Important announcement

Post anything that does not fit into any of the other forums.
JamesG

Re: Important announcement

Post by JamesG »

Like I said before disabled access should be something that is thought about in the long term. You cannot just say it's too expensive so if you are disabled then tough, thats the whole point of DDA and the EA.

Providing a ramp to the rostrum is only one part of the consideration, level access to the pits and toilets are also things to be considered.

For info there are limits to the lengths of ramps as well as the gradients and maximum rise, to provide a ramp to the top of the container the total length of ramp would need to be 50 meters with multiple landings.
DazLee
Experienced Member
Experienced Member
Name: Darren Lee

Post by DazLee »

James,
At no point have I said catering for disabled people will be to expensive!! Only that a lift would be too expensive, not practical and just wont work.
Now, I think we are all in agreement that a 50m ramp is ridiculous so where do we go from here??
Anyway, if I don't get the go ahead and some sort if movement from someone on the committee soon we wont have a rostrum for anyone to use.
I am not ordering anything until I have the official go ahead and some funds.....the way the whole project is going I could well see myself out of pocket for some time!!

Any word from the committee yet???
Anyone???
Gazza
Forum Fisherman
Name: GAZZA
Car: Mardave V12

Post by Gazza »

£200 and jobs a good un :lol: :lol: :lol: now its the same for every one

Ian_Smith
Committee
Committee
Name: Ian Smith
Car: Schumacher Mi4LP

Post by Ian_Smith »

Darren,

I don't know whether Roger has been reading this thread, so I have just sent him a text message to let him know that you are waiting for commitment from him that we are willing to finance the rostrum.

Ian
Schumacher Mi4LP / Hobbywing Justock / Speed Passion V3.0 17.5
"Speed is nothing without Control" - wish I had just one of 'em! :-)
DazLee
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by DazLee »

Ok, thanks Ian.
Wacker2
Name: Jon Seals(Wacker2)
Car: TLR 22

Post by Wacker2 »

What access have we got at JCC College for disabled racers outdoors... answer NONE

What access have we got at JCC College for disabled racers indoors... answer NONE

How many disabled people do we have racing at HRCCC... answer NONE

What access for disabled racers do local club Coventry have... answer NONE

How many other clubs in our Mid West region have catered for disabled racers when arranging their rostrum/track layout... answer NONE

How many disabled people do we know of that race on a regular basis that is likely to be racing at our club... answer NONE

How many complaints would the BRCA have had due to lack of disabled access at our RC tracks... answer NONE (dont know this for definate but betting its a good guess!)

So can somebody PLEASE tell me why everybody seems to be getting their knickers in an almighty twist worrying about something that doesn't matter???!

Like Daz said... at this rate we wont have a rostrum in place for anybody to use... so lets concentrate on what matters and get things moving on the rostrum.

Seems like nobody has a clue whats going on... is Craig Nutting still alive??? I remember him volunteering for project manager of the move but communication seems non existant!!!

I'll be there next weekend as I 'beleive' there will be a work party going on (unless somebody tells me otherwise) - unfortunately I dont finish work until 8pm Monday - Friday so I'm unavailable during the week but I'm here to help where I can.

I'm sure everybody feels the same way so lets crack on and get it sorted!!!

JB :D
Concept Racing
Experienced Member
Experienced Member
Name: Eric Wilcock
Car: XB8TQ, HB C12

Post by Concept Racing »

Might be worth reading this thread on Oople about this subject.

http://www.oople.com/forums/showthread.php?t=64772
Gazza
Forum Fisherman

Post by Gazza »

Gazza wrote:Any way here is a "for example case "

Do you remember the young lad who came in a wheel chair

Yo do well not in JB case

I don't know him personally but is this why he does not come any more just a thought :hmm
Gazza
stuck in a corner all day every 1 pits right up to the track JB . . .plus how does he go to the toilet :n1

how many people dont go to to other clubs who are disabled possable 100's because they cant get access JB. .
Wacker2 wrote:What access have we got at JCC College for disabled racers outdoors... answer NONE
PMSL. . . now look at the out door track and tell me how the hell do you get to the drivers rostrum in a wheel chair :evil:

What access have we got at JCC College for disabled racers indoors... answer NONE
thats why they dont come

How many disabled people do we have racing at HRCCC... answer NONE
one ME

What access for disabled racers do local club Coventry have... answer NONE
thats why they dont come

How many other clubs in our Mid West region have catered for disabled racers when arranging their rostrum/track layout... answer NONE
thats why they dont come

How many disabled people do we know of that race on a regular basis that is likely to be racing at our club... answer NONE
wrong 1 ME

How many complaints would the BRCA have had due to lack of disabled access at our RC tracks... answer NONE (dont know this for definate but betting its a good guess!)
thats because we dont moan because of comments like these very bad and it hurts JB. . .
tell you what if you are ever in an accident and find your self wheel bound . . . . ..

JB :doh

So can somebody PLEASE tell me why everybody seems to be getting their knickers in an almighty twist worrying about something that doesn't matter???!
talk about being discriminatied against JB top of the class

Tell you what you have your rostrum with no stairs and lets see how you get up there ( think about it )

Good find by the way Eric it is an eye opener as I am finding out my self as the weeks go by im getting worse so its a matter of time before I end up in a chair :(

But as I said before OUR club could lead and then Others could follow :n1

Also could the council help out with any thing just an idea
Ben Cosgrove
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by Ben Cosgrove »

Gary

Your point is well made.

I like how you make it sound like if we put a ramp on the rostrum we could have 100's of disabled people turn up to the meeting.

I have been to many races/clubs/events over my time and I know of maybe 5 disabled people in total who race. It was more but sadly some are no longer here.

As a club we have looked at this and the new site is way more wheelchair friendly, no steps for toilets and flat ground for viewing etc.

However the rostrum is not accessible to wheelchairs like 99% of other clubs in the UK and Europe.

Ardent is the exception as they have the small ramp in front.

Anyway onto making this thing happen

Darren - My dad is fully aware of the rostrum situation and money etc. I believe you have the full go ahead on the rostrum and the club will provide funds for you to do this. The container should be delivered today 3rd May (if someone is on site to meet them Craig?) and then you can measure it up etc for fitting as we need the rostrum in place before the 14th May as we are due to race then.

I went to the site yesterday evening, the grass has had a top layer cut and looked better....however it is going to be like racing on the moon in its current state so I hope plans have been made to flatten it off?? and cut it way shorter?

I will not be able to make any work parties this coming weekend as I will be going to USA for a week but should be back in time for Saturday 14th race day :D

Ben
HPI/Hot Bodies/Maverick/Merlin/Optifuel/GM/Muchmore UK/CustomBlitz/Hudy
DazLee
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by DazLee »

Hi all,

I am hoping to go measure up the container toninght.......can someone with a key please meet me there so I can look at the staircase and how it fits?

I will probably need someone to help me lift it into position...this will allow me to measure everything.

Providing I have the go ahead and funds, I can get the materials in a couple of days and can get someone to help me fit it all this coming weekend.

So, if all goes well the rostrum will be ready in plenty of time........ :D

Thanks
Daz
JamesG

Post by JamesG »

Daz I could give you a hand tonight, what time are you going down? I'm clear after 7.30
Gazza
Forum Fisherman

Post by Gazza »

Now Ben you know as well as I do there will never be 100's of disabled people turning up :lol:

All I suggested all along was to try and make it so all can race

the site at JCC was even a try out for me going down is ok but getting back up wow that really hurt my back

I have not been to the site as you called it on the same night as we race at Ardent but if you have a go ahead for a container and then Daz to get some stairs made how easy would it be to get a JCB and put a Earth mound at the rear so it makes a ramp ?

You never know I may turn up for some buggy racing :n1 :D
DazLee
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by DazLee »

An earth mound is out of the question!
Current legislation states that hand rails would be required on either side of the mound of earth. (See, we can all be silly and go 'by the book')
And, im pretty sure the rugby club would not be too keen on the idea of a mound of earth being dug up!

If we are going to do something with my involvement we are going to do it properly.

Now, before you go jumping down my throat and accusing me of saying catering for the disabled has been dismissed as being silly........thats not what I am saying!

As/when the rostrum is useable I will look into modifications / adapting it to fit a ramp......it will not be too expensive and shouldn't be too hard to sort out.

I havent jumped in and said this before becasue most of the posts (Abseiling pic...for example) are just being silly and winding people up....and not constructive in any way. And probably make people less likely to take the disabled request seriously!

Congrats Gaz on turning people against your own cause because they think you are just **** stirring!!!
I will however look into it once we have a useable facility.

Anyway, James, I will be there from about 6.00pm onwards until I have what I need. Craig nutting is meeting me there but feel free to pop in when you can.

James, can I ask where the 50m dimension came in for the ramp? This would give an incline angle of 2.7deg......this seems awfully shallow to me.

By shortening this to 10m you only have an incline angle of 13.5degs............and members could help by wheeling people up in wheelchairs?

If we put a platform like Ardent have at say 1.5m high then you could easily fit a ramp with an incline of less than 20deg in the length of the container.......with a flat platform of about 8ft in length???

Thanks
Daz
Ben Cosgrove
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by Ben Cosgrove »

The container is on site now!!!! :D

Sorry Gary but we may have to risk that you dont turn up for a while as we simply dont have the man power/resources to do that yet.

This is part of a long term co-operation with the Rugby/Netball club, as you would have known if you took a night off your racing to support the club you are kind of taking a 'dig' at pardon the pun. Once they get on site we plan to redevelop things, that is when we will make it more of a permanent facility :)

Looks like we will be able to have a work party this weekend to get the track sorted 8)

Ben
HPI/Hot Bodies/Maverick/Merlin/Optifuel/GM/Muchmore UK/CustomBlitz/Hudy
DazLee
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by DazLee »

Ben, and anyone else that is interested......
I believe the plan is to take all the track markings down this Saturday....is this correct?

Sorry to sound like the angel of doom all the time but the container roof is going to need quite a lot of strengthening....meaning we will need access in and out.

Hopefully this can be done Saturday.....but if not we will need another work party to help empty and reload the container.

It seems I am going to have to reluctantly start with no funds.....beginning to regret volunteering for any involvement.

Thanks
Daz