Balancing My Touring Car Help

Stock and Modified
MeBeMikey
Name: Michael J.
Car: Xray T3 2011 spec

Balancing My Touring Car Help

Post by MeBeMikey »

I bought 4 individual scales and just put my car on it (without bodyshell). Here are the readings:

Left Front-------------Right Front
---318---------------------295----

Left Rear--------------Right Rear
---302---------------------324----

Total Left-------------Total Right
----620--------------------619----

With bodyshell, just so yah know, I am above the weight limit: 1239 (car) + 114 (bodyshell)= 1353 (Puuuuuuurrrrrfect!)

I am totally stoked that my car is balanced left to right without any weights. Would you add any to make it perfect on each corner or just leave it? I was thinking 20 grams on RIGHT FRONT and 20 grams LEFT REAR to try to make it almost perfect. Or is that just overboard?

Thanks for any help and for you 1/10th 10.5 guys, GREAT racing today! I enjoyed watching you all drive very clean and put some good lap times down. I hope to graduate to your class next season. :wink:

Michael Johnson
Team BritUS
Xray T3 2012 spec: Tekin RS, Futaba BLS551, Orion and MooreSpeed lipos
Associated B4 w/X6 conversion and B44
Spektrum DX3r
jayst
Name: jamie cheshire
Car: T D . 210,410.408

Re: Balancing My Touring Car Help

Post by jayst »

i wud add the 20g to the corners u said
warr2
Experienced Member
Experienced Member
Name: David

Re: Balancing My Touring Car Help

Post by warr2 »

If you want to get the corner weights perfect then normally this is achieved by adjusting the spring preload on individual corners. Unless the car is massively out of balance and /or underweight.

In your case you'd increase preload on right front and rear left springs and and decrease preload on the other 2 springs. (You need to adjust both to keep the ride height the same.)

Having said that, my personal opinion is that you're going a bit overboard. - Are your scales perfectly level? Wouldn't mind betting that if you turn the car round on the scales the reading is probably slightly different.

Friction between the tyres and the scales also mean that the suspension sticks slightly and you don't get a perfect reading.

But the main reason I wouldn't bother is because the track isn't perfectly flat. And has lots of small bumps.

For a touring car with softish springs moving 1 wheel up by 1mm will cause a change in load of approx 250g for that wheel. ( the exact figure will vary quite a lot depending on spring rates, and I'm ignoring tyre deflection), but the basic point is for the small differences in corner weights you're talking about you won't notice any difference whatsoever on the track.

Having said that I'd probably add 20g to your car still, but only because your car is 3g above the weight limit, and it gives you more of a comfort zone at scrutineering. You can pretty much guarantee that your scales will not give the same readings as the BRCA's.