One Way Set-Up?

Stock and Modified
MeBeMikey
Name: Michael J.
Car: Xray T3 2011 spec

One Way Set-Up?

Post by MeBeMikey »

I have a TA05IFS and I noticed quite a few people run one ways. For my car there is a One Way Front Diff (might be a spool I am not for sure yet) and there is a one way center pulley. What do you guys seem to use or do you have to get both? Thanks.
Xray T3 2012 spec: Tekin RS, Futaba BLS551, Orion and MooreSpeed lipos
Associated B4 w/X6 conversion and B44
Spektrum DX3r
MeBeMikey

Re: One Way Set-Up?

Post by MeBeMikey »

One more question. I just got a one way center pulley. Can that be run with a diff up front while I wait for the spool to come in?
Spektrum DX3r
deaks
Name: Scott Deakin
Car: T2 009

Post by deaks »

Hi Michael,

You can still run a diff with the one-way pulley. It will probably be easier to drive than having a front one-way and not suffer quite so much under-steer as a spool. You get the additional maintenance however and it's considered to be (very slightly) slower when accelerating, due to the diff slippage. I have run a diff at the front and did not notice to be honest.

Currently I have an xray T2 008, with a front spool and solid centre pulley. I tried a front one-way some time ago, as the top drivers in stock tended to use one and reckoned it was quicker - it made the car quite interesting to drive. Basically when you let off the power, the front grip would increase quite noticeably, so you would tend to swap ends if not paying attention. The spool makes the car under-steer, which means its probably slightly slower around corners as it's not changing direction quickly. However the benefit is that the car is far more predictable, so it's much easier to maintain consistency. I have found that to drive reasonably quickly at the lower ranks, you don't need a one-way, you just need to follow these rules:

1. Don't hit anything
2. Drive smoothly (the kinetic co-efficient of friction for rubber is less than the static i.e. you slide, you slow down)
3. Take the shortest path around the track, without compromising 1 & 2 above
4. Drive as fast as you can without compromising 1 - 3 above.

I have digressed! :) Just run a spool up front - if you find yourself under-steering like crazy, stick in the one-way pulley.

Cheers,
Scott
"Sponge and a bit of Jam"
MeBeMikey

Post by MeBeMikey »

Hey THANKS Scott! My spool did not come in before this weekend of racing so I decided to lock the front diff down and run like that....

Well, it did not work to well. For some reason the diff loosened up through the race so my car was VERY unpredictable. The front diff slipped when under very little power. IT was all rear wheel drive and no fun. It just did not work for me. So, in the last A final I dropped out halfway through the race. I am still happy, though, I qualified 5th and did some good lap times. I have now ordered two more larger pinions to get up some more speed on the straight. I have waaaaay too much torque coming out of the corners which breaks the rear loose. Could be my Orion 5400 45c battery tho. My LRP speedo is set on level one for punch. After the race my 13.5 Pro novak is just on the warm side of things so I think it is safe to go up a few teeth. I started at 29 tooth and I am all the way up to 39 now. I just ordered 40 and 41. That might sound big I think...I dunno. My spur is 105, center solid pullies are 16t and diff/spool 36t. Wondering if I should get 42 and 43?

Thanks for your info and another fantastic days racing and figuring things out!
Spektrum DX3r