Stock and Modified
DazLee
Experienced Member
Experienced Member
Name: Darren Lee

Touring Cars - 17.5t - NO TIMING?

Post by DazLee »

Hi guys,

Firstly, I cant wait to get back indoors......and from what I saw on Saturday the racing looks as though its going to be closer than ever!!
I will be back on 24th September.

The main reason for this post is to discuss the 17.5t class. I heard a couple of people say they were hoping to join this class but are concerned that not all the cars are running 'ZERO TIMING'.
Now, from what I saw, and from my experience I am pretty sure some of the cars I watched on Saturday are not running true Zero timing. They were way too fast......in fact almost as fast as the 13.5t + Timing cars in a straight line.

I am not considering entering this class but wanted to clarify the rules for anyone that may......???

Is it strict zero timing????
or is it.......as long as its not 'Tekin / GM' type variable timing advance then anything goes??
(For example......old style Nosram / LRP...??? - They do have timing advance on certain profiles!!!)

Thanks
Daz
Ben Cosgrove
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Re: Touring Cars - 17.5t - NO TIMING?

Post by Ben Cosgrove »

All ESC's should have the blinky profile enabled

That means when you are in neutral the ESC flashes

If it doesn't then you are cheating :shock:

Ben
HPI/Hot Bodies/Maverick/Merlin/Optifuel/GM/Muchmore UK/CustomBlitz/Hudy
Ian_Smith
Committee
Committee
Name: Ian Smith
Car: Schumacher Mi4LP

Post by Ian_Smith »

Daz,

Mark Stevens made the same comment to me, I can assure everyone that Tom, Chris F, Ian Robson and myself were all running zero-timing (blinky) speedos / setup (not sure what Chris C was running because he has an LRP speedo which may or may not have some timing advance). For myself, I am running a speedo that Ben Cosgrove has leant me, which is basically a HPI re-branded Hobbywing "Justock Club Spec" one that has zero fixed timing (no ability to change that on the speedo, or as far as I'm aware ability to update the software).

I have to play with the speedo punch/brake settings a little though along with the gear ratios and possibly the timing on the motor because my temps were over 90 degrees in the finals (the motor timing that we Tom, Chris F and myself were all 0 degrees, Chris C was running a -ve timing - all of us were running LRP X12 motors that have the ability to have -10, -5, 0, +5 or +10 degrees applied to whatever timing is built into the motor as manufactured).

I don't know why we gave the impression that we are as quick as 13.5, we are clearly not, however I know that I was able to pull away from Alan Marson on the straights but that is probably down to the FDR we run - I was running 4.06 / 4.2 (70t spur with either 31 or 30t pinion), Chris F was running 4.2.

Ian
Schumacher Mi4LP / Hobbywing Justock / Speed Passion V3.0 17.5
"Speed is nothing without Control" - wish I had just one of 'em! :-)
Jordan Norwood
Name: Jordan Norwood

Post by Jordan Norwood »

Hello,

Let me introduce myself but some of you may already know me. My name is Jordan Norwood.

Im from the Bedworth Club where the 17.5t Blinky or non-timing class is quite big. Personally it is the best racing I have ever done as most cars going round the track there is nothing in it because of the lack of timing.

During the winter I was thinking about trying carpet with the same class and it seems to be getting noticed at hinckley so might come down next weekend.

What sort of gearing are you running with which motors?

Thanks again

Jordan Norwood
Hail Ming
Expert Member
Expert Member
Name: James Carroll
Car: MM & X2 Evo

Post by Hail Ming »

Hi Jordon,

Welcome to the forum...

I think most people run the LRP X12 with FDR around 4.5 (I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong). At that gearing you'll need to run a fan on the motor to keep the temperatures down a bit. Hope that helps...

Perhaps we'll see you this weekend - booking in open about 12:30ish if you fancied a race.

Cheers

James
Try 'Quick Silver', the Amazing Silver Can Powered Touring Car Class at HRCCC
Ian_Smith
Committee
Committee
Name: Ian Smith
Car: Schumacher Mi4LP

Post by Ian_Smith »

Jordan,

I am running an LRP X12 which last week had the motor timing set to -10degrees, with an FDR of 4.2, I have a heatsink/fan on the motor and it came off at the end of 5 mins at ~75degrees C. I have been playing with the speedo settings (punch / drag brake) over the first 2 meetings of the season to find something optimal for my driving style, which also keeps the temps down (first meeting it came off at 95 degrees in the finals - but I found a bit of grit in the spur which probably caused extra friction and hence made the motor work harder).

Hope this helps and look forward to seeing you.

Ian
Schumacher Mi4LP / Hobbywing Justock / Speed Passion V3.0 17.5
"Speed is nothing without Control" - wish I had just one of 'em! :-)
Jordan Norwood
Name: Jordan Norwood

Post by Jordan Norwood »

Im sorry to say I wont be able to come down this saturday, however i will be able to come down the next saturday to give it ago.

To be honest it will be interesting to see the difference on racing on-road to carpet. On-road if you look at Bedworth website, i actually hold the track record for 17.5 Blink. So i might be giving someone a hold for their money :)

Might take me a couple of weeks to get up to speed on carpet but we will have to see what happens lol.

With regards to tyres. What tyres are people using and additive? Also do you use tyre warmers or not?

Thanks again

Jordan
DazLee
Experienced Member
Experienced Member
Name: Darren Lee

Post by DazLee »

Hi Jordan,

I think the tyre of choice at the minute is the Sorex 28 with the JB insert, using LRP/Nosram Carpet Additive.........although I know a couple of people have tried the Rheinard Carpet and CS High Grip Stuff.

Personally, I will be going with the Sorex Tyres and LRP additive for my first indoor meeting this Saturday.

Just need to decide which bodyshell to run.....Protoform P37.?...... Protoform LTC-R.?.......East Coast Speed 6........Protoform Speed 6.!!!
I understand a few people are running the HPI / Hot Bodies / Moorespeed Subaru with some good positive comments but not sure I can justify another bodyshell in my collection until I have tried and probably trashed the ones I have!!

Thanks
Daz