for the finals!

I've spoken to Mark Stevens today who has been in touch with the Rugby club to chase up the cutting of grass situation... and I'm glad to report that the grass was cut yesterday. The rugby club know that the grass being cut is a weekly requirement of ours so there should be no future issues regarding this.

The club has purchased a new printer to enable race control to run as smoothly as possible from now on... Mark is working hard to get the laptop and the printer together to me over the next day or two so that I can ensure all is fully functional before the meeting on saturday.

*** PLEASE READ ***
I've got to say that I'm a little surprised that nobody else has responded to this post.

We all know that the first week didn't run as smoothly as it could have - but it was the first meeting of the year and there are bound to be teething problems that need ironing out. There has been a lot of work carried out behind the scenes to improve on this and to ensure things run smoothly going forward throughout the 2012 season.

We all know that last week the meeting was called off too early - meaning there was no racing whilst the day was mostly dry... again we are trying hard to ensure that these types of issues dont re-occur which is why we're asking for your opinions and help.

A lot of people were very keen to voice their negative comments over recent events - but Dean kindly posted this thread to give you (the club members) an opertunity to voice your posiive comments, thoughts and idea's so that we know what we need to cover in our drivers briefing at our next HRCCC meeting this saturday.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE post your comments - whether you agree or disagree with whats been said, or with any ideas you may have to improve the HRCCC buggy season.

Lets make it another great year of buggy racing - its our club afterall! :n1
DazLee
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by DazLee »

Sounds like a plan.
Sadly, I know how heavy those steps are, and how poorly supported the platform for the steps is as we were 'not allowed' to put in some diagonal cantilever supports!!!
I therefore will not be helping put the steps in place. especially with the ground for the legs to sit on being so soft with all the rain.
Finally, whilst I don't want to speak for others, Justin has advised me that he will be unable to help due to a bad back.
I will however be there, weather permitting to help with the track and in any other ways required to help out the club.
Thanks
Daz
Ben Cosgrove
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by Ben Cosgrove »

Surely keeping the steps attached or making sure they are attached would have been a pre requisite to moving the container???

We as a club spent ALOT of money on this move to the site and with the rostrum etc.

Hopefully this little bit of a blip can be rectified and the club can start to make money to keep it going in to the future.

Does anyone think it would be best to cancel the meetings until the track/facility is actually ready?

Better to make customers wait than disappoint them as they may not come back.
HPI/Hot Bodies/Maverick/Merlin/Optifuel/GM/Muchmore UK/CustomBlitz/Hudy
DazLee
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by DazLee »

Ben,
The steps needed to be removed in order for the container to be moved. Otherwise we would have had the weigth of the steps supported on just the platform at the top of the steps.

This platform is only welded in position at the seam / join. (Not bolted as we were not allowed).
It therefore relies on the vertical legs for support. We (Myself and Greg the welder from work) planned to install some diagonal 50x50 box section supports to the underside of the platform down to the box section around the base of the container so that it was 'self supporting' and we didnt have to rely on the vertical legs on potentially soft grass!

We met some opposition on this which resulted in heated exchanges and arguments....and as we were doing this to help the club and in our own time decided that if people wanted to make it difficult we simply wouldnt do it!!!!

Anyway, back to the main point.............
The legs need top be installed first......THIS IS A MUST!!!!!
I would also recommend that these are set down on concrete slabs or one of the old sleepers to spread the load on the soggy ground.
The steps then need lifting into place and bolting securely.
With enough people the weight is not an issue, the height 9ft-10ft is a problem.
It is difficult to hold that weight steady at 2ft-3ft whilst someone fits and tightens bolts.......but at that height, and as we found last year......without Justin 'Geoff Capes' Baker virtually impossible.

Can anyone get access to lifting equipment??? Telehandler?? Forklift?? Genie Lift??

I can have a word with some of the guys at work that may be able to come down with a telehandler / all terrain forklift but this will not be free.....although I suspect we are talking in £10's rather than £100's.

I have been out and bought a complete buggy setup and enough tyres to last a season........I want this up and running as much as anyone but it NEEDS ORGANISING, otherwise everyone will just turn up and stand around scratching their a@@'s like a couple of weeks ago!!!

Thanks
Daz
Eddystone
Name: Richard Dobson
Car: Tamiya TA05v2IFS

Post by Eddystone »

As Daz has said the steps should NOT be manhandled into position. It's just not going to be safe however many people are involved. The weight and height of the lift requires proper lifting equipment to be done safely. Also the unsupported platform needs supporting ASAP - can we get the legs put into position safely manually without lifting gear?

I have no control of the clubs money but if the price is reasonable I'd suggest it may be a good use of funds to pay Daz's lifting equipment contacts from the proceeds of this weeks racing which hopefully can then go ahead if the rostrum has been rebuilt. If there's no racing there's no money coming in anyway.

Richard
keithm
Average Member
Average Member
Name: Keith Marson
Car: superstock,BMax2+4

Post by keithm »

Hi just to update you all i was down to the club last Sunday and laid 2 slabs to support the legs,I am going down again on Friday to finish the job.I have bolted the posts at there base to the slabs so there is less movement and they should be more secure.We also have 2 more slabs to put down at the base of the stairs,these can not be done untill we know the postion that they will be in.With enough bodies we should be able to put the stairs back in postion.Keith.
DazLee
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by DazLee »

Good Morning All,

Looking at the weather forecast for the weekend, It appears as though there is no panic to get the stairs in place.!!

Anyway, I have made some enquiries and contacted Mark Stevens and we have arranged a plan 'A' and a plan 'B'.

Plan A is;
A friend of mine has a Land Rover with a 3t Winch attached. We are hoping that tonight we can go down to the rugby club and use a couple of bodies and a winch together with some 'sliders' I am having made at work for the cable to run against (To prevent damage to the container / platform) to lift the steps into place. All being well, this will only cost us as a club the price of a few beers and a few £'s diesel. (Leicester area to rugby club and back)

Plan B is;
If Plan A doesnt appear as though its going to work for whatever reason...we move on to plan B. And bring in the heavy machinery!!!!

One of my colleagues at work has arranged (if we need it) a tractor and a lifting device on the front and a driver for said device. (I imagine tele-handler / digger type device)
As long as I notify him by this evening, he can be down to meet some of us at around 9am tomorrow morning (Saturday) to lift the stairs into place for us. Hopefully all done before racers start to arrive.
The last thing you want if new members arrive is for them to witness our club still trying to build the rostrum...3 weeks after our season has started!!! A Massive put off / image of disorganisation for our club which is a great club and can still have a great outdoor season!!!
Anyway, This sadly will be slightly more expensive. This looks as though it will be (Around £20 for Diesel) + £50 for his time as he will have to drive 30-40 mins each way + time to arrange and safely lift the stairs.

I am going to be phoning my friend this afternoon to arrange a time to be at the rugby club and will then contact Mark Stevens who will meet us there with the container key and sort out opening the gates.

If a couple of others want to meet us there to help / assist with steadying stuff and moving the steps from the container to the rough location that would be great. Keep an eye on here and I will post a time.

Thanks
Daz
DazLee
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by DazLee »

Hi All,
Aiming to be down the rugby club around 6.30pm....Weather permitting!!!

Before any sarcastic comments fly this way........YES...I am basically made of sugar and will melt if it rains!

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks
Daz
dogpinkscot
Name: Justin
Car: Atomic S2 Mega Dave

Post by dogpinkscot »

Well done Daz
Eddystone
Name: Richard Dobson
Car: Tamiya TA05v2IFS

Post by Eddystone »

No sign of a 10.45 racing weather update then. Do we assume racing is on?
lapster
Average Member
Average Member
Name: andy lappin

Post by lapster »

hi

is the meeting on 2day ????

andy
lordy4516
Getting started
Getting started