Track Orientation

Post anything that does not fit into any of the other forums.

Which Way?

Poll ended at Thu Dec 19, 2013 2:49 pm

Clockwise
40%
Anti-Clockwise
No votes
Either - I can handle both ways!
60%

Total votes: 10

Martyn
Name: Martyn Ross
Car: XRAY T4 14

Track Orientation

Post by Martyn »

Hi All,

You may have noticed we decided to reverse the track direction on Saturday just gone! As a result the club received/heard some negative feedback. But before I explain the reasoning, I would like our seasoned HRCCC members to think back to when our club was racing at JCC, and ask yourself which direction we ran then???

Can’t remember… well it was anti-clockwise :D

The direction change came about after a discussion regarding the sweeper we generally run at the end of the straight. Many of you may not know that we are restricted to how open we can make the sweeper, due to the loop limiting track width & where it can be positioned, therefore it tends to be a little tighter than we would like. So this week we decided to reverse the track, taking the loop out of the picture, thus enabling us to run a more open sweeper.

So their it is, nothing to technical! I personally had no issues running anti-clockwise, as my car terns left as well as it does right! Plus I managed to miss hitting the sweeper this week :D

But we are a club (“An organization composed of people who voluntarily meet on a regular basis for a mutual purpose”) and the decision to run future races anti-clockwise should not be solely left to those dedicated track builders, which set out your track each week.

With that in mind, I’ve set up a poll to gauge the clubs preference.

Regards,

Martyn
Ian_Smith
Committee
Committee
Name: Ian Smith
Car: Schumacher Mi4LP

Re: Track Orientation

Post by Ian_Smith »

Martyn,

Personally I did not have any problems running anti-clockwise, but I really struggled with the chicane in the middle of the track - nothing to do with the track design or the direction around it - just my thumbs :oops:

Another point to be borne in mind by voters is that typically with a clockwise circuit we tend to get uneven tyre wear, by swapping the direction occasionally this might help that wear (assuming that you're not like me and rotate your wheels around your chassis regularly)

Ian
Schumacher Mi4LP / Hobbywing Justock / Speed Passion V3.0 17.5
"Speed is nothing without Control" - wish I had just one of 'em! :-)
DazLee
Experienced Member
Experienced Member
Name: Darren Lee

Post by DazLee »

Hi Guys,

I have no problem with racing either way around.

However, if the loop is the problem...........reposition the loop??
Can't it go near the race control computer?

Also, whilst we are suggesting new ideas........can we try pitting the other side one weekend?

Put the rostrum against the wall on the current side, move the track over and pit the other side.

This will generate more pitting space and allow the use of the balcony as the track wont be too far away and people on the existing low level rostrum wouldnt be restricting the view.

Just a thought that quite a few people have said sounds like a better layout but noone seems to want to try it.

Thanks
Daz
Webmaster
The website guy
Name: Ben McQueen
Car: Xray T2 09

Post by Webmaster »

I posted this on Facebook and there's a response on there too: https://www.facebook.com/hinckleyrccc/p ... 0212668845

PS. I assumed the double post was accidental and deleted one of them, Daz.