HRCCC Team Race??

Post anything that does not fit into any of the other forums.

Would you be interested in team race at HRCCC?

Yes
86%
No
7%
May be
7%

Total votes: 14

tomjgardner
Average Member
Average Member

HRCCC Team Race??

Post by tomjgardner »

After reading about the 12th team race at ardent, I wondered if we could stage something similar at Hinckley.

Here are a few ideas I have had:

My preference would be for a touring car team race and that the whole team each used their own cars but, a RTR or kit\ car that the team shared would be an option. ( whatever the majority want?)

We could run after a meeting on Saturday (saves putting the track out again).

We could run up to 10 teams using handout transponders and make it the teams responsibility to keep them charged throughout the race.

I was thinking of about 5-6 driver per team based on one driving, one marshalling, one watching and ready to swap car\transponder and the other 2-3 getting ready or resting.

We could use all use the silver can motors handed out at the start of the race and do a short stint at the beginning of the meeting which involved putting the motor in the car and starting the race in say 30-60 min period. (this could also involve putting tyres on if we used a control tyre). This way there would be a bit of racing in the pits as well as on the track and car speeds should be close.

Another option is to split the race into stints, this could be:

1st stint as above, build or install kit in car and race.

2nd stint traditional team race (as many laps as you can in a time period)

3rd stint the team race to achieve a specific number of laps in a target time.
i.e. over a period of 25 mins the teams aim for 100 laps, this would make the drivers and a spotter work together to achieve the desired time.

The scores would then be added together for each of the stints.

Any ideas thoughts??

And of course this could be opend up to teams from other clubs.
Last edited by tomjgardner on Tue Nov 16, 2010 8:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hail Ming
Expert Member
Expert Member
Name: James Carroll
Car: MM & X2 Evo

Re: HRCCC Team Race??

Post by Hail Ming »

Hi Tom,

I like your idea - especially from a QuickSilver perspective (although I'm probably biased :wink: ). I think this would be good for the Club and everyone participating.

If (via this thread) you can drum up some support, I'll raise it with the committee.

Cheers

James
Try 'Quick Silver', the Amazing Silver Can Powered Touring Car Class at HRCCC
tomjgardner
Average Member
Average Member

Post by tomjgardner »

Thanks for your support James, I would really like to see this succeed like you say we just need to gauge interest from others at the club and possibly further afield.

Not sure how you start a poll on the forum but it could be an idea to see how many might be interested, anyone know how to do this?
Webmaster
The website guy
Name: Ben McQueen
Car: Xray T2 09

Post by Webmaster »

Hi, Tom. I wrote a tutorial on making polls here.
Hope this helps.
tomjgardner
Average Member
Average Member

Post by tomjgardner »

Thanks Ben, I will see what i can do.

1 poll coming up, hopfully?
tomjgardner
Average Member
Average Member

Post by tomjgardner »

OK that seems to have worked, if everybody could vote in the poll that would be great.

A few other things to consider are:

Using the extra width of carpet for a bigger track

If people want to form their own teams or have them picked out of a hat.

It could be organised for charity. If so I have my own thoughts on a charity but lets see what you all think first.
JamesG

Post by JamesG »

Sounds like a laugh, I'd be up for this.

A tt01 can be put together fairly quickly and are cheap too, so you could extend it slightly by having each team build their kit as part of the race. It will obviously will add to the cost but if it's all for charity the cars can be auctioned off afterwards.
Dale
Expert Member
Expert Member
Name: Dale Knight
Car: TOP Photon

Post by Dale »

Hi Guys,

I am committed to making this work and would like to have a charity edge to it if possible. I was looking to do this last year but time meant I did not arrange it.

Several manufacturers have RTR cars which would be my preference as they will supply cheaper for charity and means no advantage to any one team and no damage to own equipment.

It would be great to have 10 teams of different clubs etc and run it Saturday after racing throughout Saturday night and finish Sunday morning (12 hour endurance none stop).

How about that?
Chris Packer
Name: Chris Packer

Post by Chris Packer »

Sounds like great fun. Wear and tear would definitely be an issue if an endurance event. I would not like to run any motor & speed controller continuously so maybe would need 2 sets of electronics or 2 cars per team. Something with low maintenance would be ideal. The TT01E sounds like a good call with its gear diffs and friction dampers.

If you're looking for a good local charity, as a sufferer of Chronic Kidney Disease I could recommend the Kidney Care Appeal which is a local Leicester Charity.

http://www.le.ac.uk/ii/kidney/importance.html
Hail Ming
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by Hail Ming »

I agree that a charity event is the way to go and preferably a local one as this should increrase the chance of coverage by local press and interest from other local clubs. The charity aspect may also appeal to RC publications, BRCA, fundraising matching from employers, RC manufacturers etc. Lots to ways to promote the event for everyone's benefit...

Equipment

Ansmann make an entry level touring car kit (ARE-2) that looks ideal for the job (see link)...

http://www.modelsport.co.uk/index.php?product_id=3699

...a rolling chassis with a sealed silver can motor (not sure of the no. of turns). Even if the manufacturer, supplier or a model shop sponsor was unable to provide a discount - at £55, the car would be affordable.

A handout esc would be a good idea - you can get cheap escs off ebay for about £10 (see link)...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/300A-ESC-Speed-Co ... 35ae02fe8c

Radio gear would be supplied by the team...

I think it would also be a good idea to limit the number of battery packs to just 2 per team (ideally handout high capacity (say 4000mAh) NiMH packs if we could source some cheaply or have them donated by a manufacturer etc.) - this would emphasise the endurance element of the race and introduce pitting tactics.

Race Format

I like the idea of building the kit as part of the race - this would require team working and again adds to the endurance element i.e. if you bodge the car together to be the first onto the track you're likely to be spending more time maintaining it during the race.

10 teams of 6 would be good for a number of reasons - rotation of drivers, equalising the skill strength of any particular team, reduced costs for the individual, increased potential for fundraising for the chosen charity, healthy number of PR opportunities etc.

If this is a goer (Dale seems keen) - we'll need to appoint an organising team (say 3 or 4) and start planning the event. I'm happy to help organise (either taking the lead or supporting). Do we have any other volunteers?

James
Chris Packer
Name: Chris Packer

Post by Chris Packer »

Would it really work with just 2 sets of batteries. After a 5 minute race it takes 15-20 mins to charge at 1c with my Lipo battery in the quicksilver class. So to run a car continuously you will need 4-5 batteries, i.e 3-4 batteries charging whilst 1 battery is being run in the car. Even if you ran for longer than 5 minutes the battery charging time would still be 3-4 times the discharge time. Or am I getting this wrong? Are you thinking of some sneaky tactic to run continuously with just 2 batteries? Or is the idea to run as many laps on 2 batteries as you can even if it does mean time is spent just waiting for the batteries to charge?

Would the teams need to supply their own chargers? Wouldn't nimh batteries stuggle with being charged multiple times? Cheap Lipo could be the way forward. You can buy 25c 3000mah for £5 on ebay.

One thing that concerns me is the overall cost of running a 12 hour event. A 12 hour race is 720 minutes which is equivalent to just under 29 race weekends at HRCCC. So most equipment would need to be brand new to ensure it lasted the full 720 minutes. If the costs are high I'm not sure how effective this would be in raising cash for charity. And would the school really allow running an event over night? Alternatively the track could be left laid out on the Saturday and the event could run on the Sunday.

I think it's going to take a while to organise such an event, but we could run something similar and sooner to drum up interest. When I used to race down south my local club ran a special end of season event around Easter time. The whole event was run instead of a normal race meet and took about the same amount of time to run. Teams would be drawn out of a hat and would run relay races. Therefore each team member would run there own cars. We could do the same and each team could have a mix of Mardaves, Quicksilvers, 13.5t and 10.5t cars. The run time during the event would be about the same as a normal race weekend so wear and tear would be the same as normal. In addition my old club gave prizes for other stuff such as concours. I believe there was also a caravan race where the racers built their own caravans and towed them with their rc cars. The main idea was that it was more about fun and not too serious. We could run a raffle during the event and get RC manufacturers to donate equipment for the raffle. All proceeds could go to charity.
Hail Ming
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by Hail Ming »

Hi Chris,

A 4000mAh battery should last about 25 minutes with a silver can - perhaps a little longer if you were to drive economically - so 3 packs rather than 2 may be required to allow for charging - the point being that battery strategy should be an integral part of the event. I'd don't think the cells would be much use after the event - hence getting a job lot of cheap obsolete packs. Are the LiPo cells you've seen hard cased?

The costs to the individual wouldn't be too high - something in the region of about £15 - 20, which for 720 minutes of racing is a bargain. I was probably thinking the money for the charity would be raised separately by the team via a sponsorship form with the chosen charity's registration details on to make it official - perhaps set a minimum threshold per team. Raffles and auctions (perhaps using eBay to increase the audience) for any items donated by event sponsors could also be used to increase the fundraising.

Your idea RE holding a special race meeting is interesting - although the race fees would need to be increased to account for the donation to charity.

Cheers

James
JamesG

Post by JamesG »

The ansman kit looks perfect for the job, apart from the addition of ball races I think they should be run as standard with each team using the same ESC.
Hail Ming
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by Hail Ming »

Just found these cells on ebay that should do the trick...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... K:MEWAX:IT

£11 a pack (inc. delivery) - they have over 900 in stock!

I reckon the total outlay per team (i.e. Ansmann kit, 3 x cells and speedo) would be approx. £100 - split 6 ways is just £17 per person. The rest of the equipment could easily be found by each team - everyone already as a charger and most people have spare radio gear kicking around.

On the fundraising front - If each person managed to raise just £20 - this would be a total of £1200 for the chosen charity (on the basis of 60 participants) - but I think the total could be significantly more...

James
Eddystone
Name: Richard Dobson
Car: Tamiya TA05v2IFS

Post by Eddystone »

A charity endurance race seems a great idea - but I'm not sure an over nighter is the best way to do it. For a start some of us seriously need our beauty sleep! :mrgreen: Wouldn't the chance of pulling in 60+ drivers to take part be more likely with sociable hours? Maybe not get hung up on the idea of a 12 hour endurance. An 8 or 10 hour endurance race on a Sunday with reasonable start and end times might be a lot more attractive proposition, attract more racers, and therefore raise more in fees and sponsorship. It might also then be able to get wider interest in the event and in the club and attract non-racing visitors to come down and have a look. Especially if we can offer more such as charity tea, coffee, and mince pies etc