90c Rated Lipos

Stock and Modified
MeBeMikey
Name: Michael J.
Car: Xray T3 2011 spec

90c Rated Lipos

Post by MeBeMikey »

Just went on a website and saw that 90c Lipps will be available soon if nit already AND THEN went to the BRCA website to see if my battery was legal, it is thank goodness, but My word 90c!

So what really would be the benefits of such a high rating. I know the benefits of going from 20c to 50c fo stock boosted racing but will I gain any performance jumping to a 90c battery? Does anyone have one?

Thanks
Michael
Team BritUS

Ps: just removed the fan, balanced my T3 and my laptimes at Ardent dropped by .7 of a second! Finally got into the 12 second range and on same lap as the leaders but he runs a 4.5 motor but just happy to be on same lap.

For Tekin and x12 13.5 at Ardent: timing 40 turbo 15. And FDR of 8.4. Yah should come off at 70 degrees and it's ballistic and still pulling hard at bottom of straight and around the bottom corner. Mind you, yah risk blowing your tyres off.
Xray T3 2012 spec: Tekin RS, Futaba BLS551, Orion and MooreSpeed lipos
Associated B4 w/X6 conversion and B44
Spektrum DX3r
Richie
Name: Richard Wilson

Re: 90c Rated Lipos

Post by Richie »

Hi Michael, hope you are well

Just thinking about this.............assuming the "c" rateing represents the maximum continuous discharge available in a cell as a proportion of the Amp rate to fully charge the cell from empty within one hour. So a 5000mah cell needs 5A to fully charge in one hour, therefore the maximum continuous discharge is 5A x 90 = 450A. If you dischaged a 5000mah pack at 450A (450,000mA) it would take 40 seconds to discharge the whole pack from full. To coin a very popular phrase "I Don't Believe it" Richard
jayst
Name: jamie cheshire
Car: T D . 210,410.408

Post by jayst »

it will be the burst rating and not the continious
MeBeMikey

Post by MeBeMikey »

jayst wrote:it will be the burst rating and not the continious
I hope it's not as I'm Gunna get one to try out. Orion has one. It would be a bit cheaky to say it's a BRAND NEW lipo technology that has just arrived and it not be better than my 45c Orion battery.

My MuchMore 4400 50c battery is brill but it does come off warm after a run. I know that is normal but wondered If the heat that is generated is because my motor is occasionally (or always) taking my battery to it's limits. If my car is only a few tenths slower (of my fastest lap) than a very very good sponsored driver using a 4.5 I would think I'm taking it to it's limits and a 90c battery (if true) might benefit me.

So, does a 13.5 take a 50c to it's limits with these Tekin ESC's?
Spektrum DX3r
MeBeMikey

Post by MeBeMikey »

Richie wrote:Hi Michael, hope you are well

Just thinking about this.............assuming the "c" rateing represents the maximum continuous discharge available in a cell as a proportion of the Amp rate to fully charge the cell from empty within one hour. So a 5000mah cell needs 5A to fully charge in one hour, therefore the maximum continuous discharge is 5A x 90 = 450A. If you dischaged a 5000mah pack at 450A (450,000mA) it would take 40 seconds to discharge the whole pack from full. To coin a very popular phrase "I Don't Believe it" Richard
I guess we need to reduce race time to one minute sprint now that we may be able to do it! Last 20 seconds would be coasting. :hmm
Spektrum DX3r
dogpinkscot
Name: Justin
Car: Atomic S2 Mega Dave

Post by dogpinkscot »

there supposed to come off warm its normal.... its right what richard says 90c is theory in a lab in cyber space...... :)
MeBeMikey

Post by MeBeMikey »

Spoke to quite a few people (2 different tracks) and the downfall of these batteries is that the wires used inside the battery cannot sustain 90c. Darn...
Spektrum DX3r
Richie
Name: Richard Wilson

Post by Richie »

Hi Michael

Don't be nieve, what makes you think anthing else can.

Chassis, wheels, drive shafts , belts, spur gears, motors.

I doubt any of these can sustain that kind of high demand without premature wear of failure. It equates to 3.3kw in power, that is extreme for a car that size.
MeBeMikey

Post by MeBeMikey »

Got me a 65c LRP lipo. Looking forward to running it next week. Have yet to run it with turbo on. With turbo off it was on par with 50c. Will race one final on 50c and the last on 65c. Will tell yah, or if you see a difference, will post it on here. 15c is quite a big jump but not sure if 13.5 will actually access that extra 15c. My MooreSpeed lipo only has a few races on it so I can consider it new still.
Spektrum DX3r
Gazza
Forum Fisherman
Name: GAZZA
Car: Mardave V12

Post by Gazza »

90c is fine but show me a ESC and motor that draws 450A and will flatten a battery in seconds :wink:

C rating is how fast it can let go the power lets say how many amps it can draw safely

right now lets say we have an ESC and motor that draws 45amp and is runing for 5 minutes OK

So if. . . . .

LiPo pack 1 is rated at 25c then after 5 minutes the lipo is going to be Hot

Lipo pack 2 is rated at 40c then after 5 minutes the lipo is going to be warm

Lipo pack 3 is rated at 50c then after 5 minutes the lipo is going to be Luke warm

Lipo pack 4 is rated at 90c then after 5 minutes the lipo is going to be cool

Lipo pack 2 is rated at 40c then after 5 minutes the lipo is going to be cold

Imagine a bucket of water if you will and drill holes in at top to bottom the flow of water ( C rating ) can be seen as thus

I~~~~~~~I- - - - -25C
I~~~~~~~I------------40C
I~~~~~~~I----------------50C
I~~~~~~~I-----------------------90C
I_______I_____________________100C
I_______I
Distance
travelled . . . 2ft---3ft---4ft---5ft

So basicly its how fast the water ( amps ) comes out the pack that gives you the Punch ( distance the water travels )
so yea a 90c Lipo is fine but if you see a 110c LiPo it must be April the 1st

But as James ( dogpinkscott )says his lipo comes off warm :!: so there for you need a bigger C rating LIPO

I have run LRP A.I / Fusion Exceed / Team wave & Tekin ESC with my SMC 4900mah 1s Lipo rated at 50c works fine full boost and turbo . . .

Mark got me a Lipo from USA cant remember the name again rated at 5000mah 50c and this came off warm :hmm

my conclusion is I dont believe the 50c rating on the pack from USA more like a 40c :n1