Racing this saturday?

The Ginger Ninja
Getting started
Getting started
Name: Charlie Ware
Car: xray T3/Xray X11

Racing this saturday?

Post by The Ginger Ninja »

hi all, i'm going to be racing 1/12th this saturday, who else is going?

thanks,
charlie
overson
Average Member
Average Member
Name: neil overson
Car: Xrayn 009/crc Gen lx

Re: Racing this saturday?

Post by overson »

Hi Charlie.
Ive just got my lipo for my 12th car going to give it a go this sat.
Not sure how to gear.
runing 10.5 LRP motor, rear tyres 52mm and a 69T 48DP spur any advice on what pinion to use. :lol:
Thanks Neil.
Fusion Hobbies.
xray 009/ 10.5
CRC XL/ 10.5
Concept Racing
Experienced Member
Experienced Member
Name: Eric Wilcock
Car: XB8TQ, HB C12

Post by Concept Racing »

Check out the Tech chart from the CARS/AMC GP for an idea of gearing for Lipo, some of the guys on the list are using Lipo and will give a good rollout ratio to get the gearing right, also best use 64DP for a finer adjustment on 12th car, the 2 guys that use Lipo seem to be around 38/37mm per rev

rollout chart
http://www.carsrcracing.co.uk/?page_id=33

Tech Chart
http://www.carsrcracing.co.uk/wp-conten ... hchart.pdf
The Ginger Ninja
Getting started
Getting started
Name: Charlie Ware
Car: xray T3/Xray X11

Post by The Ginger Ninja »

overson wrote:Hi Charlie.
Ive just got my lipo for my 12th car going to give it a go this sat.
Not sure how to gear.
runing 10.5 LRP motor, rear tyres 52mm and a 69T 48DP spur any advice on what pinion to use. :lol:
Thanks Neil.

Hi Neil,
I'm not sure if there's a difference between a LiPo and a 4.8V Nimhs.
You might want to have a quick word with Jon Seals on saturday as he's also running a LiPo.
Does the servo operate properly at 3.7 volts?
Or do you need a voltage booster?

thanks,
charlie
overson
Average Member
Average Member
Name: neil overson
Car: Xrayn 009/crc Gen lx

Post by overson »

Hi Neil,
You might want to have a quick word with Jon Seals on saturday as he's also running a LiPo.
Or do you need a voltage Booster

Hi Charlie.
Been running the car up and down the drive and it steers fine
using a spektrum voltage protector for the receiver.
not sure how good the lipo's are lacking a bit of punch but will find out on saturday.
when i get the gearing sorted out.
Neil.
Fusion Hobbies.
xray 009/ 10.5
CRC XL/ 10.5
Wacker2
Name: Jon Seals(Wacker2)
Car: TLR 22

Post by Wacker2 »

overson wrote:Hi Neil,
Or do you need a voltage Booster

Hi Charlie.
Been running the car up and down the drive and it steers fine
using a spektrum voltage protector for the receiver.
not sure how good the lipo's are lacking a bit of punch but will find out on saturday.
when i get the gearing sorted out.
Neil.
Hi guys... I'm afraid I shant be running my 1/12th tomorrow as I have decided to give Touring car's another go (now that I've got a car that seems to handle!)

However, to answer some of your questions... now remember I'm no lipo expert as I only ran it for 2 weeks!

As far as the gearing is concerned you want to be running a roll out from about 58 - 65 with a lipo. This is higher than you would need to use with NIMH cells but the Lipo's should give alot more punch and so by gearing lipo run cars higher will provide you with the top end but still maintain competitive punch - you will adjust within the roll out range depending on the size and style of the track. I ran a roll out of approx 60 when I ran it last at hinckley which was good but I could have done with going up a wee bit as I still suffered alittle down the straight compared to some of the other cars. I dont know what Lipo cell you have but I had one of the better ones: an SMC 50c lipo so again you'll have to adjust your gearing to suit the battery you are using.

You can see from the above roll out chart I have done for you that for 52mm tyres and a 69 tooth spur gear, you will want to be running approx 25 tooth pinion in order to give you the roll out of 60. You can then mess around from there to get an exact gearing to suit your needs... I'd expect you to be using pinions ranging from 24 - 28 tooth.

If you have a link 1/12th car then the SMC lipo I have will fit it in perfectly, and I am looking at selling some of my kit so come and see me tomorrow if you're interested.

Regarding the radio gear question and the voltage reduction: I ran a novak voltage booster unit (which I will also be looking at selling) which is what you will need in order to prevent any chance of your receiver/servo failing due to voltage dropping too low! again, depending on the Lipo cell you are running will in my opinion depend on whether you will need to use one or not. I think if you are ever going to be running 8 minute races like 1/12th cars should do, then you will definately need one regardless of what battery you are using due to the longer run time - however if you are only running 5 minute races like we do at HRCCC, and have a good lipo then I reckon you may be able to get away without running a voltage booster unit.
Whilst I say this I never tried mine without it turned on and so this is just my opinion.

Feel free to come over and say hello if you need any help and I will do my best to assist.

Cheers, Jon!

Incidentally whilst I'm at it I may aswell state what I'm gonna be selling:

Calandra Generation XL (very latest model) raced for just 4 meetings - cost £149.99 new with receipt to prove purchase only a month or so ago. Comes with 2 sets of tyres (grey rear foams and purple front foams) and 2 bodyshells (parma zytec and the very latest BRCA legal bodyshell the protoform AMR-12)
Would be looking to sell at approx £120

Novak Booster Unit, one of the best you can get - I cant remember how much I paid for that but again it is only about a month old with receipt to prove!

SMC 50c Lipo, one of the most competive 3.7v lipos designed especially for 1/12th racing. bought for £60 with receipts to prove and again only a month old.
Would be looking to sell at approx £45

Savox Mini Servo, perfect for competitive 1/12th racing. Bought from Eric @ Concept racing... I do not have receipts but he will vouch for me having bought it about a month ago. From memory I beleive it was £44.99 but again I'm sure Eric will correct me if i'm slightly out
Would be looking to sell at approx £35
Wacker2
Name: Jon Seals(Wacker2)
Car: TLR 22

Post by Wacker2 »

Wacker2 wrote:

Incidentally whilst I'm at it I may aswell state what I'm gonna be selling:

Calandra Generation XL (very latest model) raced for just 4 meetings - cost £149.99 new with receipt to prove purchase only a month or so ago. Comes with 2 sets of tyres (grey rear foams and purple front foams) and 2 bodyshells (parma zytec and the very latest BRCA legal bodyshell the protoform AMR-12)
Would be looking to sell at approx £120

Novak Booster Unit, one of the best you can get - I cant remember how much I paid for that but again it is only about a month old with receipt to prove!

SMC 50c Lipo, one of the most competive 3.7v lipos designed especially for 1/12th racing. bought for £60 with receipts to prove and again only a month old.
Would be looking to sell at approx £45

Savox Mini Servo, perfect for competitive 1/12th racing. Bought from Eric @ Concept racing... I do not have receipts but he will vouch for me having bought it about a month ago. From memory I beleive it was £44.99 but again I'm sure Eric will correct me if i'm slightly out
Would be looking to sell at approx £35

*** ALL PARTS NOW SOLD ***