Dann123
Average Member
Average Member
Name: Dann Kennell
Car: Cyclone MooreSpeed

17.5t Help needed

Post by Dann123 »

Hi guys,

Thinking of making the move to 17.5t next season, just after a little advice.

What ESC and Motor combo should I go for, I dont have a massive budget around £120, but at the same time I want the best quality possible... And also, forgive my lack of knowledge, whats the difference between sensored and sensorless?

I have had my eye on this http://www.modelsport.co.uk/speed-passi ... cts/366855

But I want to get the experts opinions first.

Thanks very much

Dann
Ian_Smith
Committee
Committee
Name: Ian Smith
Car: Schumacher Mi4LP

Re: 17.5t Help needed

Post by Ian_Smith »

Dann,

There were quite a few 17.5 drivers now (about 10-12), we seem to have a broad spectrum of speedo's, ranging from the Hobbywing version of the Speed Passion you have your eye on to Tekin's. Similarly, there is quite a range of different motors. The reality is that they all run in "Blinky mode" (no trubo / on-the-fly-timing-advance), and are all pretty much in the same ball park regarding top end speed and over-all lap time.

For myself, I have been running a Hobbywing Justock speedo with an LRP X12 motor. The motor has little plugin pieces in the end-bell end to allow the amount of timing to be fixed at -10/-5/-0/+5 or +10 degrees - I have an earlier V2 version of the SpeedPassion Ultrasportsman that has fixed timing (cannot be changed at all) - Dale/Charlotte ran it for a while and it was perfectly adequate because even though on other motors the timing can be changed you just end up adjusting the gear ratio. I have run my motor in all of the timing configurations (adjusting the gears to suit - to keep the temperatures sensible), and didn't find any advantage from any of them so left it at 0 degrees most of the time.

In summary, I don't think you will go far wrong with the setup you are considering, and I hope you come and join the 17.5 brigade :-)

Ian
Schumacher Mi4LP / Hobbywing Justock / Speed Passion V3.0 17.5
"Speed is nothing without Control" - wish I had just one of 'em! :-)