2010 MARDAVE RULES AT HRCCC

Richie
Name: Richard Wilson

Re: 2010 MARDAVE RULES AT HRCCC

Post by Richie »

Hi Paul, thankyou for your responce, I was interested in how the Saturn 20c would have run with a 1C lipo in comparison to a G2 on 4 cell niml. Has anyone at your club tried this arrangement ?

My view is that if the motor outputs can be made to be comparible, I feel we only need one championship.
Wacker1
Expert Member
Expert Member
Name: Dean Gibbs(Wacker1)
Car: Yoke BD8 17. YZ-2CA

Post by Wacker1 »

Hi Dale,

No, I'm not talking about a Removal of the Mardave Modified Class(with Mardaves own 'Sensorless' Brushless System)........if theres enough Racers wishing to Enter this Class, that can make up a Heat on a Regular basis, I dont see that being a problem! :D

What I am saying is that the Standard Mardave Class(thats currently running the 'Brushed' G2 & NiMh Batteries), could do with abit of an Overhaul on the Rules, to bring back the 'Dismayed' Racers, after being so frustrated with the Poor Performance, Short Life Expectancy & Unreliability of the G2 Brushed Motor!

It just makes more sense to make good use of Todays Technology(1s Lipo Pack & 13.5T Sensored Brushless System), rather than desperately trying to find an Alternative 'Brushed' Motor, to the Mardave G2.

After speaking to many Racers, all they want to do is Charge their Battery up, put their Car down on the Track & have Fun Racing, knowing that their Car will Perform exactly the same as everyone elses, week in week out........the 1s Lipo & Brushless 13.5T fits the bill perfectly! 8)

Going in this direction, would mean NO more hassles of Discharging & Equalizing your Batteries(which is what you have to do, to get the best out of NiMh Cells), & not having to spend £8.95 every few weeks on a G2 Motor, which you have to mess around in all kinds of ways, of 'Running in', to Improve its Performance.......which sometimes does'nt work, therefore you end up Buying another! :cry:

NiMh/Brushed G2 & 1s Lipo/13.5T Brushless have proved to be comparative on Performance, so it would be ideal for them to be in the One Class/Championship.........Racers can then decide in their own time, whether they want to stick with the G2 Brushed, or Upgrade to the 13.5T Brushless Technology, which gives Consistant Performance, virtually No Maintainance & being Cheaper in the long run! :D

Hi Paul,

Pleased to have some Input, from a Racer outside HRCCC :D

Not 100% sure about yours, but I know that the Mardave Sensorless Brushless System had Performance issues, when running 4Cell NiMh Batteries, due to the Speed Control Software not being Compatiable with 4.8volts. This was then Updated by Mardave/Mtroniks, which seemed to cure the problem!................you maybe having Performance issues with yours, as your running a 1s Lipo Pack, which has 3.7volts......that Voltage may not be compatiable with that Unit??

Happy Christmas to you too mate 8)
dogpinkscot
Name: Justin
Car: Atomic S2 Mega Dave

Post by dogpinkscot »

hi rich there is no silver can that can do anygood at low voltage its all about kv revs per volt standard g2 revs at 12800@4.8 v
Richie

Post by Richie »

So I assume its fair to say because they are so slow with a 1S LIPO that no one will have any objection if I trial a lower turn silver can or tamiya sport motor. Your all probably right, I'm sure gazza's going to kill me LOL and I know you all have my best interests at heart but I would like to try it, otherwise I have a speedmaster v60 going completely to waste.
dogpinkscot

Post by dogpinkscot »

hi rich you will struggle gearing it as there is a lack of volts and when on load it will be awfull gazza has tried it and has a video on his superb forum to show this being done but i would try it for your own piece of mind :wink:
warr2
Experienced Member
Experienced Member
Name: David

Post by warr2 »

Any particular reason why people want to go 3.7V lipo?

To me it would make more sense to go for a 7.4v setup and then look for a slower brushed motor to try and make things equivalent.

This has several advantages:

1) A slower motor running at a higher voltage will be drawing less current so should eat the comms on the motor less.

2) You don't need to spend any money on a voltage booster for the servo and you don't need a new speedo.

3) you can use the same lipos as your touring car / buggy.

4) the weight of a 1/10 size lipo stick is about the same as 4 cells, so they should be equivalent in the corners.

The question is what's an equivalent motor?

Anybody got any dyno figures for a g2?

I'm a bit sceptical about brushless motors for spec class of racing. The problem is that brushless motor performance is significantly affected by how the speed control varies the motor timing. - IMO you need a standard speedo if you go the brushless route, but then there's the whole price thing again.
Richie

Post by Richie »

An interesting point David, I wonder what a mabucci 27t is like with a 2c lipo. Richard
Wacker1
Expert Member
Expert Member
Name: Dean Gibbs(Wacker1)
Car: Yoke BD8 17. YZ-2CA

Post by Wacker1 »

Warr2,

We're not Debating about Eliminating the Brushed Speedo/G2 Motor/NiMh Batteries out of the Standard Mardave Class..........we're just simply talking about Incorporating an Equivalent Configuration in the Standard Class, that gives everyone Equal/Consistant Performance on a weekly basis, without the Maintainance or Hassles like MOST Mardave Racers are currently suffering!

THE ANSWER :

'Sensored' Brushless Speedo/13.5T Motor/1s 3.7v Lipo Pack

This does'nt mean that current Racers HAVE to go out & Buy the New Technology.............if there happy with their G2 Motor & NiMh Batteries, they can carry on running that configuration for as long as they like!
Its simply Offering the choice to Racers that would prefer Motor/Battery Maintainance-free Racing, with consistant Performance everytime they Race, as well as making the Racing Cheaper in the long run!

The Standard Mardave V12 Chassis is a very basic Car, with Limited Space & Designed to run a Battery Pack of a 4Cell/1s Lipo size ONLY.........a 7.4v 2s Lipo Pack would not only make it almost impossible to Install the Radio Equipment, but it would totally upset the Handling of the Car!
It would be like trying to run a Lipo Pack in 12th Pan Car with a 'T' Plate Design, it just wont work!.........thats why all of the 12th Pan Car Manufacturers are totally Re-designing their Cars now, so they can use the 1s 3.7v Lipo Technology!

As for Brushless Spec Class Racing - the Competition has never been any Closer, since we went down this Route! Its Tranformed RC Racing!
Richie

Post by Richie »

Can anyone speak with any degree of authority regarding the likehood of availability of NiMl cells over the next 12 months. I think this would be a relevant point here.
stox217
Expert Member
Expert Member
Name: Nick
Car: V12

Post by stox217 »

At the main brca agm we was told that theres no more eb lists regarding nimh cells next year so i guess that about sums the nimh avalibility.
Richie

Post by Richie »

So does that mean you won't be able to buy them ?
dogpinkscot

Post by dogpinkscot »

You will be able to buy them rich but as mod touring car has gone lipo the top teams are not going to be matching cells for racing as it costs a lot ......i know im going off subject slightly but its not just our hobby thats going off nimh the drills i use at work are now lipo and they are much better my makita has a built in equalizer in the charger it takes less time to charge and lasts a lot longer IT WILL HAPPEN ONE DAY where you wont be able to buy nimh batteries its a transition we will all have to make just like the touring car guys did it might cost a bit of money this year but i guarentee it will save you money in the long run also it will make the racing a lot closer ...can you imagine this rich ..coming racing with one battery and no cotton buds having clean hands all day getting consistant lap times making the a final ......one week later get the car out of the cupboard and do the same all over again no hastle

answer to 7.4 lipo in mardave/brushed

1 it hangs over the chassis to far and could become a problem in a big side impact

2 we have done it at leicester club its to fast for the chassis and unbalanced

3 how do you make sure everyone is running the same motor
stox217
Expert Member
Expert Member
Name: Nick
Car: V12

Post by stox217 »

Still be able to get them from hong kong unmached.
warr2
Experienced Member
Experienced Member
Name: David

Post by warr2 »

answer to 7.4 lipo in mardave/brushed

1 it hangs over the chassis to far and could become a problem in a big side impact

2 we have done it at leicester club its to fast for the chassis and unbalanced

3 how do you make sure everyone is running the same motor
dogpinkscot in answer to the above

1) The lipo will overhang the chassis but you can get a 6 cell battery tray from kamtec or a fibreglass plate to protect the cells. (Dean, There's no less space for radio gear because the cells go across the chassis the same as they do at the moment.)

2) It shouldn't be unbalanced because you have the same amount of weight as a 4 cell nimh pack in the same place.

What motors did you try at leicester I'd guess at trying an HPI Saturn 35t motor to start off with as they're cheap and readily available for crawlers. (a bit of trial and error is needed to find an equivalent motor @ 7.4v.)

3) How do you make sure everybody is running the same motor at the moment?

Dean - am all for maintenance free racing, but don't believe that you need to go brushless to achieve it.

A high turn motor running at higher voltage will be more efficient so should solve the maintenance issues. - Much cheaper to buy a brushed motor than a brushless motor and speedo (and a 3.7 lipo in my case)!

Anyway,will be back racing 1st meeting after xmas.

Anybody mind if I give this a try? - Don't have any nimh cells at the moment.
Dale
Expert Member
Expert Member
Name: Dale Knight
Car: TOP Photon

Post by Dale »

Hi Guys,

Sorry to say 7.2/7.4v in a Mardave................no no no no no. Not the direction we want so no point trying it.

cells will be available but difficult to get, more expensive and I am sure not as good quality, so really lipo is the long term direction and one cell.

I feel we need to run G2/4 cell................equivalent HPI motor 4 cell................lipo (and an equivalent motor to suit class - TBC)..................lipo 13.5t (not sure about this but would welcome tests and feed back).

The club wants to promote a class where people can migrate to lipo/brushless over a period from G2/4 cell in their own time.

Happy for people to try new things so we can judge over comign weeks.

Regards

Dale