Stock and Modified
Grandad
Expert Member
Expert Member
Name: Ian Green
Car: Ford Focus Estate

x-ray t2 worn driveshaft

Post by Grandad »

We've been having a closer look at Sean's x-ray T2 009 with a view to running it in the upcoming indoor season. We were wondering if the front driveshafts were supposed to have what seems to me like a lot of play in them. The car was bought second hand a year ago, so we've nothing new to compare it against.

Here is a 30 second clip of the driveshaft being wiggled! Any thoughts as to whether this is serviceable or not please?

regards
Ian
Martyn
Name: Martyn Ross
Car: XRAY T4 14

Re: x-ray t2 worn driveshaft

Post by Martyn »

Hi Ian,

I would say the axle and most likely the pin look very worn. You can buy all the components separately to replace.

Couple of questions... is this one of the front drives shafts and how often do you clean/lubricate them?

Martyn
Grandad
Expert Member
Expert Member
Name: Ian Green
Car: Ford Focus Estate

Post by Grandad »

Hi Martyn,
Thank for the reply. Yes, both front driveshafts look in a similar condition. There is no sign of any lubrication whatsoever! , so I guess our lack of maintenance hasn't helped. I've just looked in the parts manual and it does suggest the use of graphite grease.

It was towards the end of last indoor season that we noticed that the steering started to 'chatter' on full left or right lock. I remember replacing the servo which didn't help, but then the season finished so it got left unexplained.

I can't actually find a supplier who has the axles in stock, the shafts are available at about £20 each. With the other bits and pieces that need doing to the car, it might not be economically sensible to repair.

How do you decide when its time to scrap a car? Is it based on wear and tear, or maybe do you just decide to replace it every year or season?

regards
Ian
Martyn
Name: Martyn Ross
Car: XRAY T4 14

Post by Martyn »

PM sent.

Martyn