Racing Saturday 3rd November

Stock and Modified
AndyBird
Name: Andy

Racing Saturday 3rd November

Post by AndyBird »

Hi Guys,

Hoping to make the club meet this Saturday thanks for the welcome last time. I will be on site with Team Powers 26R tyres for 20.00 that some of you are now running. We also have spec-r, and other team powers products to hand including Motors, Shock oils ESC's, additives etc...

I also have some LTCR Protoform Shells (TC) at £20.00 each

If anyones intrested please let me know so I can bring the appropriate stock...

Cheers

Andy
treasurer
Treasurer
Treasurer
Name: Roger Cosgrove

Re: Racing Saturday 3rd November

Post by treasurer »

Great to see Andy back racing at Hinckley on Saturday, seems like there is a lot of interest in the Team Powers tyres, maybe the club could work with Andy and purchase some tyres in bulk?

What do you think :D
DazLee
Experienced Member
Experienced Member
Name: Darren Lee

Post by DazLee »

Hi all,

I ran the Team Powers Tyres in the last final straight out of the packet and went pretty much as fast or as slow (depends how you want to look at it) as I did on my one week old Sorex tyres.

Now they are run in, I will be running them in conjunction with the sorex to try to get a fair comparison and will report back my findings.

The grip in that first run seemed pretty good, and the car just had a little more understeer as can be expected with any new tyres.
I dont think they will be as fast as new Sorex tyres.......so for it to work, we would all have to agree to run them.

The main thing to assess is how many runs we can get from the tyres before the grip drops off or the tyres drop off the wheels!!.....unfortunately, although the sorex tyres are as fast as they always have been, they dont seem to last more than about 2 weeks.

As I understand, the Team Powers tyres are / will be considerably cheaper than the Sorex so thats always a good starting point.

Thanks
Daz
Ben Cosgrove
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by Ben Cosgrove »

I have been using these tyres with my 3.5 mod car for 3 indoor weeks and also they did the Don Valley test.

I have not seen any drop off in performance since new although they do have a ring of death around the inside like all the soft tyres do.

I am impressed by them. They feel very good at the start of the run compared to sorex which always seemed to take a few laps to feel right.

I will continue to use them over the next few weeks.

The best thing about this tyre is the price aswell!! £20 for a set RRP and the club may be able to do them a little bit cheaper if we buy in bulk :D

Maybe we should make them a championship points control tyre. Meaning everyone can race together but only the people on the powers score points for the club?
HPI/Hot Bodies/Maverick/Merlin/Optifuel/GM/Muchmore UK/CustomBlitz/Hudy
Martyn
Name: Martyn Ross
Car: XRAY T4 14

Post by Martyn »

Like the idea of a cheaper tyre :n1

As Daz is doing, lets asses the performance and durability of the tyre over the next few weeks. The make a decision for next years championship?

I know some fellow club members have been running the Powers tyre , so be interesting to hear their feedback too?

Martyn
Wacker1
Expert Member
Expert Member
Name: Dean Gibbs(Wacker1)
Car: Yoke BD8 17. YZ-2CA

Post by Wacker1 »

I'm also in Favour of finding a Cheaper Tyre, as the Price of the Sorex is Ridiculous now!

........specially when the Quality has considerably gone Down-Hill in the Last 12 months!

The only Positive thing with the Sorex is that it does'nt really Drop-off much on Pace, even when 'The Ring Of Death' has set in......so still pretty Competitive 3-4 weeks in!

The Team Powers Tyre/Wheel definately looks like something to seriously consider!

I've also Noticed that theres a New Improved Version of the Sweep Tyre/Wheel, which is currently the 'Control Tyre' for this years 'Rug Racers' Carpet Event!
Appears that they've Disposed of those awful Yellow Wheels for White ones again & have a Stronger section around the Hex area, to Prevent them from Twisting!
They also look like they've changed the Original 'Tall' Tyre wall & made them a Similar Profile to all the other Manufacturers + changed the Insert, so should give good Performance too!
With the Rubber being a 30 Compound, they should hopefully Last Longer than the others! :n1
Pricewise, there £23.99, so definately one to look at! 8)
DazLee
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by DazLee »

Its all well and good finding tyres to try, and posting pictures of them...........but is anyone actually going to volunteer to get some and try them?

I have so far this season tried the Moorespeed, Team Powers, Sorex 32JB and Sorex 28JB. I am also considering trying the Sorex 28RY as I believe these will last longer........But, I appear to be the only person trying new / different tyres. And, to be honest I am more than happy to stick with the Sorex 28JB, and would be very happy if the club stuck to these also.

None of the tyres I have used seem to have the sheer grip and pace that the Sorex 28JB has at our club, and I am therefore putting myself a disadvantage using these other tyres. Why should I sacrifice my results and racing when noone else is willing to???

Anyway, I have made my decision........I am sticking to Sorex 28JB tyres............at least until others start to get pro-active on this subject. At the current rate of progress, I am pretty sure I will be running Sorex for the entire indoor season.

Thanks
Daz
Ben Cosgrove
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by Ben Cosgrove »

Good point Darren.

Maybe the club should provide a few sets and assign them to racers to test?

Maybe cover the cost of the entry for the few who test things?

It definately is not fair disadvantaging drivers who are trying to help, plus Darren needs all the pace he can get :shock: :lol:
DazLee
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by DazLee »

Its not pace I am struggling with Ben......when on the 'best' tyres........its driving ability! :cry:

Although, still got enough of that to show you the way round in GT12 racing! :lol:
Ian_Smith
Committee
Committee
Name: Ian Smith
Car: Schumacher Mi4LP

Post by Ian_Smith »

Myself and Chris Forrest have both been running the Team Powers tyres for a couple of weeks in the 17.5 class.

I think it is fair to say that we are both very happy with their performance for this class. I have found a couple of cracks in the front wheels, but i did have a heavy head-on collision with Chris on the straight last week. The rubber itself seems to be OK, although both Chris and I have found a thin patch running across the tyre on some of the tyres after a couple of weeks - I don't think eaither of us brake heavily enough to get flat spots :D

It would be good to get feedback from racers who are somewhat more consistent than us on the tyres performance!

Ian
Schumacher Mi4LP / Hobbywing Justock / Speed Passion V3.0 17.5
"Speed is nothing without Control" - wish I had just one of 'em! :-)
Ben Cosgrove
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by Ben Cosgrove »

DazLee wrote:Its not pace I am struggling with Ben......when on the 'best' tyres........its driving ability! :cry:

Although, still got enough of that to show you the way round in GT12 racing! :lol:
:lol: I feel a GT12 race off coming on :evil:
DazLee
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by DazLee »

Haha, a GT12 race off.........when?

I stopped racing mine cbecause you asking me to wait for you got a bit boring! :wink:
Ben Cosgrove
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by Ben Cosgrove »

DazLee wrote:Haha, a GT12 race off.........when?

I stopped racing mine cbecause you asking me to wait for you got a bit boring! :wink:
Just me and you on the track in our own race to the death :lol:

Will let you know next time i race it....you gonna run no addittive like me aswell? 8)
DazLee
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by DazLee »

That could be fun.

I will give the no additive thing a go :? ........gotta get some new tyres first as I ruined all of them by having too much fun with the tyre truer!!!!! :oops:
wackyracer
Getting started
Getting started
Name: craig gibson

Post by wackyracer »

maybe we shud look into having a controled tyre make racing just little bit cheaper with team powers tyres etc just an idea!