Winter 2011 Series : What Classes

Stock and Modified

Which Touring Car Class would you want ro run after Christmas (Winter 2011 season)?

10.5 with on-the-fly timing advance/turbo
No votes
13.5 with on-the-fly timing advance/turbo
32%
13.5 with NO timing advance/turbo (New BRCA class)
26%
17.5 with NO timing advance/turbo (New BRCA class)
42%

Total votes: 19

Wacker1
Expert Member
Expert Member
Name: Dean Gibbs(Wacker1)
Car: Yoke BD8 17. YZ-2CA

Re: Winter 2011 Series : What Classes

Post by Wacker1 »

Hi all,

I think that the Idea of Introducing a 17.5T Motor/Zero Timing Speedo Touring Car Class between the current 'QuickSilver' & 13.5T/Turbo Class is great in Theory, but I think that you've got to be careful not to put Racers off, before its even got going, by saying that ONLY a certain Speedo/Motor Combo can be used to Enter!

.......as I said, if Racers are told that there'll have to Pay out £100+ for a Combo, to be allowed to Enter in the New 'True Stock' Class, there'll just get put off & the Class will be Dead in no time!

Personally, I think that too many are getting hung-up on this 'Timing' issue with the various Speedo's that are Available

........we all know that all the New 'On The Fly'/Turbo Timing & 1st Generation LRP SPX 'StockSpec' & Nosram Matrix 'Spec' Racing Speedo's are easily spotted on the Track, which should obviously NOT be allowed in this New Class, but why worry about all the Previous Models that had the small Amounts of Fixed Timing Incorporated in the Punch Settings?

I think that most of the Older Speedo'si.e the LRP Sphere/Nosram Matrix Evo/LRP SXX TC Spec/Nosram Pearl ISTC only had 10 Degrees of Fixed Timing on their Maximum Punch Setting anyway, so its hardly worth worrying about!

Even if this New Class was up & running with a 17.5T Motor/Zero Timing Speedo, there would still be noticable differences in Performance between Racers on the Track, as it would be down to the Various Motors & Lipo's that are Newly being Released from the Manufacturers.............just like it was in the Original 13.5/10.5 & Modified Classes 3 Years ago!

I was abit disappointed that the 10.5 Touring Class at HRCCC had 'fizzled' out, but after trying the current 13.5/Open Speedo Class on the last week before Christmas, I thought it was great!

.............you can definately feel a Performance difference between the 13.5/Turbo to the 10.5/Turbo, but being a few Tenths slower per Lap, makes it feel Perfect for the size of the HRCCC Track!

I think that HRCCC's '2011' 13.5 Touring Season will be Closer & more Competitive than ever!!

Dean.
wackyracer
Getting started
Getting started
Name: craig gibson

Post by wackyracer »

i personnely think we should look at 13.5 with turbo turned off it would make racing closer n better n there wont be so much diffrence in pace off a advence speedo n non advence speedo.
overson
Average Member
Average Member
Name: neil overson
Car: Xrayn 009/crc Gen lx

Post by overson »

Hi i ran 17.5 with turbo in the orion meeting at moto arena last week, found it alot slower than 13.5 with turbo but faster than 13.5 with out turbo but only on the fast parts. it was about the same on the infield. just some information for people to think about. if there is a 13.5 non turbo class could i run my 17.5 with turbo in it.
Fusion Hobbies.
xray 009/ 10.5
CRC XL/ 10.5
hb-dom
Average Member
Average Member
Name: dom mcgee

Post by hb-dom »

hi guys,
basicaly ive ended up with an lrp spx stock spec,
am i going to be able to run in the 17.5 class?
DazLee
Experienced Member
Experienced Member
Name: Darren Lee

Post by DazLee »

Hi dom,
This speedo is effectively a blue version of the nosram matrix evolution stock spec Justin mentioned earlier in this thread (38 degree advance on setting 8).
Providing its not used on profile 8 then I don't see it being a problem....but as I am not running in this class I wouldn't like to say for sure.
What I think this has done is highlight the issue with this proposed new class....does everyone have to go and buy new 'zero timing ' speedos to enter?
And if everyone wants to and can afford to go and buy brand new 'zero timing' speedos, does anyone actually know what speedos can be used or what to buy???
Thanks
Daz
Ian_Smith
Committee
Committee
Name: Ian Smith
Car: Schumacher Mi4LP

Post by Ian_Smith »

Guys,

For the foreseeable future I agree that there are going to be issues with regard to the proposed 17.5 no-timing class. The BRCA have introduced a series for the class over the summer, but (as far as I know) have yet to define a set of rules for this series which I presume will include a list of acceptable speedos and motors (so far the homolagation list only has 4 17.5 turn motors on it). A number of clubs seem eager to embrace this new class to replace the old 27t brushed class, some of which have already started to list some acceptable speedos presumably from their own experience of running 17.5, for example Adur (http://www.adurrc.org/index.php?option= ... Itemid=120).

I for one would not for this coming series want to be quite so restrictive, if you have a speedo that can have the timing removed or turned down fine, run it. If you're blowing everyone else away on the straight then it's certainly wrong for the class, so perhaps you should try to slow the car down a bit. If all else fails limit throttle to 90% or something on the transmitter, we won't be policing what you're running or how you're running it. At the end of the day, I expect the take-up of racers to be few in number to start with (so far only 8 have responded positively to it in my original poll). I would like to think that because we have no cash prizes and a little tin cup is the only reward at the end of 12 weeks racing that anyone who tries this out will do so in the spirit of having fun, and hopefully some close racing.

For me, it's the nearest I've found to 27t brushed, and running it has certainly improved my driving. The only thing I would add to anyone considering the class is that you will probably need a FDR of about 4.0 (I ended up on 4.2 indoors and 3.5 or 3.6 outdoors) so you may need a different sized spur and pinion to normal. This allows my motor to come off between 50 and 60 degrees (centigrade), I did try a more aggressive gearing at the start of the last season which left the motor at nearly 80, but decided that preserving the kit was more important :lol:

Ian
Schumacher Mi4LP / Hobbywing Justock / Speed Passion V3.0 17.5
"Speed is nothing without Control" - wish I had just one of 'em! :-)
DazLee
Experienced Member
Experienced Member
Name: Darren Lee

Post by DazLee »

Hi All,

Well, I have just placed my order for my new 13.5t motor ready for saturday........quite looking forward to getting back to racing!!

Anyway, Just had another thought on this new 'Superstock class'........Would it be worth considering running this as 13.5t non turbo Superstock??

My reasons for asking this are as follows:
1). Anyone that competed last year in the 13.5t class already has a motor....and this would help reduce costs as they would not have to re-invest in a new motor.
2). Anyone in the future wishing to move up/on/accross to the 13.5 turbo class will not have to buy a new motor....also helping to reduce costs.

If the correct speedo / motor combo is selected (Option of turbo and Non turbo 'zero timing' available) the possibility to switch between classes is available with just the press of a button??

I know this is mainly cost based but lets face it, this is not, has never been and is never likely to be a cheap hobby!!! So, any opportunity to reduce potential costs should really be looked at.?

On the downside to the 13.5t argument........it does not fall into line with the new BRCA 17.5 Superstock class.

Thanks
Daz

Thanks
Daz
John74
Name: John Davie
Car: Corally PHi 09

Post by John74 »

Will be stripping down my car and getting it ready tomorrow for the 17.5 class at the weekend, might have to pick up some tyres on the day and do some testing on gear ratio's but it will be interesting to see how it goes as i have never run the speedo in the spec mode before.
overson
Average Member
Average Member
Name: neil overson
Car: Xrayn 009/crc Gen lx

Post by overson »

does any know what class are being run on sat.
Fusion Hobbies.
xray 009/ 10.5
CRC XL/ 10.5
Martyn
Name: Martyn Ross
Car: XRAY T4 14

Post by Martyn »

Touring car class wise... i guess quicksilver and 13.5t, and any 17.5/zero timing speedo's to run with the quicksilver guys?

Maybe Rodger will confirm before Saturday.

Martyn
Ian_Smith
Committee
Committee
Name: Ian Smith
Car: Schumacher Mi4LP

Post by Ian_Smith »

Martyn,

I wouldn't want to put 17.5 non-timing in with the Quicksilvers, I was typically at least 1 sec per lap quicker than the fastest Quicksilvers with my 17.5 setup, my best in the last final of the 2010 season was 11.39 against a best of about 13 sec in the corresponding Quicksilver A final.

Ian
Schumacher Mi4LP / Hobbywing Justock / Speed Passion V3.0 17.5
"Speed is nothing without Control" - wish I had just one of 'em! :-)