End of season trophies - love them or hate them?

Post anything that does not fit into any of the other forums.

Championship trophies - love 'em or hate 'em?

I love the trophies and I am delighted to receive another one to proudly display.
50%
Trophies are just junk, I'd be happy with just a certificate instead of a trophy.
38%
Yum - I fancy the idea of edible prizes instead!
13%

Total votes: 8

Eddystone
Name: Richard Dobson
Car: Tamiya TA05v2IFS

End of season trophies - love them or hate them?

Post by Eddystone »

Seeing the boxes of uncollected trophies from past seasons still lingering in the store cupboard last weekend I was prompted into thinking whether trophies are appreciated. The club has invested good money into producing the trophies and it's certainly taken some effort from someone to get them produced - but are they wanted? Which got me thinking. Should we keep on issuing trophies at the end of each season? Would just a certificate do? Would you rather have something edible as a prize? I'm thinking something along the lines of chocolate Easter eggs as trophies at the end of this indoor season. So what do you think?
Gazza
Forum Fisherman
Name: GAZZA
Car: Mardave V12

Re: End of season trophies - love them or hate them?

Post by Gazza »

The trophies are appreciated trust me. . . it all depends on the circumstances . . . .

For example . ..

Seasons ends say October and trophies are passed out in March ?

Bit of a wait I know but possable by then people have forgot or unaware of the trophie that they may have to collect.
And not many people log on to the Site to see the anouncement if there are names on the trophies then I guess some one will know who they are and pop an e-mail or tell them about it

I wont tell you about mine I got today. . .. dated Autum 2009 . .. PMSL . . .

So what dates are on the ones you seen :wink:
hb-dom
Average Member
Average Member
Name: dom mcgee

Post by hb-dom »

As the 12th guys from last season didnt get trophies, as no one turned up for 7 rounds :oops:
do we get edible prizzes instead :mrgreen:
Gazza
Forum Fisherman
Name: GAZZA
Car: Mardave V12

Post by Gazza »

LOL they were left in the back room . . . And now the sell by date has expired :lol:
Eddystone
Name: Richard Dobson
Car: Tamiya TA05v2IFS

Post by Eddystone »

Gazza - some of the trophies we've got stored date back some years longer than the one you won!! A quick look through them and many names were unfamiliar to me so I think many of them no longer race with us. If there's any for current Hinckley racers then we will get them to them and I guess dispose of the rest - there's no point storing them for ever.

The response to this survey seems to show to me that people are generally indifferent about the current trophies. Currently 63 views of the thread but only 5 votes cast and only 3 of them in fovour of them. It would seem that it may be time to reconsider the whole awards system, especially when you take into account that the average price of the trophies given out last week was £8 each. In most cases that seems to be £8 wasted on an uncollected or unappreciated tacky trophy. I won two - don't get me wrong I'm delighted to have won the awards but I really don't have any desire ( or room! ) to display a couple of tin cups.

So if anyone has any thoughts on this subject or ideas as to how the awards could be better then now is the time to speak up (OK type up!)

Richard
DazLee
Experienced Member
Experienced Member
Name: Darren Lee

Post by DazLee »

Hi All,

I think I am of the same opinion as most people....I like to win an award but dont really care for trophies. They take up too much room and only end up in a box in the back room or loft anyway!

I have thought about a couple of things and think that perhaps a gift certificate for a local model shop would be a good idea??
(For the same value as a trophy..?)
Something around £10 - 1st, £7.50 - 2nd and £5 for 3rd........this would help a little with the cost of what is a very expensive hobby....and help out a local model shop.

I know Eric doesnt come down anymore.....and I am led to believe this is because he is working saturdays now to help make a living as the shop wasnt proving successful on a saturday..!!! Please correct me if I am wrong???

Perhaps gift certificates for Concept Racing...??? That would help out Eric and the racers......???

Let me know what you think......anyone???

Thanks
Darren
Ian_Smith
Committee
Committee
Name: Ian Smith
Car: Schumacher Mi4LP

Post by Ian_Smith »

Personally, I tend to agree that trophies end up gathering dust in the back of a cupboard or loft, and should be replaced with some other award. Whether that be a voucher, a printed certificate or perhaps a number of weeks free racing or something like that I don't know. However I do think that trophies for Juniors should be kept - I know that when Chris started out he was thrilled to get a trophy.

I'm not sure about a voucher for any specific model shop, I have tried a couple of local ones in the last couple of weeks and couldn't get what I wanted (although I guess that if I'd asked the things I wanted could have been ordered in for me - but they were consumables so I'll just order online from somewhere else).

One thought I did have though is that perhaps a page could be added to the website so that the top three of every class and championship could be put up for posterity.

Ian
Schumacher Mi4LP / Hobbywing Justock / Speed Passion V3.0 17.5
"Speed is nothing without Control" - wish I had just one of 'em! :-)
DerbyDan
Name: Dan Wooster
Car: Corally Phi

Post by DerbyDan »

Oooh - is there a trophy in there for me?? I won the 13.5 class last year?

I must admit I missed the announcement that they were going to be handed out & have been unable to get over to Hinckley on a Saturday as much as i'd like this side of the new year :(

Personally I like the idea of having an end of season trophy.... I can remember Bitd when you got a trophy for pretty much every meeting you turned up to & for virtually every position in the A final right down to the F! Now it seems very rare to get a trophy, but by having them for an end of championship gives you something to aim for & encourages you to keep attending in order to to enough rounds to count. I haven't won a trophy for years so would be pleased to recieve one!

One critism I would say is that it would be nice if they were handed out a bit soner after the championship had ended.... or better still on the last meeting of the season, it nicely rounds up the championship & makes the presentation more meaningfull.