Post anything that does not fit into any of the other forums.
retro_ryan
Getting started
Getting started
Name: ryan

Post by retro_ryan »

Hi,
Just found this forum and am interested to know if you have a beginners/retro section as i am looking to have a play with some of my old loft bound collection. How old would qualify as retro?
Eddystone
Name: Richard Dobson
Car: Tamiya TA05v2IFS

Re: Newbie

Post by Eddystone »

Hi Ryan,

As a club we are always open to new members and like to make them welcome.:D The club has just moved indoors for the Autumn season. Indoors we race 1/10th scale touring cars or Mardave V12s. The entry level race class is called "Quicksilver" and is for touring cars with standard Tamiya type 540 motors. Most retro Tamiya type road cars are suitable to race in this class.

If your loft is full of buggies then I'm afraid you've missed the outdoor buggy season for this year. :cry:

Why not come along to the club in the Sports Hall at John Cleveland College. Race meeting are Saturday afternoons and we're there setting up from about 11am. If you fancy giving racing a go and there's nothing suitable in your loft then we have some club cars available for you to have a try at racing. just lets us know and we'll get you set up with one for a trial meeting.

Hope to see you at the club.

Richard
retro_ryan
Getting started
Getting started

Post by retro_ryan »

Thanks for the reply richard, the loft collection has a tamiya celica ta01,tamiya gtr ta01 and i also have randomly a 1999 yokomo mr-4tc which i have never run,would that qualify?
Buggies i have a manta ray,egress,avante 2001. Where would be a good place to get some batteries as i'm sure my 15+ year old ones arn't the best!
Eddystone

Post by Eddystone »

Hi Ryan,

Bring any of the road cars down to the club you fancy racing and I'm sure we can get you going. You are probably right about your batteries - I doubt they will have much life left in them. I've got some spare NiMh batteries with the Tamiya plug you are welcome to borrow to race with. No point spending any money until you know whether the club suits you. We have had TA01s raced previously. And I've raced with old Tamiya TL01, M03, and M04 chassis cars. There's a couple of TT01 cars racing currently in the Quicksilver class with GTR shells on them. Your Yokomo looks like it would be a very suitable car for class. Any touring car chassis qualifies - the class restriction is that cars must be running stock silver can 27 turn 540 size motors such as the standard Tamiya kit supplied motor.

Richard
retro_ryan
Getting started
Getting started

Post by retro_ryan »

Thanks Richard, I will bring the yokomo down as the ta01 are more or less collectables, i need to get a ESC for it as i originally had a ko propo which i took out as it was never used and i think the motor is a 24 degree stock which i guess doesn't qualify! Who would be good to get some bits and pieces for it?
Eddystone

Post by Eddystone »

Seems wise Ryan, If the TA01s are still looking good best to keep them that way. The club has suitable motors available for sale - HPI Saturn 27T or Tamiya Mabuchi 540 motors - I think they're £7 each - or you could just borrow one out of your TA01s. Personally I use a standard Tamiya ESC such as the TEU-101BK usually off ebay. BUT then my reasons for this are the they are cheap, easily available and have instant reverse, handy when you drive like me!! Other Quicksilver racers may suggest other ESCs for other reasons. Richard
retro_ryan
Getting started
Getting started

Post by retro_ryan »

Thanks Richard, yeah i know what you mean about the reverse! I'll see if i can get hold of a cheap esc and borrow some batteries if thats ok.What happens with the radios? just different crystals?
Eddystone

Post by Eddystone »

Most racers nowadays are using 2.4Ghz radio gear, some are using 40Mhz, and very few are using the 27Mhz bands anymore. I suspect you've got the older 27Mhz type. When we book in to the race computer we give our preferred crystal choice. If once the heats are worked out that clashes with anyone else in your heat then it will flag up and we'll sort out swapping over someone's crystals. I wouldn't worry about it - but if you have more than one set of crystals then bring them along. If not we always find someone who will lend us a pair. Although the racers may look like a serious bunch all busying themselves with their own cars they're actually a really friendly bunch :n1
retro_ryan
Getting started
Getting started

Post by retro_ryan »

Yeah my gear is ancient! I guess it's serious business but i'm just in for a laugh! Look out for the newbie as i won't have a clue.
Eddystone

Post by Eddystone »

Dont' worry Ryan - you'll fit right in. Last race meeting I ran a 1997 Tamiya TL01 chassised Peugeot 406 - badly! I always say I go racing mainly to drink the coffee and eat the chocolate! I'm out to enjoy running the RC cars more than out to win. Quicksilver class is meant to be just the sort of place we fit in. Racing as cheap as you want it to be and open to all abilities. I think you'll enjoy it. You'll find me pitting in the sports hall furthest away from the doors, near the race control computer ( and the coffee and chocolate!! ) My race cars are usually yellow. Seek me out and we'll try to make your first meeting a good one.
retro_ryan
Getting started
Getting started

Post by retro_ryan »

Don't think my yoko will be ready for saturday, still waiting on the esc and still has the motor from 1999 which i think is a 25/23T but am not sure. Could still pop down,if anyone can help me out then i'd appreciate it!
Eddystone

Post by Eddystone »

Bring it down with enough time to sort it out and hopefully we'll get it racing. I've got an ESC or 2 knocking about you can borrow. Motor shouldn't be a problem either - or motors are available to buy from the club ( if anybody knows where we put them at the end of the last indoor season!! ) Also as a new visitor to the club you'll be allowed to run whatever motor you've got in it short term as you wouldn't be scoring any championship points any way.
retro_ryan
Getting started
Getting started

Post by retro_ryan »

ok thanks Richard, did you say get down for 11? There seems to be a real lack of model shops in the area compared to a few years ago!
Eddystone

Post by Eddystone »

Yes Ryan, I'm usually down about 11.15am - ( ish!! ).

You're absolutely right about the local modelshops though. As far as I'm concerned they don't exist. All my buying is done through the internet. http://www.modelsport.co.uk being one of the easiest places to spend my money! .
DazLee
Experienced Member
Experienced Member
Name: Darren Lee

Post by DazLee »

Hi,

On the model shop front, I believe Eric is still going (Concept Racing) trading from Punctillio Modelspot in Hinckley.
His contact details should be available on the forum. He can usually get just about anything you are after but not sure how much he keeps in stock.

Alternatively, as Richard Said Modelsport are very good, as are Demon Power Products. (Usually next day delivery)

The only model shops local...ish that deal with car stuff I can think of are Kits & Bits in Binley, Coventry and FTD Models also in Coventry (Providing they are open again after the break in)and then a bit further away MB Models trading from Ardent in Kings Newton Derbyshire and then PBM in Nottingham.

Hope this helps
Daz